MPRE November 2016

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nonconsecutive

Gold

Re: MPRE November 2016

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:36 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:I think your approach is sound and I'm sure you'll do fine. 2 weeks felt good for me.

Cool, thanks for the input! For whatever reason I have been loathe to study for the MPRE when I could instead use those hours to get paid for RA work. :lol:

But I suppose it's time to batten down and do it, I just hope I can manage to pay attention to all the lectures since I struggle with 3 minute YouTube videos these days.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:I think your approach is sound and I'm sure you'll do fine. 2 weeks felt good for me.

Cool, thanks for the input! For whatever reason I have been loathe to study for the MPRE when I could instead use those hours to get paid for RA work. :lol:

But I suppose it's time to batten down and do it, I just hope I can manage to pay attention to all the lectures since I struggle with 3 minute YouTube videos these days.

LOL my initial plan was to study for three weeks. So I know all about putting it off.

Just from me to you, I think you can get away with either the book OR the lecture for a lot of the sections. For me, if it was a longer section in the book I would listen to the video instead and fill out lecture notes. I feel like no video was longer than 25 minutes.

But if you're doing Barbri make time for the practice questions. The Barbri practice questions are pretty close to what you'll see on the exam.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:48 pm

Jesus, 2-3 weeks?

I watched the 6 hours of barbri video and did about 80 practice questions. Only got a 92, but who the fuck cares?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:05 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:Just from me to you, I think you can get away with either the book OR the lecture for a lot of the sections. For me, if it was a longer section in the book I would listen to the video instead and fill out lecture notes. I feel like no video was longer than 25 minutes.

But if you're doing Barbri make time for the practice questions. The Barbri practice questions are pretty close to what you'll see on the exam.

Good to know. I think my biggest issue atm is that the lecture videos reference the book out of order for me. Like, what he is talking about is covered in the pages they have listed, but it's all out of order sometimes by several pages. I have the 2016 book too and am reading the exact pages the website tells me to, so I'm not sure what I'm screwing up there. Not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Jesus, 2-3 weeks?

I watched the 6 hours of barbri video and did about 80 practice questions. Only got a 92, but who the fuck cares?

Since I took the MPRE after I passed the bar I really, really wanted to be sure I passed. And I had heard a lot of horror stories about people who had failed the first time because they hadn't taken the exam seriously.

And two weeks felt right for me. It was enough time to get through the material without it feeling rushed or cramming the day before. And it wasn't so much time where I would forget things.

The MPRE was probably the few exams where I truly had nothing more to do with more than 1/2 an hour left, and left feeling pretty confident.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:10 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Just from me to you, I think you can get away with either the book OR the lecture for a lot of the sections. For me, if it was a longer section in the book I would listen to the video instead and fill out lecture notes. I feel like no video was longer than 25 minutes.

Good to know. I think my biggest issue atm is that the lecture videos reference the book out of order for me. Like, what he is talking about is covered in the pages they have listed, but it's all out of order sometimes by several pages. I have the 2016 book too and am reading the exact pages the website tells me to, so I'm not sure what I'm screwing up there. Not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying.

ha ha, someone else had the same problem.

When you're watching the lecture, the lecture handout notes are in a different section of the book than the actual outlines.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:16 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:When you're watching the lecture, the lecture handout notes are in a different section of the book than the actual outlines.

Ah yep. Complete fail on my part. It would be nice if they listed both sets of pages for slow folks like me. :lol:

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:When you're watching the lecture, the lecture handout notes are in a different section of the book than the actual outlines.

Ah yep. Complete fail on my part. It would be nice if they listed both sets of pages for slow folks like me. :lol:

They really should, because this shouldn't be an issue that comes up for multiple people. I don't think you're slow, because the outline notes are close enough to the lecture to reasonably think that the two are linked, not to assume there is another section.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have known about the lecture handout if I hadn't seen someone ask that question!

Also my attention span for these videos doesn't bode well for the bar exam.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah, holy cow, this is so much better now that I actually know how to follow along. I guess I skipped too many of those workbook assignments back in elementary school.

Slytherpuff wrote:Also my attention span for these videos doesn't bode well for the bar exam.

I'm concerned about this as well, though I will say that following along rather than aimlessly searching for what he was talking about did make the 30 minute lecture feel like 30 minutes rather than 2 hours, heh.

marmarmv

New

Postby marmarmv » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:22 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:I'm finally starting to study today - hoping I can knock out a bunch of lectures and questions this weekend so that I can relax over Halloween.

Probably doing a mix of Barbri and Themis so that I can decide which bar exam course will fit me better.

I thought the Barbri practice questions were almost exactly like the MPRE questions. Not sure if it's the same for themis.

I purchased the practice exam from the NCBE and the questions were exactly the same as Themis PQ's and Practice Exams. $35 wasted right there...

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:42 pm

Edit: spoilered this in case people are actually stressing out about this test.
[+] Spoiler
You know, once you actually start studying, the MPRE doesn't seem too bad. Two weeks is soooo much time to learn the material. I should have just started after Halloween. :lol:

de minimis

New

Postby de minimis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:25 pm

marmarmv wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:I'm finally starting to study today - hoping I can knock out a bunch of lectures and questions this weekend so that I can relax over Halloween.

Probably doing a mix of Barbri and Themis so that I can decide which bar exam course will fit me better.

I thought the Barbri practice questions were almost exactly like the MPRE questions. Not sure if it's the same for themis.

I purchased the practice exam from the NCBE and the questions were exactly the same as Themis PQ's and Practice Exams. $35 wasted right there...

Are the Barbri questions different?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:24 am

Slytherpuff wrote:Edit: spoilered this in case people are actually stressing out about this test.
[+] Spoiler
You know, once you actually start studying, the MPRE doesn't seem too bad. Two weeks is soooo much time to learn the material. I should have just started after Halloween. :lol:

I'm feeling the same way. But I am also wary of such feelings being an overly cautious risk-adverse neurotic and all. :D

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:29 am

I think the fact that we still have a lot of time is helping. I'm feeling pretty good about my chances right now, and I know if I keep working through the lectures/outline/questions this week and do a bunch more questions next week before the exam, I'll be fine.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:58 am

Slytherpuff wrote:I think the fact that we still have a lot of time is helping. I'm feeling pretty good about my chances right now, and I know if I keep working through the lectures/outline/questions this week and do a bunch more questions next week before the exam, I'll be fine.

Yeah, agreed. I think based on my personal study style not waiting until right before the test will probably yield the best results, even if my procrastination side would have preferred that and I might have passed just fine either way.

marmarmv

New

Postby marmarmv » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:56 pm

de minimis wrote:
marmarmv wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Are the Barbri questions different?

yes!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 pm

marmarmv wrote:
de minimis wrote:Are the Barbri questions different?
yes!

This is good to know, thanks!

MavEryck

New

Postby MavEryck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:13 pm

It really bums me out to read about people taking shortcuts when it comes to studying for the MPRE.

I studied for about 40 hours and memorized the rules. I'm not telling you this to brag...

Here's the deal... I looked at studying for the MPRE the same way I looked at studying for the Bar Exam.

These exams are not just about passing and getting it out of the way... Especially the MPRE...these are the rules that you will live your life by for the rest of your career. Not just at work either. Lawyers are held to a very high standard. Memorizing the MPRE rules and learning to live by them will pay you back 1000x the effort that it takes you on the front end to learn and memorize the rules.

My very first law firm job seemed like a dream come true! I couldn't believe my luck because I had stumbled onto it quite by accident. From day 1 the Partner I was working for asked me to do a couple of things that didn't seem ethical to me (BECAUSE I memorized the rules)! I double checked and sure enough, the things I was being asked to do were in violation of the rules! Moreover, I looked up the Partner and found that he had gotten into trouble with the State Bar and had to retake the MPRE. That means he got caught violating the ethical rules!

So, you can skate by with as little practice as necessary to just "pass" the MPRE...but if you get caught breaking one of those rules that you didn't take the time to incorporate into your life then shame on you and you will have no one to blame but yourself if it hits the fan...

I quit the first job with that law firm and got hired at the Firm I am with now. This Firm does not ask me to break any rules of professional conduct.

Don't get disbarred!

Fyi, there is a publication that goes out in print with lawyer's names who got busted. I remember when my professor stood up in the front of the class and showed us that publication... He said "I hope I never see any of your names in this."

I went back to my law school and thanks him for that... and told him that I quit my job because of what I was asked to do.

Eat, sleep, and breathe these rules... One day your career might depend on some small rule that you memorized today!

MavEryck

New

Postby MavEryck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:15 pm

I know that was a long post...

But, I wrote it because I truly care about what happens to each of you as you prepare to enter into the profession of law. 8)

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:48 pm

model rules are just the model rules bro

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 am

MavEryck wrote:I know that was a long post...

But, I wrote it because I truly care about what happens to each of you as you prepare to enter into the profession of law. 8)

But do you do the 50 hours recommended pro bono?

MavEryck

New

Postby MavEryck » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:58 pm

barkschool wrote:

Yes (re: 50 hours recommended pro bono).

In fact during law school I began a regimen of doing Pro Bono hours to help my local community during my 1L summer and continued throughout. In my later years it was required from my law school. However, I began Pro Bono long before it counted toward my hours and I will continue Pro Bono...not because it is recommended but because it feels like the right thing to do, for me.

The Pro Bono work I have done has had a positive impact on the lives of people, which is what got me into the legal profession to begin with.

I will never forget the look on my first Pro Bono client's face when he heard that I was helping free of charge... He asked me why I was taking my time to help him?

I said because I want to. His face lit up. He told me that he plans to do something to pay it forward. He was interested in feeding the homeless in a soup line as a way of giving back to the community. Right then I knew I was doing the right thing.

Pro Bono doesn't mean free... Pro Bono means "for the good of the people." Doing Pro Bono work makes the world a better place, for everyone.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:14 pm

MavEryck wrote:
barkschool wrote:

Yes (re: 50 hours recommended pro bono).

In fact during law school I began a regimen of doing Pro Bono hours to help my local community during my 1L summer and continued throughout. In my later years it was required from my law school. However, I began Pro Bono long before it counted toward my hours and I will continue Pro Bono...not because it is recommended but because it feels like the right thing to do, for me.

The Pro Bono work I have done has had a positive impact on the lives of people, which is what got me into the legal profession to begin with.

I will never forget the look on my first Pro Bono client's face when he heard that I was helping free of charge... He asked me why I was taking my time to help him?

I said because I want to. His face lit up. He told me that he plans to do something to pay it forward. He was interested in feeding the homeless in a soup line as a way of giving back to the community. Right then I knew I was doing the right thing.

Pro Bono doesn't mean free... Pro Bono means "for the good of the people." Doing Pro Bono work makes the world a better place, for everyone.

Are you an ad?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:26 pm

My studying progress has stalled over the past couple of days - I came down with a cold and it's taking me three times as long to read through each section of the Barbri outline. Hopefully I'll be better by next Saturday!

How's everyone else doing?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?