Is a Summer Publication Offer-->Final Publication the next Spring a typical timeline?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Glitter293

Bronze

Is a Summer Publication Offer-->Final Publication the next Spring a typical timeline?

Postby Glitter293 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:01 pm

resolved
Last edited by Glitter293 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Silver

Re: Is a Summer Publication Offer-->Final Publication the next Spring a typical timeline?

Postby Jchance » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:12 pm

v (below) What s/he said
Last edited by Jchance on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Is a Summer Publication Offer-->Final Publication the next Spring a typical timeline?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:22 pm

Totally never worked on a HYS journal, but based on my school's: that is a pretty normal timeline. They may well have already filled the fall/winter issue(s), or they have something on a similar topic for fall and don't want duplication in one issue (or other topical concerns), and six months is actually a pretty fast turnaround.

But for resume issues, accepted for publication is pretty much of the same value as actually published - an employer (if that's what you're worried about) isn't going to care whether the piece appears in Fall 2016, Spring 2017, or Fall '17 - it's getting accepted that matters. If it's an employer who might want to see the piece (like an academic employer or more erudite COA judge), you can send the version you submitted (especially because a judge may well want to see an unedited version). You may well have a specific reason for wanting pieces published before Spring 2017 ends, but I don't think you have to worry about the work being out so much as being accepted.

As for which journal - I don't know for certain, but I have often thought that publishing outside your school is valuable for the reasons you mention. However, you're also at a school where most if not all the journals are going to be of good quality/highly ranked. At a lot of schools, publishing "by right" is only for students who are actually members of that journal (though I realize that's not the case everywhere). I think if you don't have membership in that journal on your resume, employers (who care) will realize/assume you didn't get published by virtue of being a member/student at the school. I also think (but am not sure) that a journal that accepts student work through the normal submission process (and not by virtue of you being a student at the school) would publish it as part of the regular articles sections, and not label it a student note. (But I'm not sure about this because my journal didn't take student work.) In the end, getting placed the best journal is probably more important than whether it's at a different school or not (people who are really up on the academic field in question will probably know better their policies about student work and know how you got published on a given journal).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�