Top law students vs. top med students

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:17 pm

devilsadvocatetroll wrote:Has anyone commented on the fact that this guy's name is Fat f***s?

Name is Spanish, so probably hispanic. He/she got an AA boost in admissions, which is how he/she probably is at HYS. Probably had a weak LSAT score and GPA and got in. So probably an idiot. He/she created this idiotic thread, which supports the conclusion of probably an idiot.

I do think the OP's question is idiotic, but this is a crappy thing to say. Banned.

HonestAdvice

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby HonestAdvice » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Lawyers and doctors both tend to overestimate the job markets of the other. Many doctors don't get residencies and struggle, but a much smaller percentage are unemployed than attorneys.

A fairly extensive study from a few years back concluded that women are most attracted to doctors without much regard for specialty area. Men were found to be most attracted to public interest lawyers. If we assume general preferences play out in specific schools then one would imagine that male medical students convey an understated confidence, and male law students convey arrogance in order to hide deep rooted sexual insecurities. Anecdotally, I can confirm that both these assumptions are correct. I also doubt either of these are related to the professions themselves. Male doctors have a more stable career trajectory, a knowledge of the body and provide some form of protection while male lawyers use phrases like "query me a circumstance" and obnoxiously voice their political opinions 8 times a week, thus risking their partner's social reputation. Conversely, female public interest lawyers tend to be caring, working on more interesting things, somewhat intelligent and earn a respectable salary but not respectable enough to intimidate gentlemen insecure about the width x length measurements of their phallic instruments and base their masculinity on outearning their partner. I'd imagine most men are intimidated of female doctors and one would imagine that castration is more common in domestic disputes with medical personnel than women in other professions.

Anecdotally, having dated a couple female medical students, there's a pattern of women who are personable, down to earth and intelligent but not very emotionally intelligent. A lot of the people who do well on the board exams struggle with bedside matter reviews, which makes sense when you consider that most of what doctors do involve the left side of the brain while emotions are in the right side of the brain. My guess is it's a mix of many top med students lacking emotional intelligence, and the nature of hard sciences not requiring emotional intelligence.

Thinking about the incentive structures of the respective professions, you'd assume that law would have more insufferable people but also have more people with great personalities who are easy to talk to. Medicine is a directly useful profession where as law is all popped up on the illusion that legal training is this sophisticated intellectual pursuit with societal changing power. The reality is that great law students are intelligent and multifaceted, but are also just really, really good at bullshitting and being manipulative. Doctors can directly save a person's life. Lawyers can do the same, but require their patient's life to be in the hands of a small group of dim-witted and naive jurors who they can manipulate.
Last edited by HonestAdvice on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clyde Frog

Platinum
Posts: 8978
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby Clyde Frog » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:48 pm

BigZuck wrote:That post is too long; I did not read it because it was so long

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Lots of weird generalizations; didn't miss anything.

curry1

Silver
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby curry1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:14 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:Lawyers and doctors both tend to overestimate the job markets of the other. Many doctors don't get residencies and struggle, but a much smaller percentage are unemployed than attorneys.

A fairly extensive study from a few years back concluded that women are most attracted to doctors without much regard for specialty area. Men were found to be most attracted to public interest lawyers. If we assume general preferences play out in specific schools then one would imagine that male medical students convey an understated confidence, and male law students convey arrogance in order to hide deep rooted sexual insecurities. Anecdotally, I can confirm that both these assumptions are correct. I also doubt either of these are related to the professions themselves. Male doctors have a more stable career trajectory, a knowledge of the body and provide some form of protection while male lawyers use phrases like "query me a circumstance" and obnoxiously voice their political opinions 8 times a week, thus risking their partner's social reputation. Conversely, female public interest lawyers tend to be caring, working on more interesting things, somewhat intelligent and earn a respectable salary but not respectable enough to intimidate gentlemen insecure about the width x length measurements of their phallic instruments and base their masculinity on outearning their partner. I'd imagine most men are intimidated of female doctors and one would imagine that castration is more common in domestic disputes with medical personnel than women in other professions.

Anecdotally, having dated a couple female medical students, there's a pattern of women who are personable, down to earth and intelligent but not very emotionally intelligent. A lot of the people who do well on the board exams struggle with bedside matter reviews, which makes sense when you consider that most of what doctors do involve the left side of the brain while emotions are in the right side of the brain. My guess is it's a mix of many top med students lacking emotional intelligence, and the nature of hard sciences not requiring emotional intelligence.

Thinking about the incentive structures of the respective professions, you'd assume that law would have more insufferable people but also have more people with great personalities who are easy to talk to. Medicine is a directly useful profession where as law is all popped up on the illusion that legal training is this sophisticated intellectual pursuit with societal changing power. The reality is that great law students are intelligent and multifaceted, but are also just really, really good at bullshitting and being manipulative. Doctors can directly save a person's life. Lawyers can do the same, but require their patient's life to be in the hands of a small group of dim-witted and naive jurors who they can manipulate.


decent effort besides left side/right side boomer flame

follagordas

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby follagordas » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:15 pm

devilsadvocatetroll wrote:Has anyone commented on the fact that this guy's name is Fat f***s?

Name is Spanish, so probably hispanic. He/she got an AA boost in admissions, which is how he/she probably is at HYS. Probably had a weak LSAT score and GPA and got in. So probably an idiot. He/she created this idiotic thread, which supports the conclusion of probably an idiot.


Well, in spite of (or perhaps because of) your cultural ignorance, your argument collapses on itself. Yes, my name is "Spanish," but if you had done more sophisticated research besides Googletranslate in your analysis of my heritage (evidenced by your embarrasingly inaccurate translation of my username) you would realize that the verb in question is specific to the Iberian Peninsula (you can easily test this by asking a Latin American if they use the word "follar"; they will either not recognize it at all or say it is strictly used by Spaniards).

As such, any notion of this revealing an AA boost is quickly deflated, since that only applies to PR and Mexican applicants. However, even if we assumed I were URM, I'm sorry to say that my "weak GPA and lsat" are significantly higher than the median and 75th at every tier of LS, including HYS, so if we had indeed accepted your proposed methodology, my conclusion would actually be looking quite good at this point.

Hikikomorist

Platinum
Posts: 7788
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:19 pm

follagordas wrote:
devilsadvocatetroll wrote:Has anyone commented on the fact that this guy's name is Fat f***s?

Name is Spanish, so probably hispanic. He/she got an AA boost in admissions, which is how he/she probably is at HYS. Probably had a weak LSAT score and GPA and got in. So probably an idiot. He/she created this idiotic thread, which supports the conclusion of probably an idiot.


Well, in spite of (or perhaps because of) your cultural ignorance, your argument collapses on itself. Yes, my name is "Spanish," but if you had done more sophisticated research besides Googletranslate in your analysis of my heritage (evidenced by your embarrasingly inaccurate translation of my username) you would realize that the verb in question is specific to the Iberian Peninsula (you can easily test this by asking a Latin American if they use the word "follar"; they will either not recognize it at all or say it is strictly used by Spaniards).

As such, any notion of this revealing an AA boost is quickly deflated, since that only applies to PR and Mexican applicants. However, even if we assumed I were URM, I'm sorry to say that my "weak GPA and lsat" are significantly higher than the median and 75th at every tier of LS, including HYS, so if we had indeed accepted your proposed methodology, my conclusion would actually be looking quite good at this point.

Are you single?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 pm

So what does your username mean then?

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby mjb447 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:49 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:you'd assume that law would have more insufferable people

User avatar
Hildegard15

Gold
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby Hildegard15 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:52 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Agreed, there is 0 doubt in my mind OP is at Harvard. I was just about to make a post to see how they liked it there.

And lol at the SAT being determinative of some innate ability.

PS: Also said he was thankful the person wasn't on the admissions committee. That means there was an admissions committee at his school. Checkmate Harvard. (Also called Harvard a good school. No self-respecting Yale student would ever say that of that dumpster-fire).


Wow KMA. Kind of expected better from you. All YLS students I've interacted with so far seem to have an uncontrollable need to put down HLS. I don't get it, and it's starting to piss me off. What is the point? What do y'all get out of it? Yes, there are pretentious people at HLS, but I doubt Yale is immune.

WheatThins

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby WheatThins » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Not reading through this dumpster fire, but being a "top law student" is differant than being a top law school applicant. There are students at St. John's who would crush many HLS students in law school. And being a top law student doesn't even mean being a good lawyer, which should be the goal right?

HonestAdvice

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby HonestAdvice » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:34 pm

WheatThins wrote:Not reading through this dumpster fire, but being a "top law student" is differant than being a top law school applicant. There are students at St. John's who would crush many HLS students in law school. And being a top law student doesn't even mean being a good lawyer, which should be the goal right?

A disproportionately high number of those SJU students aren't paying tuition. This doesn't affect your point, but is worth mentioning, because it's often forgotten.

Regardless, it seems OP is concerned about attracting prestige diggers, who are like gold diggers but are driven by prestige and not gold, though the two likely overlap in some cases. This is not a healthy pursuit, because it's inherently unlikely to lead to happiness. You're hoping to attract people based on what you have rather than what you are. You're likelier to find happiness with a gold digger, because compare the personalities of a woman who fantasizes about flying on a private jet with her man to make moonlight love at a private villa in Monaco with the personality of a woman who fantasizes about going to prestigious conferences to hear about the latest FINRA regulations with a federal law clerk.

In addition, you're basing your self worth on things with no value. Your admission numbers are useless except to the extent they get you into a particular school. In extremes, there might be some correlation with intelligence, but even intelligence is a poor measure of what you seem to want: social standing and respect. The best predictor of future social standing is present social standing, not your IQ or your LSAT.
Last edited by HonestAdvice on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
neubyneu

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby neubyneu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:46 pm

.
Last edited by neubyneu on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby PrezRand » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
BigZuck wrote:That post is too long; I did not read it because it was so long

follagordas

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby follagordas » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:21 pm

neubyneu wrote:
follagordas wrote:I'm sorry to say that my "weak GPA and lsat" are significantly higher than the median and 75th at every tier of LS, including HYS, so if we had indeed accepted your proposed methodology, my conclusion would actually be looking quite good at this point.


Pretty weirdly redundant thing to say, unless you meant "GPA and LSAT are high than the median and 75th, respectively." Higher than 75th implies higher than 50th when dealing with medians.

So you've got a ~3.95 and a 178+ (using the "significantly" here). What was turning down a full scholarship at CCN and other schools like? To tie it into the question, dyou think Med students would be more or less likely to pick loads of debt over ever-so-slightly-less-prestigious schooling with no debt? Not that there aren't arguably valid reasons to pick HYS. Just wondering.


Good questions that I didnt fully consider before and I'm glad you brought up. If we areally just going by economic incentives, I think most med students (at least ones who want to practice medicine) would be "better off" taking the scholarship, given that potential salary increase at a top school seems much less than in law school (whether they would is a different story, ofc. I tend to think the power of prestige is quite dangerous and is very seductive to a student, as well as their parents, blinding them to the prospect of debt and the fact that professionally speaking, prestige of institution is so much less important in medicine). Meanwhile, If the student is planning on doing research or academia, I suppose it's also a different story, though in general it's tough to spec because there are so few med scholarships, and the ones that do exist tend to occur at the top schools (such as mayo clinic where students usually get at least half scholarships no matter what). Perhaps it would be useful to look at yield % at top schools?

As for my own situation, that's a valid question, though I'd be much more comfortable discussing it via pm, as I feel I've already gotten too personal in this thread.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:25 pm

just when you thought this thread couldn't get any worse...

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby BigZuck » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:49 pm

OP- What does your username mean?

follagordas

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby follagordas » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 am

BigZuck wrote:OP- What does your username mean?


It's not easy to explain, as is often the case with translation. If I wrote it out you'd probably stop reading halfway, just like you did at the beginning of this topic. Pm me if you'really really curious

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:24 am

No but really, what does it mean?

follagordas

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby follagordas » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 am

HonestAdvice wrote:Lawyers and doctors both tend to overestimate the job markets of the other. Many doctors don't get residencies and struggle, but a much smaller percentage are unemployed than attorneys.

A fairly extensive study from a few years back concluded that women are most attracted to doctors without much regard for specialty area. Men were found to be most attracted to public interest lawyers. If we assume general preferences play out in specific schools then one would imagine that male medical students convey an understated confidence, and male law students convey arrogance in order to hide deep rooted sexual insecurities. Anecdotally, I can confirm that both these assumptions are correct. I also doubt either of these are related to the professions themselves. Male doctors have a more stable career trajectory, a knowledge of the body and provide some form of protection while male lawyers use phrases like "query me a circumstance" and obnoxiously voice their political opinions 8 times a week, thus risking their partner's social reputation. Conversely, female public interest lawyers tend to be caring, working on more interesting things, somewhat intelligent and earn a respectable salary but not respectable enough to intimidate gentlemen insecure about the width x length measurements of their phallic instruments and base their masculinity on outearning their partner. I'd imagine most men are intimidated of female doctors and one would imagine that castration is more common in domestic disputes with medical personnel than women in other professions.

Anecdotally, having dated a couple female medical students, there's a pattern of women who are personable, down to earth and intelligent but not very emotionally intelligent. A lot of the people who do well on the board exams struggle with bedside matter reviews, which makes sense when you consider that most of what doctors do involve the left side of the brain while emotions are in the right side of the brain. My guess is it's a mix of many top med students lacking emotional intelligence, and the nature of hard sciences not requiring emotional intelligence.

Thinking about the incentive structures of the respective professions, you'd assume that law would have more insufferable people but also have more people with great personalities who are easy to talk to. Medicine is a directly useful profession where as law is all popped up on the illusion that legal training is this sophisticated intellectual pursuit with societal changing power. The reality is that great law students are intelligent and multifaceted, but are also just really, really good at bullshitting and being manipulative. Doctors can directly save a person's life. Lawyers can do the same, but require their patient's life to be in the hands of a small group of dim-witted and naive jurors who they can manipulate.


Fascinating post. Thanks for this.

follagordas

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby follagordas » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:22 am

lymenheimer wrote:
follagordas wrote:except I never made an assertion, only "preliminary thoughts," as I've reiterated several times.

Preliminary thoughts based on what?


Depends what you're referring to. The stats obviously were based off actual data samples. The rest were either personal obvservations, hunches, and conjecture. Altogether they were meant to sort of frame the question, not to serve as some sort of definitive treatise or declaration on the issue. In any case I really just want to know what you think about the issue.

lymenheimer wrote:They don't both have to be valid, nor do they have to agree. They just have to be better/stronger than your argument. Maybe you'll learn something similar at Harvard. Otherwise, dunno how you'll effectively represent your client.

You are correct that they don't both have to be valid, but if they are blatantly or even partially contradictory, that is suspicious. For example, let's say you have a wealthy girl in your class who you and your friends don't get along with. One day, you and your friends all declare she's ugly, but provide different reasons for why. You say her nose is too big. Friend 1 says the only redeeming feature of her face is her nose. Friend 2 says she's too much of a chatterbox. Friend 3 says she's too quiet and never talks to anybody. Friend 4 says she's anorexic and too skinny. Friend 5 says she's overweight and needs to lose a few pounds.

Is the girl actually ugly? Maybe, but why then are there so many contradicting opinions? One must at least acknowledge the possibility that you and your friends simply don't like the girl, and are coming up with reasons for why she's unattractive.

User avatar
elterrible78

Silver
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:07 am

BigZuck wrote:No but really, what does it mean?


I speak near-native Spanish, and it straight means "fucker of fat girls." I'm not sure if that's what the OP meant with it, but that's what it means. I'm sure this pedantic nitwit *could* come up with a page-long explanation, but there it is. Took no time at all to explain.

Google "follagordas" and take a look at the results.

follagordas

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby follagordas » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:57 am

elterrible78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:No but really, what does it mean?


I speak near-native Spanish, and it straight means "fucker of fat girls." I'm not sure if that's what the OP meant with it, but that's what it means. I'm sure this pedantic nitwit *could* come up with a page-long explanation, but there it is. Took no time at all to explain.

Google "follagordas" and take a look at the results.


Well, in what certainly appears like a precipitated attempt to finally impress everyone with your "near-native Spanish" skills, you unfortunately stepped far outside your field of expertise, and in the process committed a similar gaffe to your fellow poster. As mentioned prevoiusly, the word in question is restricted to the Iberian Peninsula, but that is the only sense in which it is "Spanish," as linguistically it comes from the language spoken in Galicia, an autonomous community located in the northwest part of the country (this is likewise easily testable through your favorite search tool, as Galician is the initial language through which google translate will attempt (unsuccessfully) to convert the phrase to English). While you are there, you may also learn that the word possesses several common meanings, all of which are rudimentary in nature and bear no resemblance to the pornographic definition you described in your post (for that reason, although I have yet to do the image search, I would imagine there are significantly fewer explicit images when entering the term than you seem to suggest).

For the sake of everyone involved, I do not want to go further down this rabbit hole; as I have repeated on several occasions, If you want to know the meaning behind my username, feel free to pm me. Otherwise, you are simply speculating at your own risk.
Last edited by follagordas on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elterrible78

Silver
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:59 am

follagordas wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:No but really, what does it mean?


I speak near-native Spanish, and it straight means "fucker of fat girls." I'm not sure if that's what the OP meant with it, but that's what it means. I'm sure this pedantic nitwit *could* come up with a page-long explanation, but there it is. Took no time at all to explain.

Google "follagordas" and take a look at the results.


Well, in what certainly appears like a precipitated attempt to finally impress everyone with your "near-native Spanish" skills, you unfortunately stepped far outside your field of expertise, and in the process committed a similar gaffe to your fellow poster. As mentioned prevoiusly, the word in question is restricted to the Iberian Peninsula, but that is the only sense in which it is "Spanish," as linguistically it comes from the language spoken in Galicia, an autonomous community located in the northwest part of the country (this is likewise easily testable through your favorite search tool, as Galician is the initial language through which google translate will attempt (unsuccessfully) to convert the phrase to English). While you are there, you will also learn that the word possesses a much more rudimentary definition than the pornographic definition you shoddily came up with in your post (for that reason, although I have yet to do the image search, I would imagine there are significantly fewer explicit images when entering the term than you seem to suggest).

For the sake of everyone involved, I do not want to go further down this rabbit hole; as I have repeated on several occasions, If you want to know the meaning behind my username, feel free to pm me. Otherwise, you are simply speculating at your own risk.


Oh, I know all about the regional nature of the word. Rather than continue to spout out bullshit like "precipitated attempt," why don't you give us a quick translation, then, of your username. There's substantially more interest in that than there is in your original post.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Top law students vs. top med students

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:15 am

elterrible78 wrote:I'm sure this pedantic nitwit *could* come up with a page-long explanation


You were right!



Return to “Forum for Law School Students?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests