Help - I foresee getting median pwnd

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
perfunctory

Bronze

Help - I foresee getting median pwnd

Postby perfunctory » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:57 pm

TT 1L here. I foresee getting median pwnd. I'm doing the readings and keeping up, but this is what everyone else is doing. In class, it seems like a lot of people are spotting the issues I spotted. I know it's all about the final (spotting all the issues and writing in depth) but everyone else is going to the prof with hypos and working hard. What can I do to make sure I land in the top 10%?

MKC

Diamond

Re: Help - I foresee getting median pwnd

Postby MKC » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:07 pm

perfunctory wrote:TT 1L here. I foresee getting median pwnd. I'm doing the readings and keeping up, but this is what everyone else is doing. In class, it seems like a lot of people are spotting the issues I spotted. I know it's all about the final (spotting all the issues and writing in depth) but everyone else is going to the prof with hypos and working hard. What can I do to make sure I land in the top 10%?

Hire TheSeaLocust™.

The choice of a law school adviser is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements or endorsements by anonymous message board poasters.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweets91

Silver

Postby sweets91 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

perfunctory wrote:TT 1L here. I foresee getting median pwnd. I'm doing the readings and keeping up, but this is what everyone else is doing. In class, it seems like a lot of people are spotting the issues I spotted. I know it's all about the final (spotting all the issues and writing in depth) but everyone else is going to the prof with hypos and working hard. What can I do to make sure I land in the top 10%?

you should also go to the prof with hypos and work hard?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Don't necessarily take it as a bad sign. I was in your boat first quarter. Felt like I was median-ish at Never went to profs for anything, and felt like everything else was over my head. Ended up pwning them all.

ronanOgara

Gold

Postby ronanOgara » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Wait for all of those losers to burn out and capitalize in the last 3 weeks of the semester.

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:11 pm

nothing can make this a sure thing. This is what happens when you go to a TT. Now you realize that you need to be in the top 10%, if your goal is biglaw. Only useful advice I have for September is to chill out. Keep your head down and go to the professor as much as you feel is helpful.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:36 am

Focus on your writing. In classes where everyone understands the material, the A's go to the best writers because you'll all spot the issues.

Boltsfan

New

Postby Boltsfan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:27 pm

BasilHallward wrote:

nothing can make this a sure thing. This is what happens when you go to a TT. Now you realize that you need to be in the top 10%, if your goal is biglaw. Only useful advice I have for September is to chill out. Keep your head down and go to the professor as much as you feel is helpful.

This is sound advice. Also keep in mind that late October is usually when the library starts to feel sparse; you need to keep doing all the reading/briefing/whatever works for you the entire semester. You will gain on people that burn out.

At this point you should be feeling comfortable reading cases and identifying the key facts/rules in each case. Hopefully you've at least thought about how you are going to organize your outlines (but be prepared to re-do them at some point as you still have no idea what the hell you are doing). Around Thanksgiving you should start taking practice tests so you start to get a feel for what a law school exam is like. Practice exams are by far the most useful way to spend your time at the end of the semester.

Hopefully you're a fast typist.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Are you up to date on all the E&E's including the example questions and reading the explanations in all your classes?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�