What Would You Change About Law School?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: What Would You Change About Law School?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:23 pm

I think issue-spotter exams are terrible and useless and would rather have short answer and multiple choice for everything. (Totally coincidentally, I sucked at essay exams. :P I think the best essays I ever wrote were on the bar.)

Make legal writing classes less goddamn obsessed with draconian word limits and give more room to naturally figuring out how to write coherently and efficiently in what feels like a foreign language at first. Also, be less obsessed with the formal Memo/Brief structures since real-world writing is much more flexible than implied by your writing professor.

If contracts and torts are required, evidence should be required. There should be an entire elective course on Hearsay, considering how much of a trial attorney's life it takes up.

Someone mentioned requiring more state law...but I disagree, because so many people are going to leave the state where they go to law school. I think no state law should be taught. I learned IL law in school and had to self-teach both OR (for the bar) and WA (for a summer job) law and I would rather have never wasted brain bandwidth on IL law. Well, maybe just a little bit to show how any state interacts with Federal.

And definitely close half of law schools.

bacillusanthracis

New

Postby bacillusanthracis » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Someone mentioned requiring more state law...but I disagree, because so many people are going to leave the state where they go to law school. I think no state law should be taught. I learned IL law in school and had to self-teach both OR (for the bar) and WA (for a summer job) law and I would rather have never wasted brain bandwidth on IL law. Well, maybe just a little bit to show how any state interacts with Federal.

I've been waiting for you. :)

See, my thing is that if you want to go out of state, that's on you. No one makes you go to a different state to go to law school.

Why should a student in California have to spend half a second on the four unities of joint tenancy when that doctrine was abolished here in 1947? And then to see it show up on a final or the bar? It strikes me as nothing short of absurd to be made to learn what is clearly not the law.

Med students practice on human cadavers. It would be alarming if they'd been trained on cat corpses. Like, "It's okay for me to remove your gall bladder; cats and humans are pretty much the same anatomically." Yeaaaaaah--NO.

But I'm going solo right out of school. That's what my plan was before starting and it still is, so I'll acknowledge that my axe grinding on this issue is very much due to personal reasons.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:00 pm

UBE, people, UBE.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:08 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
I've been waiting for you. :)

See, my thing is that if you want to go out of state, that's on you. No one makes you go to a different state to go to law school.

Most states don't have a top law school.

And I don't think Yale is bothering to teach their students lots of Connecticut law. They'll learn whatever state law they need.

Going solo out of law school is insane with the way curriculums are set up with no practical skills. State law isn't the problem.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Clinics are great. And I would have loved to have been more prepared for my job. While you're going to have to learn a lot on the job, if I could have learned more of it in school it would have made the learning curve way less onerous.

That said, there are so many different kinds of legal jobs and so much of what you need to know is specific to a given field/employer, I'm not sure how effectively schools could teach practical stuff. But it would be worth trying.

(Also some of this is up to the student. You want to take Hugging Puppies and the Law, go for it. No one's being required to take that kind of class so if it exists it's not really that big a deal.)

(Also, lol at the idea that having an extra year to chill is going to make up for working for the rest of your life. like 10 years from now it's not going to have made the slightest difference.)

It's making a difference now. So I'm not sure how 10 years in the future, I'll be looking back and lamenting the free time I have right now. If anything, I'll probably be envious.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:52 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Someone mentioned requiring more state law...but I disagree, because so many people are going to leave the state where they go to law school. I think no state law should be taught. I learned IL law in school and had to self-teach both OR (for the bar) and WA (for a summer job) law and I would rather have never wasted brain bandwidth on IL law. Well, maybe just a little bit to show how any state interacts with Federal.

If you're not at a t14 law school, you're likely at a school in a state that you can (at minimum) see yourself practicing in. It makes total sense to teach state law at those sorts of schools.

As for issuer spotter exams, they are awesome. I hate policy questions more than anything.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:04 am

Since idk that it has been brought up, merit aid is probably a net negative, and I have benefited from it more than just about anybody.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:06 pm

sublime wrote:Since idk that it has been brought up, merit aid is probably a net negative, and I have benefited from it more than just about anybody.

*Law school deans greedily nod their heads*

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:36 am

I would eliminate it entirely.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�