Why am I the worst law schooler when I was supposed to be the best?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
unlicensedpotato

Silver

Re: Why am I the worst law schooler when I was supposed to be the best?

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Same here. It's a pretty laid back environment. People have concerns about jobs because the hiring tends to happen later on in 3L year or after graduation since most people aren't doing biglaw. However, it isn't something that people project onto others or something that motivates them to try and sabotage others.

Yeah I don't mean necessarily in terms of sabotage, just that other people were very stressed, and generally about stuff that was irrelevant. Y'all are probably right that it just depends on how many people want big law or the equivalent vs. how many can expect to get it. Everyone was always friendly and helpful -- I meant toxic in the sense that they wanted to run circles around stuff and expend a lot of energy on things that wouldn't matter, with the result that it made me more stressed and less focused on the material that did matter.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:52 pm

You all are ignoring that group study interaction is a driving force for OP's stresss. That can be remedied pretty easily - stop studying in groups.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:52 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Same here. It's a pretty laid back environment. People have concerns about jobs because the hiring tends to happen later on in 3L year or after graduation since most people aren't doing biglaw. However, it isn't something that people project onto others or something that motivates them to try and sabotage others.

Yeah I don't mean necessarily in terms of sabotage, just that other people were very stressed, and generally about stuff that was irrelevant. Y'all are probably right that it just depends on how many people want big law or the equivalent vs. how many can expect to get it. Everyone was always friendly and helpful -- I meant toxic in the sense that they wanted to run circles around stuff and expend a lot of energy on things that wouldn't matter, with the result that it made me more stressed and less focused on the material that did matter.

Then yes, I agree. Avoid study groups like the plague until it's time to discuss practice exams.

Boltsfan

New

Postby Boltsfan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:13 pm

lawman84 wrote:Then yes, I agree. Avoid study groups like the plague until it's time to discuss practice exams.

This is sound advice. I know there were people that met with study groups throughout the semester, but the only real use I had for them was at the end during the finals prep period to (1) make sure I didn't have a hole in my outline and (2) discuss practice exams.

A bunch of 1Ls studying together before any of them have even taken a practice exam, much less received a grade, is a terrible example of the blind leading the blind.

MavEryck

New

Postby MavEryck » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Well, like many others have said... stop studying in groups of people who don't know anything more than you do.

I gave up on study groups when I was in UG. When I went through law school, I studied on my own. You will probably have several projects in your 2L and 3L years when you have to work in a group or with a partner. But for now, study on your own. (without distractions)

Leaving exams early:

I left the multiple choice exams early when I finished before time was called because I was confident in my answers and knew that I would not change my answers. My multiple choice scores were always either #1 or #2 in the class. However, I've seen enough spelling and grammar issues in model answers (law school essays and Bar essays) that I would never leave an essay exam early! If you truly cannot think of any more analysis to add to your essay then go through and fix the grammar and spelling issues before the proctor calls time.

Keep in mind, the bulk of your points are always going to be in the analysis! Your favorite word should become "because." (i.e. this was not a burglary BECAUSE Defendant did not have the specific intent to commit a felony once inside) (i.e. Here, there was no valid contract BECAUSE there was no acceptance of the offer). Most, if not all, of your classmates will have memorized the black letter law... But, the ones who do exceptionally well are the ones who can apply the black letter law to a new set of facts. In short, the analysis should be as full, complete and thorough as humanly possible.

About your legal writing:

Do whatever your legal writing professor wants from you to get a good grade in that class. I landed my first law firm job because of my writing samples. You will probably use your legal writing assignments for your writing samples because you don't really have anything else to provide an employer this December (assuming you want a job).

On that note, after your assignments have been graded your school probably has writing tutors who will help you fine tune the piece to use as a writing sample. No matter what grade you get, use the tutors!

Prior legal knowledge:

I failed a required class in law school because I got a C in the class. That means I had to repeat that class. Here's the crazy part of it. The class was criminal law. Criminal law was the only area of law that I had experience in when I began law school. I could rattle off the elements of burglary etc., from the top of my head. I literally taught my Crim Law Professor something about criminal law that she was unaware of during one class. So, how did I fail the class? Because I did not follow my professor's instructions for the Final Exam!!!

In the first class the professor told us to memorize the cases and use them on the exam. I remember thinking "I know criminal law, I don't need to memorize these cases."

Let my hardship be a lesson to you... Do everything your professors tell you to do, exactly how they say to do it.

When you begin studying for the Bar Exam, take a Bar Prep course and follow their format for essays exactly...

You'll be fine.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�