Typo on exam?--anyone have experience w/ this?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TierForceOne

New

Typo on exam?--anyone have experience w/ this?

Postby TierForceOne » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:22 pm

"In A's claim against B, what will A's possible defenses be?

He/she meant to say "what will B's possible defenses be."

Some people just sat there confused, some answered as he/she wrote it (got creative I guess), and some answered it as intended.

Any idea on how he will handle the situation?

Context: My school has a "no man left behind kind of attitude" and we get a little babied. Tuition is high so I guess they think they need to go above and beyond to push us along. I can just imagine the entitled emails that are being sent to this professor saying "you must drop that question! It's not fair!" And while I get their argument, the question was a large portion of the test, and it's not fair to those who spent a large amount of time on it, or even chose to forego answering another question to answer this question.

Thoughts?

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Re: Typo on exam?--anyone have experience w/ this?

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

My school had this happen a few years back and I think the professor ended up making separate curves depending how people answered it - or basically just awarded points on different scales for people. We now have a policy that if there are typos or unclear questions, you're supposed to state your assumption (like "Assuming that this refers to B's possible defenses...") and then go ahead and answer the question.

Either way I wouldn't worry about it for now!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:19 pm

I wouldn't worry. So long as you stated which scenario you were operating under, and effectively wrote about that scenario, you'll be fine.

EzraFitz

Silver

Postby EzraFitz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:I wouldn't worry. So long as you stated which scenario you were operating under, and effectively wrote about that scenario, you'll be fine.

This. You won't be penalized for choosing either direction. In fact the confusion is likely to make grading more lenient than if it had been crystal clear.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Had a prof do this 1L on a civ pro exam. Gave out points either way. The prof announced what they intended like 1.5 hr in the exam to everyone. One girl freaked out.

lstrw

New

Postby lstrw » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:29 pm

Agree with the consensus - professor will know what you meant, and it should be fine. On my very first real 1L exam, I started out my answer by saying the defendant should prevail* -- only to conclude my answer by saying that the defendant should lose. Apart from a big sharpie question mark over my conclusion, my grade did not suffer at all.

* Starting with a conclusion, that you repeat at the end, is a good habit, for many questions, that way you don't forget to actually answer the call of the question. Just make sure to keep track of your conclusion and stay consistent...

TierForceOne

New

Postby TierForceOne » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:34 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:Had a prof do this 1L on a civ pro exam. Gave out points either way. The prof announced what they intended like 1.5 hr in the exam to everyone. One girl freaked out.

Hahahaha. Didn't have anyone freak out this year, but I was totally freaking out inside at some points throughout exam time.

hiima3L

Silver

Postby hiima3L » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:47 am

I had an exam where, IIRC, the fact pattern had something that was not in writing that had to be in writing to be enforceable. So almost all of us who spotted the issue said "This was not enforceable because it was not in writing." My friend assumed it was a typo/missing a fact and wrote "Alternatively, if it were in writing..."

Guess who got the highest grade on the exam?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�