MPRE

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joshringu

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:41 pm

MPRE

Postby joshringu » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:40 am

My plan was to read the BARBRI outline a couple times, watch the videos, and do practice questions and exams. Is this enough? I was also thinking of re-writing the BARBRI outline into my own words. Is re-writing the outline unnecessary work? I do not want to waste time on unnecessary tasks. Is reading the outline enough to pass the MPRE? I'm taking it in California.

User avatar
Black Hat

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby Black Hat » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 am

joshringu wrote:My plan was to read the BARBRI outline a couple times, watch the videos, and do practice questions and exams. Is this enough? I was also thinking of re-writing the BARBRI outline into my own words. Is re-writing the outline unnecessary work? I do not want to waste time on unnecessary tasks. Is reading the outline enough to pass the MPRE? I'm taking it in California.



I took it twice, because my first score expired. I passed both times by huge margins. All I did was read the ABA ethics book a few times. All of the questions are based on those rules, the test is quite easy compared to the Bar. I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: MPRE

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:37 am

I studied for (and passed) the MPRE by reading a prep book and doing some practice questions on my phone on the way to a party. Don't overthink it.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby Nebby » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:10 am

joshringu wrote:My plan was to read the BARBRI outline a couple times, watch the videos, and do practice questions and exams. Is this enough? I was also thinking of re-writing the BARBRI outline into my own words. Is re-writing the outline unnecessary work? I do not want to waste time on unnecessary tasks. Is reading the outline enough to pass the MPRE? I'm taking it in California.

Do the Themis course. I passed easily after doing it. Takes about 20 hours total

joeyc328

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby joeyc328 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:53 pm

If you have to guess go with the 2nd most ethical sounding answer. The most ethical is usually too good to be true.

redtalun

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby redtalun » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:10 pm

joeyc328 wrote:If you have to guess go with the 2nd most ethical sounding answer. The most ethical is usually too good to be true.

Tracks the advice I got from a lawyer-friend: pick the answer that makes you mildly uncomfortable ==> passed by a huge margin

NotMyRealName09

Silver
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Nebby wrote:
joshringu wrote:My plan was to read the BARBRI outline a couple times, watch the videos, and do practice questions and exams. Is this enough? I was also thinking of re-writing the BARBRI outline into my own words. Is re-writing the outline unnecessary work? I do not want to waste time on unnecessary tasks. Is reading the outline enough to pass the MPRE? I'm taking it in California.

Do the Themis course. I passed easily after doing it. Takes about 20 hours total


If you've taken PR as a class already, or are in the middle of taking it, you can get by with like half a day's prep. I had BarBri, watched their lecture, took the practice questions, 20 hours seems like a lot but if you haven't taken PR yet then I guess I could see that.

nick417

Bronze
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: MPRE

Postby nick417 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:49 pm

joshringu wrote:My plan was to read the BARBRI outline a couple times, watch the videos, and do practice questions and exams. Is this enough? I was also thinking of re-writing the BARBRI outline into my own words. Is re-writing the outline unnecessary work? I do not want to waste time on unnecessary tasks. Is reading the outline enough to pass the MPRE? I'm taking it in California.


If you have already taken PR in law school, 3 days studying is all you need to pass. Watch the BarBri video and answer all 180 questions they have online. That is more than enough to pass.

joshringu

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby joshringu » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:31 am

Thanks everyone! What if I didn't take PR?

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby Nebby » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:01 pm

joshringu wrote:Thanks everyone! What if I didn't take PR?

I didn't take PR when I took the MPRE and did the Themis course

User avatar
Black Hat

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby Black Hat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:57 pm

joshringu wrote:Thanks everyone! What if I didn't take PR?



PR definitely helps to understand the rules, but it isn't the end of the world. Just study more!

brorepresentation1

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby brorepresentation1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:04 pm

do both themis and barbri, you will pass if you do this.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby Nebby » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm

brorepresentation1 wrote:do both themis and barbri, you will pass if you do this.

Even I think this is overkill

brorepresentation1

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby brorepresentation1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Nebby wrote:
brorepresentation1 wrote:do both themis and barbri, you will pass if you do this.

Even I think this is overkill


It may be overkill, but if a student does both they will pass. Both programs do not take much time to complete.

lawstuffs

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby lawstuffs » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:33 pm

you can literally pass the MPRE studying no more than 4 hours. read the free barbri outline, do some problems. the mpre never feels "good" but its pretty hard to fail.

blueapple

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: MPRE

Postby blueapple » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:12 pm

lawstuffs wrote:you can literally pass the MPRE studying no more than 4 hours. read the free barbri outline, do some problems. the mpre never feels "good" but its pretty hard to fail.


I don't understand why some people keep saying the MPRE is basically auto-pass. I passed on the first try as do many (most?) people, but I also know plenty of smart people T-14s who had to take it a second time because they didn't take it seriously. Do either the barbri or themis course (should just take an afternoon), do a couple of practice tests and review the questions you got wrong, and you should be good to go -- but there's no point in blowing it off and having to take it again.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BVest

Platinum
Posts: 7887
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby BVest » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:30 pm

blueapple wrote:
lawstuffs wrote:you can literally pass the MPRE studying no more than 4 hours. read the free barbri outline, do some problems. the mpre never feels "good" but its pretty hard to fail.


I don't understand why some people keep saying the MPRE is basically auto-pass. I passed on the first try as do many (most?) people, but I also know plenty of smart people T-14s who had to take it a second time because they didn't take it seriously. Do either the barbri or themis course (should just take an afternoon), do a couple of practice tests and review the questions you got wrong, and you should be good to go -- but there's no point in blowing it off and having to take it again.


Nobody said don't take it seriously. They said study smart, and provided how to do that. But I agree that you don't want to take it twice. The administrative bullshit is more painful than the exam itself, so anything you can do to avoid that is worth it.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueapple

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: MPRE

Postby blueapple » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:29 pm

BVest wrote:
blueapple wrote:
lawstuffs wrote:you can literally pass the MPRE studying no more than 4 hours. read the free barbri outline, do some problems. the mpre never feels "good" but its pretty hard to fail.


I don't understand why some people keep saying the MPRE is basically auto-pass. I passed on the first try as do many (most?) people, but I also know plenty of smart people T-14s who had to take it a second time because they didn't take it seriously. Do either the barbri or themis course (should just take an afternoon), do a couple of practice tests and review the questions you got wrong, and you should be good to go -- but there's no point in blowing it off and having to take it again.


Nobody said don't take it seriously. They said study smart, and provided how to do that. But I agree that you don't want to take it twice. The administrative bullshit is more painful than the exam itself, so anything you can do to avoid that is worth it.


"It's pretty hard to fail" sounds a lot like "don't take it seriously" to me but that's fine.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Are the real MPRE questions like the BARBRI practice questions?

Edited -- because I typed nonsense earlier.
Last edited by rcharter1978 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gr8scOtt!

Bronze
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Re: MPRE

Postby gr8scOtt! » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Does anyone know, if you finish early, can you leave early?

User avatar
BVest

Platinum
Posts: 7887
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

www.top-law-schools.com

Postby BVest » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:42 pm




Return to “Forum for Law School Students�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests