Not excited about creepy professor

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hella_hyphy_hominid

New

Not excited about creepy professor

Postby hella_hyphy_hominid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:34 am

I was very excited to take Crim. The professor is super friendly and we hit it off right away. I thought he was a cool, friendly dude. However, it turns out that he made out with a female student once at a school function and has been generally inappropriate in the past. Aside from that, he talked about rape really awkwardly in class today (the first class of the semester). He was like (I'm paraphrasing, but it was no less cringey) "Back in the day, we would have been talking at length about what constitutes penetration. Now, we talk about consent, which is interesting, because where is the line, you know? I mean, some people like sex, if you can believe it... *grins*" By the way, he did not go into this ind of detail about other crimes in this class. He also said that he's been advised to keep the doors open in office hours, but he won't, because "once, a female student, very attractive, by the way, asked me to close the door because she wanted privacy" He also mentioned that we should tell him if we feel triggered because of something that happened in the past (which I am NOT doing, because it will make me a target, even though I already know I'm going to be super uncomfortable in this class).

Now, you would think that if a male professor has a confirmed reputation of being inappropriate towards his female students, he would try his best to be extra respectful. I understand the university can't do much if he has tenure, but can they make sure he opens his doors in office hours at least? Plus, he reserves the right to change our grades for "participation" and I am starting to think that we might be forced to choose between ignoring inappropriateness or having our grades suffer. Aside from this, I have a sinking feeling that he has already noticed me. Maybe it's past trauma clouding my perception of present circumstances, but I am not looking forward to crim at all. I also do not want to go to this guy's office hours and I am scared that my education will be impacted. No names, but if you go to my school, you know who I'm talking about.

Am I being crazy? How is this guy still teaching crim? How do I get through this semester?

hella_hyphy_hominid

New

Re: Not excited about creepy professor

Postby hella_hyphy_hominid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 am

Are we not supposed to talk about this? I don't know if nobody is responding because I am reading too far into this, or because people are afraid of this person.

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 am

This is exactly what the Dean of Students is for. If you're not feeling right about it, your school has an obligation to help.

hella_hyphy_hominid

New

Postby hella_hyphy_hominid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:52 am

mudiverse wrote:This is exactly what the Dean of Students is for. If you're not feeling right about it, your school has an obligation to help.

Even if he has done nothing at all to me? Is there any way to pose this question to them anonymously? Like do you recommend making an anonymous email account? I feel like I'm always the one stirring the pot and I don't want to draw attention to myself.

Burlington4174

New

Postby Burlington4174 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:52 am

If you're paraphrasing accurately captures what he said (or even comes close to doing so), then his comments and behavior strike me as inappropriate. It would be entirely reasonable -- in my view -- for you to bring what he said to an administrator.

hella_hyphy_hominid

New

Postby hella_hyphy_hominid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:05 am

Burlington4174 wrote:If you're paraphrasing accurately captures what he said (or even comes close to doing so), then his comments and behavior strike me as inappropriate. It would be entirely reasonable -- in my view -- for you to bring what he said to an administrator.

Alright, cool, because I tried to phrase what he said as accurately as possible. I wish some of my classmates were here who saw him say the same thing and could let me know if I'm wrong, but unless I'm hallucinating, that's how it went down.

Burlington4174

New

Postby Burlington4174 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:26 am

hella_hyphy_hominid wrote:
Burlington4174 wrote:If you're paraphrasing accurately captures what he said (or even comes close to doing so), then his comments and behavior strike me as inappropriate. It would be entirely reasonable -- in my view -- for you to bring what he said to an administrator.

Alright, cool, because I tried to phrase what he said as accurately as possible. I wish some of my classmates were here who saw him say the same thing and could let me know if I'm wrong, but unless I'm hallucinating, that's how it went down.

Have you talked to any of your friends or classmates about what he said? If he said what you believe he did, then I suspect others will also be concerned and eager to talk about it (at least they would be at my school).

hella_hyphy_hominid

New

Postby hella_hyphy_hominid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 am

Burlington4174 wrote:
hella_hyphy_hominid wrote:

Have you talked to any of your friends or classmates about what he said? If he said what you believe he did, then I suspect others will also be concerned and eager to talk about it (at least they would be at my school).

Yes. My friend and I were flabbergasted throughout the ordeal.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 am

I've never encountered anyone like this, and it sounds like he was saving his full court crazy for post tenure.

I suspect no one wanted to officially complain, which is why he has gotten away with it.

Just lay low and participate in class -- if "participation" is going to be a thing, than participate. Sadly, I don't think the DOS could or would do much besides maybe talking to him. Which will likely just enrage him and make him an even more insufferable asshole.

DO NOT go to his creepy closed door office hours alone. In fact, I would try to avoid office hours if possible, but if you need to go, bring a friend. I don't think he would do anything, but you don't want him to make a pass at you and then be a bitter betty when he is rejected.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�