Dropping Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DCtarheel

New

Dropping

Post by DCtarheel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Deep lurker in the posts..but need some help

1L at a t40 school hoping for a firm job in NY, DC or the Southeast in corporate law. 3.0 GPA with a weird mix of grades (A-,B+,B+,C+,C). Bottom of the rankings with this GPA though. Do I drop or stick it out? Career services/ admin has been incredible unhelpful about giving an honest assessment. I really want to be a lawyer, I enjoy the work and switched careers( I have 5 years of work experience in tech) to go back to school. I am in my very early thirties. Enough savings will pay through 2L no problem, so low debt.

I worked very hard last semester. I read TLS, used E and Es, did LEEWs and did flashcards and outlines. Writing is weak naturally but meeting with a tutor to improve for exams. The C+ was the result of a 10 pt deduction that I am appealing, the raw score would have given me a B+. I feel like I have an okay handle on the law and am busting my ass outside to close the gaps on my test taking. That said, this is what employers will see.I don't want a government job and would prefer not to take a job that will pay less than I was making going into school (90K) Any advice would be appreciated. Fully realize the implications of a T40 status and the GPA on career prospects. At wits end and could use the help. Thanks guys.

grades??

Silver

Re: Dropping

Post by grades?? » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:47 pm

You won't be getting a firm job making above 90k with these grades. Even if you improve and second semester crush it, sounds like you would still be at median. Median at t40 isn't gonna get you the job you want (maybe even a job at all). Given these circumstances, dropping out is the right advice here

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Post by DrSpaceman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Meh- if you really wanna be a lawyer and are going to avoid too much debt, it's your call. Careers are long, and they evolve, but yeah, you're going to get killed at OCI. You're at AU, yeah? That's gonna be a really tough nut to crack. But if you open your mind to other things, you will find a way to be a lawyer.

Everyone else is going to tell you to drop out, and that I'm encouraging you to commit suicide. But you do you.

Edited to hedge: That said, long game doesn't help the fact that the next few years are going to be gut-wrenching as you figure out your landing. May not be worth it if you already have a career you can return to. But at the end of the day, you really can't outsource the decision.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:59 pm

DCtarheel wrote:The C+ was the result of a 10 pt deduction that I am appealing, the raw score would have given me a B+.
Is that the only deduction you got? Professors really don't give those out much, so I'm also curious about your relationships with your teachers. If you strike out at OCI, the only thing that can possibly make up for it is personal charm and networking hustle. If you managed to piss off your professor enough to get a deduction on an exam, that may not be a viable approach for you.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 pm

5 years experience working in tech? What kind of tech and what was your undergrad degree in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”