Note Topic

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tdavismane

New

Note Topic

Postby tdavismane » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello all,

I have to come up with a note topic by Friday and am struggling to find something to write about. I have tried searching Lexis and WestLaw for topics by searching "beyond the scope" "first impression" "circuit w/2 split" but am not finding much still. Does anyone have any specific topics preferably but not necessarily related to education or sports that would be good ideas to write about or any advice? Thank you!

Worried Law Student

bretby

Bronze

Re: Note Topic

Postby bretby » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:26 pm

tdavismane wrote:Hello all,

I have to come up with a note topic by Friday and am struggling to find something to write about. I have tried searching Lexis and WestLaw for topics by searching "beyond the scope" "first impression" "circuit w/2 split" but am not finding much still. Does anyone have any specific topics preferably but not necessarily related to education or sports that would be good ideas to write about or any advice? Thank you!

Worried Law Student

Try “Circuit Split Roundup” in United States Law Week - you can get it on Bloomberg or probably through your library portal.

JGMotorsport

New

Postby JGMotorsport » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm writing about water law. Lots of interesting issues for those of us out west.

tdavismane

New

Postby tdavismane » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:32 pm

JGMotorsport wrote:I'm writing about water law. Lots of interesting issues for those of us out west.

How did you go about finding a topic in water law? Did you just know a potential legal issue that has not been discussed involving this area? Or did you do some searches on articles about water law from the past until you found something to write about? My understanding is that notes have to be about a potential issue of law that may arise in the future or has not been ruled upon but I may be wrong!

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Is there anything you care about? I think standing doctrine is too strict in some cases, and decided to find a new way of approaching the issue to advocate change. Are there any controlling legal issues that you'd like to see changed?

JGMotorsport

New

Postby JGMotorsport » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:39 pm

tdavismane wrote:
JGMotorsport wrote:I'm writing about water law. Lots of interesting issues for those of us out west.

How did you go about finding a topic in water law? Did you just know a potential legal issue that has not been discussed involving this area? Or did you do some searches on articles about water law from the past until you found something to write about? My understanding is that notes have to be about a potential issue of law that may arise in the future or has not been ruled upon but I may be wrong!

Everything is a legal issue if you dive deep enough.

I'm in AZ, we have a large water regulation regime that will be tested next year as we start having our Colorado River deliveries cut.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 am

Pick an area of law of interest. Find a website or ask the law librarians to point you in the direction of newsletters that might contain summaries of recent relevant decisions (e.g. employment law). Find one that sounds interesting (especially one with a dissent).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Postby sflyr2016 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Explore this: http://associatesmind.com/2016/07/11/is ... o-illegal/

Could be something there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?