Worried about a final

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nhil123

New

Worried about a final

Postby nhil123 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm a 1l at T50 law school. I had a final in contracts and used flashcards as well as supplements to study for my final. I created a master outline with all the information I gathered. However, on the final, I copied two sentence from two supplements verbatim on final and I'm now worried that this is considered plagiarism. I started making my outline a while ago and did not remember that I had taken sentences verbatim until after the exam.

What should I do?

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: Worried about a final

Postby Clemenceau » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:20 pm

I have no idea what the plagiarism rules are, but I wouldn't worry about this. It must happen all the time with open book/note exams. Just my opinion.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:22 pm

What should you do? Nothing. There's nothing you can do.

The professor probably won't even notice. He's grading lots of papers and will probably pass right over it without a second thought.

If you copied pure black letter law then you're fine. No one owns a formulation of black letter law.

For example it's not plagiarism to copy "Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought" directly from a supplement.

If you blatantly copied like a paragraph or more of original analysis then I could see that being problematic (if the professor even noticed), but a couple sentences? nah.

Stop being a neurotic law student and stop worrying.

nhil123

New

Postby nhil123 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:24 pm

It wasn't a black letter law, but an answer to what the restatement meant.

I totally forgot that I had made my flashcards with some answers that were verbatim from other stuff that I've read.

Those are the only two sentences in my 3000-word exam and I'm just freaking out because I'm worried that I would fail this class just because of two sentences...

AZ123

New

Postby AZ123 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time, especially if it's a random sentence here or there. Professors don't have time to stop and check individual lines for plagiarism when they are grading 60+ exams that are 15+ pages each. I imagine a lot of professors either skim the exam answers or at least read them very quickly.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:43 pm

Unless your professor wrote the supplement, I genuinely doubt they will ever even notice. Heck, even if they wrote it, they probably won't notice. If those are the only two sentences you copied word for word in the entire exam, then I seriously doubt this will be an issue even if they do notice.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:21 pm

I would not worry about this at all. I assume this is overall stress from law school and worrying about your grade manifesting itself more than genuine concern about that one particular matter.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�