1L summer internship

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
middleawkward123

New

1L summer internship

Postby middleawkward123 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:19 am

Last edited by middleawkward123 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: 1L summer internship

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:22 am

You can't get a clerkship over the summer, so I assume you're referring to a judicial internship.

I would do work that interests you, unless there's a specific judge you really want to clerk for after school. Even then, you'll probably still have the opportunity to intern for the judge during the school year, which is not always the case for some non-profits. The only real game-changer would be if you plan on going into PI after school. If that's the case, then you want to take every opportunity to establish your commitment to public service.

middleawkward123

New

Postby middleawkward123 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 am

^ Oops, yes. Internship. I guess I am just pressured to think like everybody else who is crazy over judicial internships and how they are prestigious... I am concerned that accepting a position in PI for this summer and not trying out for judicial internship will look bad for OCI. (please correct this misconception LOL)

Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:30 am

No, judicial internships are just often the path of least resistance - you can usually find one somewhere. If there's something else you want to do, do that. Judicial internships aren't inherently prestigious.

middleawkward123

New

Postby middleawkward123 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:23 am

^ Thank you! What if it is between a government agency v. PI organization? If my ultimate goal is government work, should I choose this over PI org.? PI seems to have more interesting work, but I am curious how the bureaucracy/govt. system works...

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 am

middleawkward123 wrote:^ Thank you! What if it is between a government agency v. PI organization? If my ultimate goal is government work, should I choose this over PI org.? PI seems to have more interesting work, but I am curious how the bureaucracy/govt. system works...

I think you should try anything that interests you. Your 1L summer has very little bearing on what you do for the rest of your career. Find something that sounds fun/exciting/intellectually stimulating, and do that. If you work for your local civil rights organization, it will not preclude you from working in a federal agency next year, and vice versa.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�