Top law students vs. top med students

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
buckiguy_sucks

Gold
Posts: 2877
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:22 pm

there's no top-med-schools dot com slash forums checkmate med students look like law students come out on top once again

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10245
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:52 pm

this just reminds me of paris geller from gilmore girls, applying to all the top med and law schools, then agonizing over the choice between HLS/CLS/YLS and a bunch of ivy medical schools because all she cared about was signaling value and lacked any real substance in her personality.

blueapple

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby blueapple » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:10 pm

follagordas wrote:Blue, Why did you ignore all the compliments, concessions, and expressions of gratitude I made towards you in my last post? How about my statement that I'll take into account everything you said? Why did you only take into account the text you bolded? Also, you never actually seemed to address the content of the bolded text. Im trying to point out that I don't think I'm nearly as dismissive as you are characterizing me, especially since, like I said, I don't recall ever calling someone wrong when they engaged the topic? I also agreed with several individuals' posts without a single caveat, including HonestAdvice, Hiko, and the guy with the Johnny Bravo avatar (don't remember the username, I'm sorry).


I'm terribly sorry. Thank you for your compliments, concessions, and expressions of gratitude.

Anyway, to address your concern, I'm not really in the mood to go dig back through this thread, but I'm pretty sure there were a few times where Nony (maybe it was someone else, I can't recall) was responding to you and you said something along the lines of "that's interesting, I disagree, it makes much more sense to assume what I am assuming, why don't you come back when you have a more legitimate opinion?" Either way, you seem to be focusing on whether or not you literally told someone they were wrong, when I'm trying to prod you to focus on how you dismiss others opinions as being unworthy or irrelevant just because you disagree with them.

Truly though, I do appreciate that you acknowledged the importance of self-reflection and that you will take all of this to heart. I'm not trying to bring you down, just help you improve your interactions with others.

And I agree with everything pancakes said.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby Nebby » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:this just reminds me of paris geller from gilmore girls, applying to all the top med and law schools, then agonizing over the choice between HLS/CLS/YLS and a bunch of ivy medical schools because all she cared about was signaling value and lacked any real substance in her personality.

Yup

follagordas

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby follagordas » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:38 pm

At its core, the question posed was "how do top med students compare with top law students on a variety of measures?"

Most of the general population would agree that's a valid and/or interesting question.

Many TLS posters, however, distracted by or envious of OP being from HYS, viscerally reject question and fall into cycle of insults, vanity, and group think, any thing to avoid objective examination of the inquiry presented

Fortunately, there have been a few recently to step forward and acknowledge the validity of the question, notwithstanding their feelings towards OP. Their rational responses and analysis will hopefully shine through to the objective observer brave enough to sift through the entirety of this thread, which admittedly has gotten out of hand.
Last edited by follagordas on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby Nebby » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:40 pm

follagordas wrote:At its core, the question posed was "how do top med students compare with top law students?"

Most of the general population would agree that's a valid and/or interesting question.

Many TLS posters, however, distracted by or envious of OP being from HYS, viscerally reject question and fall into cycle of insults, vanity, and group think, any thing to avoid objectivelt examining the inquiry presented

Fortunately, there have been a few recently to step forward and acknowledge the validity of the question, notwithstanding their feelings towards OP. Their rational responses and analysis will hopefully shine through to the objective observer brave enough to sift through the entirety of this thread, which admittedly has gotten out of hand.

Delete your account

User avatar
cdotson2

Silver
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby cdotson2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:43 pm

Nebby wrote:Delete your account

savage. :lol:

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:44 pm

follagordas wrote:At its core, the question posed was "how do top med students compare with top law students on a variety of measures?"

Most of the general population would agree that's a valid and/or interesting question.

Many TLS posters, however, distracted by or envious of OP being from HYS, viscerally reject question and fall into cycle of insults, vanity, and group think, any thing to avoid objective examination of the inquiry presented

Fortunately, there have been a few recently to step forward and acknowledge the validity of the question, notwithstanding their feelings towards OP. Their rational responses and analysis will hopefully shine through to the objective observer brave enough to sift through the entirety of this thread, which admittedly has gotten out of hand.

Dude, people aren't irrational because they disagree with you or your premise, or rational because they don't.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:21 am

no bro. it's a stupid fucking question.

it's like asking how top soccer players compare to top basketball players, then pointing out that athletically speaking, basketball players are generally taller but soccer players have better stamina. would you say that soccer players have a better work ethic? or that basketball players have a better personality?

User avatar
zhenders

Silver
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby zhenders » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:55 am

How is this lame-ass thread still going on?

Next, please.

User avatar
Mr. Archer

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby Mr. Archer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:03 am

Very entertaining thread here, although it took a while to read through everything. The general question is odd to me. As someone else pointed out, it’s framed as the top law schools vs. the top medical schools. I would assume intelligence and work ethic are similar, given that you’re looking at most of the best students for law schools and medical schools. It’s just that the path to each is vastly different.

To engage OP’s post in a more constructive way, I would argue OP’s “personality” section is wrong for several reasons. There’s nothing “puzzling” about someone wanting to switch from engineering to patent law. Former engineers can do very well as patent attorneys and think the work is “cool” I guess, although I’ve never asked any lawyer if she thought her work was cool. One of my best professors in law school was an engineer who became a lawyer and then a law professor. It can be “naïve” to want a prestigious big law job, but someone also could just want that job. There’s nothing inherently naïve with setting your sights high for your job if it’s actually obtainable, just as it’s not necessarily naïve to aim for a school like HLS instead of Cooley while studying for the LSAT (gasp, you might even find similar personalities at those two schools). I’m sure there are medical students who want prestigious jobs at well-known hospitals or in specialties like neuroscience that are not naïve to go into medicine for that reason. OP also has government work, public interest, and academia as a separate reason than a desire to practice law. It’s not clear whether OP means non-law government work or law in the government, and the same goes for public interest. In any case, someone could have a desire to practice law and then transition to a different career, so the first two categories are not mutually exclusive. I also don’t know why OP separates wanting to make a difference in the world from a desire to practice law. If someone wants to make a difference in the world and sees the law as the best avenue, then that just sounds like the reason a person has a desire to practice law. Who really wants to practice law just for the sake of practicing any type of law?

AriGold33

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:51 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby AriGold33 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:29 am

.
Last edited by AriGold33 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
heythatslife

Silver
Posts: 1203
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby heythatslife » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:33 am

Excellent trolling, hats off.

User avatar
bearsfan23

Gold
Posts: 1755
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby bearsfan23 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:46 am

Nebby wrote:
follagordas wrote:At its core, the question posed was "how do top med students compare with top law students?"

Most of the general population would agree that's a valid and/or interesting question.

Many TLS posters, however, distracted by or envious of OP being from HYS, viscerally reject question and fall into cycle of insults, vanity, and group think, any thing to avoid objectivelt examining the inquiry presented

Fortunately, there have been a few recently to step forward and acknowledge the validity of the question, notwithstanding their feelings towards OP. Their rational responses and analysis will hopefully shine through to the objective observer brave enough to sift through the entirety of this thread, which admittedly has gotten out of hand.

Delete your account

User avatar
KissMyAxe

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby KissMyAxe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Agreed, there is 0 doubt in my mind OP is at Harvard. I was just about to make a post to see how they liked it there.

And lol at the SAT being determinative of some innate ability.

PS: Also said he was thankful the person wasn't on the admissions committee. That means there was an admissions committee at his school. Checkmate Harvard. (Also called Harvard a good school. No self-respecting Yale student would ever say that of that dumpster-fire).


Wow KMA. Kind of expected better from you. All YLS students I've interacted with so far seem to have an uncontrollable need to put down HLS. I don't get it, and it's starting to piss me off. What is the point? What do y'all get out of it? Yes, there are pretentious people at HLS, but I doubt Yale is immune.

Hildy, why does anyone do anything? For
Image

HonestAdvice

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby HonestAdvice » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:But Honest Advice's posts don't answer the question, assume this is all about you trying to pull chicks, and are also riddled with weird assumptions.

I don't know why you always refer to my assumptions are weird. Granted, I probably come from a slightly lower social class and admittedly have trouble understanding the value of prestige beyond material quality of life improvements. If I'm being serious, both groups tend to be very intelligent.

People downplaying the intelligence of top law students tend to neglect that (1) they're smarter now than they were in college so are judging people more critically, (2) sounding smart tends to have more to do with exposure than anything else (even in the same family, younger siblings tend to have better presentation skills than older siblings of equal intelligence) and (2) law students come from a wider array educational backgrounds. Personally, I was fascinated by how much people knew about history, literature and politics. Anecdotally, the people whose intelligence tends to be underestimated are those who are shy as opposed to quiet, speak and write completely different (common with intelligent people used to blending in with non-intelligent people) and studied things that will never come up in law school conversations like art history or nursing. Women form very conservative upbringings also come tend to be undervalued, because they're less likely to be comfortable speaking in class, which will come across to younger audiences as being unprepared. Obviously, these are generalizations, but they're true more often than not. When these people do well it's chalked up to the arbitrariness of law school grading, which might be true in some cases but more often than not is our natural inclination to stubbornly adhere to first impressions.

If I'm taking OP's question seriously, there's no answer and it's a ridiculous question. Both groups are intelligent and hardworking. Law students are insightful and are valuable to be around with exceptions. I don't get the point of the question unless op is trying to scheme for sex or money. What other reason is there for op wanting to seem the other smartest?



Return to “Forum for Law School Students?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests