Buy Hornbooks or Use Library? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LionKillerBJJ

New

Buy Hornbooks or Use Library?

Post by LionKillerBJJ » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm like half an hour from my school and have heard nothing but great things about hornbooks to cut down on study time. My library has the latest for crim law, but it's for library use only. Should I just buy a copy for my use at home, or perhaps take some iphone pics of the pages I need when I'm done studying at the library?

Thanks
Last edited by LionKillerBJJ on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGMotorsport

New

Re: Buy Hornbooks or Use Library?

Post by JGMotorsport » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Ask for a Cali.org membership from your library. It's very good on Crim Law and Property.

ebouchard

New

Post by ebouchard » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm a 1L, and I didn't buy hornbooks for my first semester courses. For some courses, I used ILLiad to borrow other schools' copies, and for some others, I just went to the library to read them occasionally (which was just to supplement things I didn't understand from the E&E and prof's lectures).

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:32 pm

google search "west academic login".

Login.

Never buy a supplement for law school again. It's bizarrely the best kept secret in law school -- it's the best.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:55 am

When you say "Hornbook" do you actually mean "Hornbook" or do you just mean the general term "supplement?"

I never used an actual Hornbook in law school. I'm confident you don't have to either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LionKillerBJJ

New

Post by LionKillerBJJ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:When you say "Hornbook" do you actually mean "Hornbook" or do you just mean the general term "supplement?"

I never used an actual Hornbook in law school. I'm confident you don't have to either.
I didn't realize hornbook was also a generic name for any supplement. I'm going by the TLS post about how to succeed in law school. He mentions some specific and expensive hornbooks.

LionKillerBJJ

New

Post by LionKillerBJJ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:33 pm

zhenders wrote:google search "west academic login".

Login.

Never buy a supplement for law school again. It's bizarrely the best kept secret in law school -- it's the best.
i have a free west law account, is this what you're referring to?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Nope. You'll need that Westlaw login, but your student login to Westlaw includes access to west academic'S study materials -- which includes access to hundreds of hornbooks and supplements for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”