(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rcharter1978

Gold

Re: HELP I hate law school (and I think the profession)

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:28 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
MavEryck wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
I mean, point taken, but just because law isn't THE WORST shit ever, doesn't mean it's not stressful.

Subjectively, for most young Americans, law school and the work afterwards is pretty difficult.

Maybe I'm out of touch with what most young Americans consider difficult...

I went to law school in my 40's and after a lot of experiences in the world. I guess if I hadn't gone through the things I've been through then law school might have been one of the most difficult things I had experienced... But, on second thought... No, I went through Hell prior to enlisting in the Military also (hence enlisting at the tender young age of 17 to escape the Hell that was my childhood).

So, I guess if I hadn't gone through Hell as a kid, which made dodging bullets seem like a better idea than what I was going through...then, had not been through the Military which is it's own special kind of Hell... and if I had not lost body parts and my eyesight...

Yes, I would agree law school would seem pretty difficult! :wink:

The army isn't that difficult, it's not like basic training is graded on a curve. War can be shitty, but also exhilarating and meaningful in a way the law ever can be. You said you were humping and M60 in the desert so that's like, what, Persian Gulf?

And there are lots of occupations where people lose their limbs, They are all difficult, but competing in law school is hard as hell, there is only a few rrhings that compare to it in the military.

Have you ever been in the army/combat? Because this is starting to sound a little like you're talking out of your ass. However if you have first hand experience, I stand corrected.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:50 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
MavEryck wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
I mean, point taken, but just because law isn't THE WORST shit ever, doesn't mean it's not stressful.

Subjectively, for most young Americans, law school and the work afterwards is pretty difficult.

Maybe I'm out of touch with what most young Americans consider difficult...

I went to law school in my 40's and after a lot of experiences in the world. I guess if I hadn't gone through the things I've been through then law school might have been one of the most difficult things I had experienced... But, on second thought... No, I went through Hell prior to enlisting in the Military also (hence enlisting at the tender young age of 17 to escape the Hell that was my childhood).

So, I guess if I hadn't gone through Hell as a kid, which made dodging bullets seem like a better idea than what I was going through...then, had not been through the Military which is it's own special kind of Hell... and if I had not lost body parts and my eyesight...

Yes, I would agree law school would seem pretty difficult! :wink:

The army isn't that difficult, it's not like basic training is graded on a curve. War can be shitty, but also exhilarating and meaningful in a way the law ever can be. You said you were humping and M60 in the desert so that's like, what, Persian Gulf?

And there are lots of occupations where people lose their limbs, They are all difficult, but competing in law school is hard as hell, there is only a few rrhings that compare to it in the military.

Have you ever been in the army/combat? Because this is starting to sound a little like you're talking out of your ass. However if you have first hand experience, I stand corrected.

I do, but it shouldn't matter, we are all citizens exercising our best judgement. Dude says he lost his hand in an accident and that showed how hard military life was compared to law. Commercial fishing and logging has similar accident rates, the military (outside of war) isn't unique in this regard (and the health care benefits are way better)

I guess my underlying point here is that his commentary comparing the dangers of combat and rigor of military life with law is rather unhelpful. Military life itself is rather easy most of the time, as in it's basically noncompetitive and highly structured.

Instead of being dismissive of all these whiny young kids struggling with LS or being Associates or whatever, the dude quoted above could use his unique, valid perspective in a positive, digestible way that helps the youngins appreciate their advantages and have a healthier outlook on their situations. Instead, it just comes across as an old man's rant about how young folk are weak-sauce.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Comparing the rigors is war to commercial fishing seems dubious at best in any context. But as you've been in combat I'll have to take your word for it.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:12 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:Comparing the rigors is war to commercial fishing seems dubious at best in any context. But as you've been in combat I'll have to take your word for it.

I was comparing fishing to the rigors of military life outside war, in generaI. I think the guy who lost his hand stated he lost it in an accident, not due to enemy action.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Comparing the rigors is war to commercial fishing seems dubious at best in any context. But as you've been in combat I'll have to take your word for it.

I was comparing fishing to the rigors of military life outside war, in generaI. I think the guy who lost his hand stated he lost it in an accident, not due to enemy action.

His post seemed to be about the sum total of how much he had been through...including combat injuries.

You have a point, and yes his post does have a whiff of "old man lecture" but I'm always hesitant to call people out who have been injured defending the country.

Even though I imagine that it gets awful old to hear the "you think you have it tough?!??" speech every time you just want to vent about the shitty day you had.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:35 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

His post seemed to be about the sum total of how much he had been through...including combat injuries.

You have a point, and yes his post does have a whiff of "old man lecture" but I'm always hesitant to call people out who have been injured defending the country.

That hesitancy is a cultural phenomenon that expresses the general deference people show to veterans.

The way I see it, we were compensated very well for our service, and should continue to try and positively impact society through open, inclusive dialogue. The above posters comments arn't helpful, which is a shame as I'm sure he has extremely valuable insight.

MavEryck

New

Postby MavEryck » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:49 pm

I can't seem to quote correctly...from above.

Yes... 2/75 Ranger Battalion. You stand corrected.

I didn't know I had to mention anything more specific. But, nothing in law school compares to getting into the Ranger Battalion. Nothing. Period.

MavEryck

New

Postby MavEryck » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:54 pm

and yes...LOL

My post probably does sound like an "old man lecture."

That's probably because of my age! It comes with the territory... Grandpas have earned the right to dole out an "old man lecture" now and again :lol:

I definitely wasn't saying that young people are "weak sauce" (and yes, I know what that means)

I just wanted to throw some perspective on the situation...

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:44 pm

MavEryck wrote:and yes...LOL

My post probably does sound like an "old man lecture."

That's probably because of my age! It comes with the territory... Grandpas have earned the right to dole out an "old man lecture" now and again :lol:

I definitely wasn't saying that young people are "weak sauce" (and yes, I know what that means)

I just wanted to throw some perspective on the situation...

So, how would you take a lesson or anecdote from RIP or Ranger School and make it something a young, self-conscious kid can learn from? What got you past all the bullshit and kept you focused on earning your scroll?

JustBrian

New

Postby JustBrian » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:37 am

If you are about to finish up your degree, go into teaching is not a bad choice. A friend of mine stopped practicing law right after he had graduated from his university. With a degree in Crominal Law and B.A he went to China in the belief of finding himself. All of a sudden he was proposed to work as an English teacher in one of a school out there. He is paid around 3000 dollars per month ... and abile to afford almost everything around ... For the record, he is not supposed to speak Chinese while he is teaching. Otherwise, you can ask your friends to be assistred or looking around the internet for a help if you are struggling with your degree in law ... It is up to your choice to keep on or change the way you were thinking about your future.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�