Thinking About Dropping Out - Advice?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bacillusanthracis

New

Re: Thinking About Dropping Out - Advice?

Postby bacillusanthracis » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:53 am

Another person here telling the OP to stay.

Look, law school is stupid. Among other things it encourages poor writing skills and the irony is that the more you know about writing when you enter law school, the more you're going to struggle. This in a field where the written word is worth its weight in gold.

Also, you usually have to learn actual lawyering skills outside of law school, which is asinine, being that you're in "law school." And at the end you have to take an exam that has nothing to do with lawyering.

Almost the entirety of it is fucking retarded.

But it's what a license to practice law can do for you when you're done with the hell of a place where Asberger's-Rainman Syndrome is an enormous asset. Can you talk to people? If so, you're way ahead of the game already.
Do you have a lick of business sense? If so, then you're even farther ahead.

Stick with it. It does end. And if you have just half-assed communications skills, you'll be fine.

TierForceOne

New

Postby TierForceOne » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:58 pm

dabigchina wrote:Also, I'm of the opinion that networking doesnt matter all that much. Don't sweat it if you don't find you connect with a bunch of KJDs or can't make it out to networking events.

I'll jump on this boat.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:45 pm

all law schools assign grades.

I would not drop out in your position.

whats an updog

Bronze

Postby whats an updog » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm an older 3L with a family who did not network/make any actual friends until 2L. I have since served as a mentor for 1Ls and right after Fall semester is a very common time to feel low. It may not feel like the right place for you now, but stick with it. Especially being at the sort of school you're at with the sort of price tag you're going for, there are a lot of upsides to trying to make it work. As many people have said, FRCP/bluebooking are not a overwhelmingly large part of being a law student. After you're done with LRW and civpro, it's really up to you how much you ever deal with them again (at least as a law student).

whysooseriousbiglaw

New

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:04 pm

dabigchina wrote:With a 60% scholarship to a T10 school and no first semester grades, OP would be a fool to drop out.

If everybody who hated 1L dropped out of law school there wouldn't be very many lawyers.

ETA: just saw that OP also has almost free housing on campus. If she goes where I think she goes that by itself is worth 20-30k a year.

That's weird. I loved law school but hate practicing law. I think most biglawyers feel the same way, and I wouldn't be surprised if most private practitioners do as well.

That said, OP doesn't seem to have a ton of options given that OP has kids, so maybe this would be better than restaurant work (although it's questionable since waiters can make more than many attorneys). If OP were single and carefree, I'd say drop out.

whysooseriousbiglaw

New

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:08 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:In your situation, it might be worth staying for the long-term financial security alone. None of your #1-4 reasons sound like good reasons for dropping out.

#1-2 -- there is so much more to law than this. Do you know where my Bluebook is? If so, can you please let me know?
#3 -- this doesn't matter and may be largely in your head.
#4 -- there may be a time in your career when you need to network, but this is not that time. Not a problem.

If you are at a school that offers a great chance at biglaw, there are plenty of realistic paths for you that don't involve spending your life blue booking or reading the FRCP. For example:

-go to biglaw, do corporate, discover that you actually kind of enjoy corporate work and realize that you hated law school because it is so lit-focused (these people exist, I know them), either stay in biglaw long-term or eventually go in house.

-go to biglaw, hate it, cheer yourself up with pro bono work (there truly are a LOT of opportunities to make a difference in biglaw pro bono), tough it out for 2-3 years and go in house.

-go to biglaw, find some niche practice you enjoy (tax, real estate, ERISA, etc.), either stay there forever or eventually land in midlaw or a small firm doing that work at a slower pace for less money.

-in house offers decent pay, reasonable hours, job security, a chance to build long-term relationship with company and co-workers, and at the very least surely beats waitressing.

There are also some less realistic paths that would be good (biglaw, USAO, non-profit??) but my point is that I don't think you have to rely on them to build a good life by staying in law school.

LOL @ the bolded. Nobody lands in house in 2 to 3 years anymore unless you're at like a v5 or whatever....it often takes 5 to7 years of biglaw to land in house, maybe even longer.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:57 pm

whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
dabigchina wrote:With a 60% scholarship to a T10 school and no first semester grades, OP would be a fool to drop out.

If everybody who hated 1L dropped out of law school there wouldn't be very many lawyers.

ETA: just saw that OP also has almost free housing on campus. If she goes where I think she goes that by itself is worth 20-30k a year.

That's weird. I loved law school but hate practicing law. I think most biglawyers feel the same way, and I wouldn't be surprised if most private practitioners do as well.

That said, OP doesn't seem to have a ton of options given that OP has kids, so maybe this would be better than restaurant work (although it's questionable since waiters can make more than many attorneys). If OP were single and carefree, I'd say drop out.

Did you love law school or 1L? if you loved first semester of 1L you are a masochist.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:06 pm

As many people here have said directly or indirectly, it really all comes down to whether you want to be a lawyer or not. Honestly, all of the reasons you gave come across as fake reasons. Not making social events? Surely you didn't go to law school so that you could go to bar review? I've tried bar review a few times and never enjoyed it. That would never in a million years factor for me as a reason to drop out of law school. You don't like blue booking? Yeah okay, so? Find me one of your classmates who loves it. Besides which, even if you do litigation at a big firm (putting corporate work aside altogether), you basically won't have to worry about it -- that will be below your paygrade. You don't like memorizing the FRCP? Again, yeah okay -- who ENJOYS memorizing rules? Also why are you trying to memorize them?

If you want to be a lawyer, stay in school -- you have a phenomenal setup. While connecting with and networking with your fellow law students is obviously a good thing to do generally, it will have zero relation to your first job. As you said, you're at a top school.

If you don't want to be a lawyer, drop out -- it's a sunk cost, and now you know. Just be real with yourself: you and everyone here knows that this all comes down to you questioning whether you like the law. Be up front with yourself, and your decision one way or the other will be clear.

whysooseriousbiglaw

New

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:45 pm

dabigchina wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:

Did you love law school or 1L? if you loved first semester of 1L you are a masochist.

Didn't "love" 1L, but I liked law school in general. 1L year wasn't that bad except for like the last couple of weeks. In general, school is heaven, especially compared to working biglaw. You pretty much have ridiculous amounts of free time in school and much less stress than in biglaw. I'd say my stress in law school was like a 2 or 3 out of 10, whereas stress in biglaw is like a 9 out of 10. Law school is also way more interesting and engaging than practicing in biglaw. This is why i laugh when law students talk about how "stressed" they are in law school - they have no idea what's coming.

Biglaw is pure and utter hell, for many reasons.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:57 am

In retrospect, law school was amazing comparatively. Shitty compared to college, but so is everything. It was unnecessarily stressful at times but looking back, it was a pretty happy time and many of the problems I faced were personal in nature.

whysooseriousbiglaw

New

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:56 pm

jbagelboy wrote:In retrospect, law school was amazing comparatively. Shitty compared to college, but so is everything. It was unnecessarily stressful at times but looking back, it was a pretty happy time and many of the problems I faced were personal in nature.

Law school was a dream.

My friend just had a baby and says that he gets way more sleep on paternity leave taking care of a baby than he does while working in biglaw....LOL.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�