Civil procedure sucks WTF?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
unclej

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby unclej » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:23 pm

rule after rule after rule. section a, section a1, section a2, section b, section b2, b3, b4, section c, section d.
everything has a rule, if the lawyer wants to fart in the court room, there is a rule for that.
I dont even understand the rule, let alone memorize it.

how in the hell am I going to pass this class?

User avatar
MKC

Diamond
Posts: 16246
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby MKC » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Read Pennoyer again.

Seriously though, go watch Freer's lectures on Barbri.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby rpupkin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:40 pm

unclej wrote:rule after rule after rule. section a, section a1, section a2, section b, section b2, b3, b4, section c, section d.
everything has a rule,

You're just going to love the practice of law.

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:42 pm

unclej wrote:rule after rule after rule. section a, section a1, section a2, section b, section b2, b3, b4, section c, section d.
everything has a rule, if the lawyer wants to fart in the court room, there is a rule for that.
I dont even understand the rule, let alone memorize it.

how in the hell am I going to pass this class?


It's closed book? That's rough.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:42 pm

OP, your post history shows that you started law school in 2014. how are you still only taking civ pro?

unclej

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby unclej » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:06 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Read Pennoyer again.

Seriously though, go watch Freer's lectures on Barbri.


I don't learn by listening, I learn by reading. I bought examples and explanations but it's a waste of time. Although I like the questions and answers sections to clarify concepts, I feel like a lot of the book is too wordy. He doesn't get to the bottom line, he keeps talking about the history and how this rule developed and how it changed over the years. That stuff is not going to help me pass the exams. Also, the book is really basic, he doesn't get into all the details and nuisances of the rules. I need something that is more geared for exam prep. something that tells me "this is the bottom line, know this to pass your exam" I am thinking of buying maybe Emmanuel?

rpupkin wrote:You're just going to love the practice of law.


:(

ArtistOfManliness wrote:It's closed book? That's rough.


you mean your school was open book? I am not surprised, this is an online school that has an inferiority complex, they think they need to make everything twice as hard so everybody knows they are legit.

pancakes3 wrote:OP, your post history shows that you started law school in 2014. how are you still only taking civ pro?


this is a part time school, one class at a time.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:26 pm

unclej wrote:this is an online school


Wait, what?

How can an online school even enforce a closed-book exam (which is an idiotic practice in a rule-heavy course)?

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:14 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
unclej wrote:this is an online school


Wait, what?

How can an online school even enforce a closed-book exam (which is an idiotic practice in a rule-heavy course)?


Testing centers, I'd hope.

unclej

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby unclej » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:30 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
unclej wrote:this is an online school


Wait, what?

How can an online school even enforce a closed-book exam (which is an idiotic practice in a rule-heavy course)?


Testing centers, I'd hope.


Yes, this is correct.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam

Gold
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:31 pm

You don't like rules? You must be a shitty ass driver.

User avatar
MKC

Diamond
Posts: 16246
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby MKC » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:44 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:You don't like rules? You must be a shitty ass driver.


I learned the rules of the road from GTA5.

Driving's pretty easy until they bring out the helicopters.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13923
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:50 pm

I know I've been an infrequent presence on TLS the past year, but online law schools are a thing now?

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I know I've been an infrequent presence on TLS the past year, but online law schools are a thing now?


Now I understand why the ABA is losing its accreditation powers

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:10 pm

I don't mean to sound snarky but the rules are pretty straight forward. They're even numbered sequentially based on the litigation timeline. On the other hand, I can't imagine law school instruction in an online setting, so I should probably cut the OP a little slack.

All in all, this just sounds like a shitty situation for everyone involved.

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13923
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:30 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I don't mean to sound snarky but the rules are pretty straight forward. They're even numbered sequentially based on the litigation timeline. On the other hand, I can't imagine law school instruction in an online setting, so I should probably cut the OP a little slack.

All in all, this just sounds like a shitty situation for everyone involved.

TBH, I'd bet that an online class would teach the Rules in a lot more straightforward of a manner than the pointlessly opaque socratic fuckery of actual law school.

I learned basically zero in my 1L CivPro class, while my bar review course was much better because it just TAUGHT THE FUCKING RULES.

User avatar
Mr. Archer

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby Mr. Archer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:19 pm

What year will you graduate at this pace? It doesn't even seem worth it.

User avatar
Yea All Right

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby Yea All Right » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:34 am

Even if you're a visual learner (like me), Freer's CivPro lectures for Barbri are seriously great. Try them out.

Or maybe you could find a transcript of his lectures somewhere.

User avatar
Wolfie91

Silver
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby Wolfie91 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:44 am

unclej wrote:rule after rule after rule. section a, section a1, section a2, section b, section b2, b3, b4, section c, section d.
everything has a rule, if the lawyer wants to fart in the court room, there is a rule for that.
I dont even understand the rule, let alone memorize it.

how in the hell am I going to pass this class?


Twombly/Iqbal for pleading, Upjohn for privilege, International Shoe for minimum contacts, Erie for deciding procedure vs. substance.

Idk what I'm missing. I seem to remember a case called Hickman but I forgot what it was. Just read those cases and that's it in a nutshell. Most of the cases kind of just build upon each other.

And I mean, litigation is probably not for you if this is truly how you feel. just fyi. I never found this that difficult, but I never took an online legal course.

User avatar
sweets91

Silver
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 am

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby sweets91 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:18 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Read Pennoyer again.

Seriously though, go watch Freer's lectures on Barbri.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:29 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Read Pennoyer again.

Seriously though, go watch Freer's lectures on Barbri.



Freer is really, really good at Civ Pro.

I had a terrible Civ Pro professor and his lectures really cleared things up.

If you're a reader, see if you can get the Barbri books (CMR breaks it down pretty good IIRC)

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10251
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:25 pm

rpupkin wrote:
unclej wrote:rule after rule after rule. section a, section a1, section a2, section b, section b2, b3, b4, section c, section d.
everything has a rule,

You're just going to love the practice of law.


^

civ pro is probably the most important class in 1L

and be lucky the federal rules are as clear as they are. admin courts are the wild west.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10251
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:I don't mean to sound snarky but the rules are pretty straight forward. They're even numbered sequentially based on the litigation timeline. On the other hand, I can't imagine law school instruction in an online setting, so I should probably cut the OP a little slack.

All in all, this just sounds like a shitty situation for everyone involved.

TBH, I'd bet that an online class would teach the Rules in a lot more straightforward of a manner than the pointlessly opaque socratic fuckery of actual law school.

I learned basically zero in my 1L CivPro class, while my bar review course was much better because it just TAUGHT THE FUCKING RULES.


the barbri books would not have been helpful for getting a good grade in my civ pro class, because being able to argue and analogize/distinguish using the case law on the more complex concepts in the way that the prof emphasized and in the casebook was far more important than whether you fed ex or first class mail your service

User avatar
Wolfie91

Silver
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby Wolfie91 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Ya the Federal Rules is a lot of "ain't shit" compared to classes you'll take later on. I don't really recall any particular rule being unclear.

User avatar
zhenders

Silver
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby zhenders » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I know I've been an infrequent presence on TLS the past year, but online law schools are a thing now?


Now I understand why the ABA is losing its accreditation powers


Online law schools have been a thing for a while -- but there still aren't any 100% online, ABA-accredited law schools. I think it's still capped at a max of 12 hours of online coursework to still qualify for accreditation.

Voyager

Silver
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Civil procedure sucks WTF?

Postby Voyager » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:41 pm

I found Civ Pro painful as well. I think many students do.

But here's the thing: you really have no choice.

As an aside: most graduates find the practice of law pretty dang painful as well...



Return to “Forum for Law School Students�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: emiliefisher and 4 guests