What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splitterfromhell

Silver

What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby splitterfromhell » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:00 am

Cover letter even though it would also be attached? Just a brief note explaining my application materials are attached?

jrf12886

Bronze

Re: What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby jrf12886 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 am

No need to repeat the cover letter. Just something very simple such as:

Dear Judge [X]:

Attached please find my application for an internship in your chambers for [Spring/Fall/Summer] [Year]. Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
[Name]

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:18 am

Keep in mind that for some judges you may not have an email and will want to send a paper application anyway (depends on the judge).

splitterfromhell

Silver

Postby splitterfromhell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm

jrf12886 wrote:No need to repeat the cover letter. Just something very simple such as:

Dear Judge [X]:

Attached please find my application for an internship in your chambers for [Spring/Fall/Summer] [Year]. Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
[Name]

Is "To Whom It May Concern" poor form if it's not the judge's direct email but rather a special inbox for his clerkship apps?

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:18 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:No need to repeat the cover letter. Just something very simple such as:

Dear Judge [X]:

Respectfully,
[Name]

Is "To Whom It May Concern" poor form if it's not the judge's direct email but rather a special inbox for his clerkship apps?

I think it's unnecessary. (Your cover letter addresses the judge directly even though a clerk or JA may technically look at it first, right?)

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:44 am

mjb447 wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:

Dear Judge [X]:

Respectfully,
[Name]

I think it's unnecessary. (Your cover letter addresses the judge directly even though a clerk or JA may technically look at it first, right?)

Yep. Address it to the judge. You don't want it to come off as something you copied and pasted 100 times with no change.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�