Do you also find law students untrustworthy?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Poets

New

Do you also find law students untrustworthy?

Postby Poets » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Before generalizing my experience about future lawyers, I'd like to hear your experiences.

I am a 3L and most of law students at my school I get closer to turns out to be 1) manipulative to gain her or his own interests without giving back 2) 2) always trying to take advantage of good intentions (outline, good food, or whatever) like a parasite or 3) a pathological liar.

Granted I haven't developed friendship with many kids but it is partly because most of them turn out to be like that a few months later. I may be a sucker. I also noticed that kids with good grades hardly show this tendency (competitive but not this way), but kids with a OK grade (30~50%) exclusively shows this tendency AT MY SCHOOL. I want to emphasize "at my school," as it is wrong to generalize for other schools, too. I think kids whose grades are lower than that don't care about grades.

My analysis is that these kids naturally have strong jealousy/competitiveness/etc but their intelligence/work ethics are not sufficient to get good grades so they behave this way.

I also notice that A LOT of law students cheat on their gf/bf in a serious relationship, alarmingly a lot. This is related to 3) a pathological liar.

What do you think?

nunumaster

Silver

Re: Do you also find law students untrustworthy?

Postby nunumaster » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:06 pm

You're on to something here

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:24 pm

It seems like projection is at work here. You see what your mind wants to see.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:56 pm

1L year I sort of slightly led a girl on first semester because I saw she had pre-existing outlines and I didn't really know or want to talk to anyone else and get some, right at the end while wrapping up a group project I showed her a picture of my fiance. It kind of worked out, so yeah, I'd assume untrustworthy until proven otherwise.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:33 pm

lawman84 wrote:A quote from Raylan Givens sums it up well: “If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:1L year I sort of slightly led a girl on first semester because I saw she had pre-existing outlines and I didn't really know or want to talk to anyone else and get some, right at the end while wrapping up a group project I showed her a picture of my fiance. It kind of worked out, so yeah, I'd assume untrustworthy until proven otherwise.

Everything about this is sad

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:50 pm

Poets wrote:Before generalizing my experience about future lawyers, I'd like to hear your experiences.

I am a 3L and most of law students at my school I get closer to turns out to be 1) manipulative to gain her or his own interests without giving back

LOL. Please describe all of the "giving back" you've done as a law student.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:11 am

Poets wrote:Before generalizing my experience about future lawyers, I'd like to hear your experiences.

I am a 3L and most of law students at my school I get closer to turns out to be 1) manipulative to gain her or his own interests without giving back 2) 2) always trying to take advantage of good intentions (outline, good food, or whatever) like a parasite or 3) a pathological liar.

Granted I haven't developed friendship with many kids but it is partly because most of them turn out to be like that a few months later. I may be a sucker. I also noticed that kids with good grades hardly show this tendency (competitive but not this way), but kids with a OK grade (30~50%) exclusively shows this tendency AT MY SCHOOL. I want to emphasize "at my school," as it is wrong to generalize for other schools, too. I think kids whose grades are lower than that don't care about grades.

My analysis is that these kids naturally have strong jealousy/competitiveness/etc but their intelligence/work ethics are not sufficient to get good grades so they behave this way.

I also notice that A LOT of law students cheat on their gf/bf in a serious relationship, alarmingly a lot. This is related to 3) a pathological liar.

What do you think?

What differentiates you from the "they" here?
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nunumaster

Silver

Postby nunumaster » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:34 am

Poets wrote:
I also notice that A LOT of law students cheat on their gf/bf in a serious relationship, alarmingly a lot.

What do you think?

Can't let girls with boyfriends deter you. They'll probably break up during law school anyway. HTH

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:56 am

rpupkin wrote:

I am a 3L and most of law students at my school I get closer to turns out to be 1) manipulative to gain her or his own interests without giving back

LOL. Please describe all of the "giving back" you've done as a law student.

Poets once shared an outline without any degree of quid pro quo. Law school hero and genuinely good guy/gal.

hangold

New

Postby hangold » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:42 am

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?