Policy discussion on exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
imjustakid

New

Policy discussion on exam

Postby imjustakid » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Generally speaking, do professors generally test policy on the exam?
I find that I can make a policy argument (for the losing side) by saying that law should be 'this way because of ...,' for every issue, with the policy argument still being very relevant to the facts, each side and theories discussed in class.
This creates an additional paragraph to every issue I talk about.
Is this too much? Will profs think it's irrelevant?
When do you REALLY know whether policy is needed or not?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Policy discussion on exam

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Usually, at most, I'd toss in a policy sentence or two. That's it.

texas1100

New

Postby texas1100 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 am

Slap on "However, as a policy matter, the X may reason that Y because Z. Nevertheless, the X would likely still rule in favor of the Plaintiff" Then move on. It'll get you the points you need

Only do it at the end of a big ques or something

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:19 am

I would pay attention if the professor is a big policy craze. I had one like that for civ pro, and a third of the final actually tested policy. However, that was clearly specified that it was a policy question. If the exam isn't asking for that, I would keep it to 1-2 sentences as others suggested.

tfer2222

Bronze

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:37 am

zot1 wrote:I would pay attention if the professor is a big policy craze. I had one like that for civ pro, and a third of the final actually tested policy. However, that was clearly specified that it was a policy question. If the exam isn't asking for that, I would keep it to 1-2 sentences as others suggested.

Yeah I agree with this. Generally speaking, touch on it quickly if you have time and then move on - don't dwell.

Also, answers to questions like this are almost always extremely professor-specific. Get your hands on old exams for your specific professor's classes if you can. Also pay attention to what your professor seems to stress in class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�