Student organizations in 1L year

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
candidlatke

Bronze

Student organizations in 1L year

Postby candidlatke » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi, I was wondering if it was necessary/would count against you during OCI if you did not join a public service group during your 1L year?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Student organizations in 1L year

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:53 pm

What do you mean, a public service group? Like volunteering? Or like a student group focused on public service careers?

Either way, no. If you're a k-jd and your resume is completely bare, joining some groups might help, but I wouldn't say it's necessary.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Nope. But also, how hard would it be to join one or two?

bluthmodelhome

New

Postby bluthmodelhome » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm going to say no. During OCI, the only things interviewers really cared or asked about on my resume were my 1L summer jobs, my undergrad work experience, and my interests. They did not ask me why I did not join the mock trial team or the women's law society. If your school has 1L positions on secondary journals, join one that relates to your legal interests if you want, those are usually a minimal time commitment in my experience (like 10 hours/semester) and can help you demonstrate your interest come OCI. But during 1L you should really focus all of your attention on getting stellar grades and getting a job for 1L summer.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�