Burnt out, NEED ADVICE

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ariannagriffinrin

New

Re: Burnt out, NEED ADVICE

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:32 pm

grades?? wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
grades?? wrote:OP how much is school costing you?

Too much. OP I don't want to sound harsh, but did you look into employment statistics before attending? If you're already 1 semester in it probably seems like a sunk cost and that you're invested, but it is never too late to get out. I encourage you to study law if it is your passion, but please think about your financial future and the employment prospects you face from this school.

Love, love the name!!! I have, but Cooley was the best option for me. I can attend during the weekends and I got a 25% scholarship and then my job pays 25% totaling 50%. Granted my job would probably cover 25% anywhere, but scheduling wise, weekends work best for me. Thank you :)

Tuition is $47,890. Lets say half of that is $23,000 per year. You realize you will pay $70,000 minimum plus all the extra stress and stuff for a degree that IF it helps you get a legal job, then it will be in the range of 40k? I understand you have your company is helping, but have they guaranteed you a job with a law degree? Can you even articulate what a contract attorney does? Unless you are getting paid 10k a year right now, you aren't going to make more money being a contract attorney.

Honestly for your future you need to drop out. I don't give out this advice lightly. Best of luck but that is what needs to happen. It sounds like you are doing very poorly now with everything and honestly it does not sound like law is for you at this point with everything else you are doing. Please drop out.

You are so funny, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic or mean way. That seems to be general consensus among the group;Drop-out! I know how much the attorneys for the company I work for make, and let me tell you... It's way more than what I currently make. I don't make 10K a year, just a little higher. But, sincerely I appreciate you. I got the sense that you are an honest person and genuine in what you say. Your advice is much appreciated.

I guess if a nice portion of the legal community is saying that this schools not a good idea, then maybe I can take a second look and talk to my company. I don't want my nieces to see their aunt giving-up. So I will look at alternate solutions.

Best :)

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:34 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
grades?? wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
grades?? wrote:OP how much is school costing you?

Too much. OP I don't want to sound harsh, but did you look into employment statistics before attending? If you're already 1 semester in it probably seems like a sunk cost and that you're invested, but it is never too late to get out. I encourage you to study law if it is your passion, but please think about your financial future and the employment prospects you face from this school.

Love, love the name!!! I have, but Cooley was the best option for me. I can attend during the weekends and I got a 25% scholarship and then my job pays 25% totaling 50%. Granted my job would probably cover 25% anywhere, but scheduling wise, weekends work best for me. Thank you :)

Tuition is $47,890. Lets say half of that is $23,000 per year. You realize you will pay $70,000 minimum plus all the extra stress and stuff for a degree that IF it helps you get a legal job, then it will be in the range of 40k? I understand you have your company is helping, but have they guaranteed you a job with a law degree? Can you even articulate what a contract attorney does? Unless you are getting paid 10k a year right now, you aren't going to make more money being a contract attorney.

Honestly for your future you need to drop out. I don't give out this advice lightly. Best of luck but that is what needs to happen. It sounds like you are doing very poorly now with everything and honestly it does not sound like law is for you at this point with everything else you are doing. Please drop out.

You are so funny, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic or mean way. That seems to be general consensus among the group;Drop-out! I know how much the attorneys for the company I work for make, and let me tell you... It's way more than what I currently make. I don't make 10K a year, just a little higher. But, sincerely I appreciate you. I got the sense that you are an honest person and genuine in what you say. Your advice is much appreciated.

I guess if a nice portion of the legal community is saying that this schools not a good idea, then maybe I can take a second look and talk to my company. I don't want my nieces to see their aunt giving-up. So I will look at alternate solutions.

Best :)

Im not saying give up your dream, but this situation does not seem to be one that is worth it and it is not working obviously with you posting this thread. I would get in writing from your company exactly what they will pay you when you graduate and guaranteeing you a job. If something happened like Trump getting elected, the economy tanks, and they can't hire you as a contract attorney, think about the spot you will be in. You gotta consider what might happen.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:35 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Attorney Mav wrote:How rude. I am tired of reading pessimistic comments from people in this forum. Not everyone gets in to a top 50 school or whatever. and not everyone is looking to work big law. Some just love the law and want to pursue a gratifying career in law. Last time I checked Cooley had a 66 percent employment rate not 0 percent. So clearly it is not a waste! You should be ashamed of yourself advising someone to drop out. Anyways Arianna, just keep pushing and do everything in your power to make it easier on yourself in the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't associate complete burnout with someone who loves the law (granted, the OP's burnout is more associated with trying to do too much in addition to law school, but that doesn't change the fact that they go to a shitty school). And I wouldn't associate Cooley with a gratifying career in the law.

But most importantly, you're either being willfully ignorant or flat-out lying about Cooley's employment numbers. Less than a third of their graduates end up employed as lawyers within 9 months of leaving school. Even if you were stupid/generous enough to include JD Advantage jobs, less than half of graduates are in those positions.

If you "love the law" and want a "gratifying career in the law", then you owe it to yourself to go somewhere that isn't a scam. And while not everyone can get into a T50 school, not everyone should be going to law school, period. If you can only get in to schools like Cooley, you likely belong in the latter group.

Howdy! I got accepted to a few schools by me, but scheduling wise they didn't fit. I was thinking about transferring, but part-time nights starts at 6 and in construction you could be working way past that. Additionally, I'm raising my two nieces, so weekends allowed me the later evenings to tuck them in on the nights I'm blessed enough to get off of work before their bedtimes.

How would you ever even consider transferring to a part-time program when you have to drive 5 hours to get to the school? That doesn't even make sense, I'm back to thinking this is probably all an elaborate joke.

It takes 5 hours to get to Cooley. A school in Illinois would take me 30 minutes to get too, depending on the school. There's Loyola, JMLS, NIU, DePaul. They have part time programs, but they start at 6 PM and I don't always get off by the time classes start. Does that clarify?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:39 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Attorney Mav wrote:How rude. I am tired of reading pessimistic comments from people in this forum. Not everyone gets in to a top 50 school or whatever. and not everyone is looking to work big law. Some just love the law and want to pursue a gratifying career in law. Last time I checked Cooley had a 66 percent employment rate not 0 percent. So clearly it is not a waste! You should be ashamed of yourself advising someone to drop out. Anyways Arianna, just keep pushing and do everything in your power to make it easier on yourself in the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't associate complete burnout with someone who loves the law (granted, the OP's burnout is more associated with trying to do too much in addition to law school, but that doesn't change the fact that they go to a shitty school). And I wouldn't associate Cooley with a gratifying career in the law.

But most importantly, you're either being willfully ignorant or flat-out lying about Cooley's employment numbers. Less than a third of their graduates end up employed as lawyers within 9 months of leaving school. Even if you were stupid/generous enough to include JD Advantage jobs, less than half of graduates are in those positions.

If you "love the law" and want a "gratifying career in the law", then you owe it to yourself to go somewhere that isn't a scam. And while not everyone can get into a T50 school, not everyone should be going to law school, period. If you can only get in to schools like Cooley, you likely belong in the latter group.

Howdy! I got accepted to a few schools by me, but scheduling wise they didn't fit. I was thinking about transferring, but part-time nights starts at 6 and in construction you could be working way past that. Additionally, I'm raising my two nieces, so weekends allowed me the later evenings to tuck them in on the nights I'm blessed enough to get off of work before their bedtimes.

How would you ever even consider transferring to a part-time program when you have to drive 5 hours to get to the school? That doesn't even make sense, I'm back to thinking this is probably all an elaborate joke.

It takes 5 hours to get to Cooley. A school in Illinois would take me 30 minutes to get too, depending on the school. There's Loyola, JMLS, NIU, DePaul. They have part time programs, but they start at 6 PM and I don't always get off by the time classes start. Does that clarify?

Go to loyola. Problem solved.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:40 pm

grades?? wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Go to loyola. Problem solved.

I looked into their weekend program, but as of now they aren't accepting students with previous credit. Maybe the real thing I need to do is a find a more flexible job. Where I would get off at 4/5 and get to school by 6. :)

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:42 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

It does -- but to me, I might have had the conversation with my employer and with the school to see if I could make a 30 minute commute to a reputable institution work instead of going for a 5 hour commute with burnout. It sounds like sometimes you could get off in time and sometimes you couldn't. If you're able to make it to the vast majority of your classes, it may have been better than having to drive 5 hours to someplace that is a little...uncertain.

I had to work my first two years of school and it limited my options, but a 5 hour drive would have always been a no. Not even if I was going to the champagne of law schools.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:50 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

It does -- but to me, I might have had the conversation with my employer and with the school to see if I could make a 30 minute commute to a reputable institution work instead of going for a 5 hour commute with burnout. It sounds like sometimes you could get off in time and sometimes you couldn't. If you're able to make it to the vast majority of your classes, it may have been better than having to drive 5 hours to someplace that is a little...uncertain.

I had to work my first two years of school and it limited my options, but a 5 hour drive would have always been a no. Not even if I was going to the champagne of law schools.

How did you manage it? And can I say that I just laughed out loud at the "Champagne of Law Schools" thing :)

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:55 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

How did you manage it? And can I say that I just laughed out loud at the "Champagne of Law Schools" thing :)

I worked as hard as I could to make it on time, and most of my professors were cool because they knew that I was working. I also had my reading done and was prepared for class, so I don't think they were worried that my coming in late was effecting my ability to understand the material.

I've found that most professors just want to teach class and make that sweet professor money -- they really don't have any interest in jamming people up.

With law school applications at an all time low you may find schools willing to turn a bit of a blind eye (not a total blind eye because of ABA compliance)

ariannagriffinrin

New

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:06 pm

[

Bless you for handling it like a champ and so successfully. Did you find there was a MAJOR difference between being a working student and then going to full-time. Did you find it hard to manage the course work, while taking more courses? Or was it more than you had the time and so it made it easier for you versus another student? And last question promise. Did you have a schedule that you followed while you were working. For homework? and studying?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:10 pm

OP, I do just want to commend you so being so polite and responsive to everyone, and I wish you the best of luck working out something for you and your nieces. Your schedule does sound pretty crazy right now so I hope you get some relief.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:OP, I do just want to commend you so being so polite and responsive to everyone, and I wish you the best of luck working out something for you and your nieces. Your schedule does sound pretty crazy right now so I hope you get some relief.

First, I have to say your name is AMAZING!!!!! Second, your avatar rocks! Lastly, thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate them. I hope that it all works out, prayerfully it will. I also hope the same for you. Thank you again for being so kind :)

ariannagriffinrin

New

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:42 pm

dabigchina wrote:so what's the endgame here OP. Is having a JD going to get you promoted or what?

I am sorry that I missed your comment. Cute avatar! My job will, based on how long I've been there when I'm finished. :)

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:56 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:[

Bless you for handling it like a champ and so successfully. Did you find there was a MAJOR difference between being a working student and then going to full-time. Did you find it hard to manage the course work, while taking more courses? Or was it more than you had the time and so it made it easier for you versus another student? And last question promise. Did you have a schedule that you followed while you were working. For homework? and studying?

Truth is that I got better grades when I was working full time. But thats just me.

I have a pretty low-key personal life -- so I didn't have to really schedule studying, and my study schedule was so ridiculous that it wouldn't help anyone.

I could never have kept up with your schedule, and sadly I don't see how you can either. If the admissions counselors at your school had a conscience they would have talked you out of this. ESPECIALLY if its 5 hours each way. That is 10 hours of driving a week. Then class. And homework/reading during the week. In addition to a full time job and raising kids.

Do you really think that you can maintain this for like 4 years? I mean, lets put aside the reputation of the school....do you really think you can do this for 4 years? I guess its a question that only you can answer...and if that answer is even close to a no, I think its best that you talk to some other schools and see if you can work something out or look for another job that will let you leave at 5pm most of the time.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Postby ariannagriffinrin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:49 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

Truth is that I got better grades when I was working full time. But thats just me.

I have a pretty low-key personal life -- so I didn't have to really schedule studying, and my study schedule was so ridiculous that it wouldn't help anyone.

I could never have kept up with your schedule, and sadly I don't see how you can either. If the admissions counselors at your school had a conscience they would have talked you out of this. ESPECIALLY if its 5 hours each way. That is 10 hours of driving a week. Then class. And homework/reading during the week. In addition to a full time job and raising kids.

Do you really think that you can maintain this for like 4 years? I mean, lets put aside the reputation of the school....do you really think you can do this for 4 years? I guess its a question that only you can answer...and if that answer is even close to a no, I think its best that you talk to some other schools and see if you can work something out or look for another job that will let you leave at 5pm most of the time.

That is awesome that your grades were better while working. I sincerely feel that working helps balance, because every minute has a job. I fully, understand the ridiculous study schedule. I do homework and read cases at wee hours in the morning, late evenings, during lunch, and I listen to my outline being read by me on the way to and from work and school.

I appreciate your feedback, as it's causing me think a lot about the reality of keeping this schedule up.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

That is awesome that your grades were better while working. I sincerely feel that working helps balance, because every minute has a job. I fully, understand the ridiculous study schedule. I do homework and read cases at wee hours in the morning, late evenings, during lunch, and I listen to my outline being read by me on the way to and from work and school.

I appreciate your feedback, as it's causing me think a lot about the reality of keeping this schedule up.

If its getting you to think this plan through long term then I'm glad. As someone else said, your first year is a sunk cost, but I wouldn't want to see anyone throw good money after bad. And I think that would be the case if you tried to keep this up and you ended up burning out. It would end up being a waste of your time, money and sanity. I just don't see how you can keep this up for the next three years. A 10 hour drive + classes + homework + work + kids....its too much.

I think you'll end up with more time with your nieces and less stress if you are able to either transfer or start over (I've never heard of a school simply refusing to take credits from another ABA approved institution -- so perhaps the answer would change if you actually spoke to an admissions counselor instead of whoever picks up the phone)

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:07 am

What do you do that keeps you there late? I work with a lot of construction folks and they aren't at work at 6:00.

crumb cake

Bronze

Postby crumb cake » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:04 am

Last edited by crumb cake on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmbriaMyles

New

Postby AmbriaMyles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Hey! I happened into this board by chance. I wanted to know if anyone has advice on cramming for a closed book property final exam! PLEASE HELP!!!! My school is on quarter systems. My exam is in 3 weeks. Can anyone offer and advice PLEASE!!!!!

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:05 am

AmbriaMyles wrote:Hey! I happened into this board by chance. I wanted to know if anyone has advice on cramming for a closed book property final exam! PLEASE HELP!!!! My school is on quarter systems. My exam is in 3 weeks. Can anyone offer and advice PLEASE!!!!!

Not the right thread, but what the hell - here's how I aced my one 1L closed book final (K's though, not property):

-Get all your notes together - print them out if you used a computer
-Start going through your notes and re-write them (by hand!) by topic - crystallize and condense along the way.
-Anything you come across that you're unsure about - figure it out. Either use a treatise, talk to the prof, classmates, etc.
-Repeat the above outlining process, by hand, as needed to get concepts firmly in your head

Seriously - writing this shit out by hand makes all the difference for retention in a closed book final - or at least it did for me.

sweets91

Silver

Postby sweets91 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:45 am

Joscellin wrote:
AmbriaMyles wrote:Hey! I happened into this board by chance. I wanted to know if anyone has advice on cramming for a closed book property final exam! PLEASE HELP!!!! My school is on quarter systems. My exam is in 3 weeks. Can anyone offer and advice PLEASE!!!!!

Not the right thread, but what the hell - here's how I aced my one 1L closed book final (K's though, not property):

-Get all your notes together - print them out if you used a computer
-Start going through your notes and re-write them (by hand!) by topic - crystallize and condense along the way.
-Anything you come across that you're unsure about - figure it out. Either use a treatise, talk to the prof, classmates, etc.
-Repeat the above outlining process, by hand, as needed to get concepts firmly in your head

Seriously - writing this shit out by hand makes all the difference for retention in a closed book final - or at least it did for me.

Figure out what works for you - a lot of people write things out like the poster above me, but some people learn better by reciting things out loud, listening to recordings of themselves (auditory learners), etc.

But also yeah, not the right thread. You also posted this in multiple places - don't do that

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:05 am

Three weeks feels like plenty of time. Have you kept up with the reading?

As the poster above said, I think writing it all out is a great idea...I did the same thing and it really helped me. In part because as I retyped things I had to think through them and so it helped me put concepts together.

Frankly, you might be in a better position than most because on the quarter system you may literally learn less material (I would think) than you would on the semester system....and a lot of it should still be relatively fresh to you.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�