What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
splitterfromhell

Silver
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:37 pm

What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby splitterfromhell » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:00 am

Cover letter even though it would also be attached? Just a brief note explaining my application materials are attached?

User avatar
jrf12886

Bronze
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Re: What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby jrf12886 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 am

No need to repeat the cover letter. Just something very simple such as:

Dear Judge [X]:

Attached please find my application for an internship in your chambers for [Spring/Fall/Summer] [Year]. Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
[Name]

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:18 am

Keep in mind that for some judges you may not have an email and will want to send a paper application anyway (depends on the judge).

User avatar
splitterfromhell

Silver
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby splitterfromhell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm

jrf12886 wrote:No need to repeat the cover letter. Just something very simple such as:

Dear Judge [X]:

Attached please find my application for an internship in your chambers for [Spring/Fall/Summer] [Year]. Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
[Name]


Is "To Whom It May Concern" poor form if it's not the judge's direct email but rather a special inbox for his clerkship apps?

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby mjb447 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:18 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:No need to repeat the cover letter. Just something very simple such as:

Dear Judge [X]:

Attached please find my application for an internship in your chambers for [Spring/Fall/Summer] [Year]. Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
[Name]


Is "To Whom It May Concern" poor form if it's not the judge's direct email but rather a special inbox for his clerkship apps?

I think it's unnecessary. (Your cover letter addresses the judge directly even though a clerk or JA may technically look at it first, right?)

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7649
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: What goes in body of email when applying for judicial internship?

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:44 am

mjb447 wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:No need to repeat the cover letter. Just something very simple such as:

Dear Judge [X]:

Attached please find my application for an internship in your chambers for [Spring/Fall/Summer] [Year]. Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
[Name]


Is "To Whom It May Concern" poor form if it's not the judge's direct email but rather a special inbox for his clerkship apps?

I think it's unnecessary. (Your cover letter addresses the judge directly even though a clerk or JA may technically look at it first, right?)


Yep. Address it to the judge. You don't want it to come off as something you copied and pasted 100 times with no change.



Return to “Forum for Law School Students�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Go_Devils1992 and 12 guests