"Reading Law"

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
azteacher

New

"Reading Law"

Postby azteacher » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm not a law student, but have (and still do) toy around with the idea of attending at some point. Possibly? I was just randomly Googling topics and came across "Reading Law," the idea that you can become an attorney without needing to spend $$$ to attend law school. I know this is a law school forum, which obviously has its own bias, but I'm curious, what are your thoughts about this process? I've been reading some websites which outline the pros and cons of taking this route, but want to know what you think? If you ever got desperate enough and the option existed for you, would you do it? I like the practical, real world hands on learning that is involved with the apprenticeship model, but then you really don't (necessarily) get the thorough, structured foundational knowledge that you'd get in law school. Right? Or does it seem like some scam? Some "easy, quick fix" that some people exploit to get out of working their asses off studying for three years? And does it really irk you knowing that sadly, at the end of the day, it all comes down to a test anyway? I'm genuinely curious.

Thoughts? :?:
:)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: "Reading Law"

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:57 pm

It's only allowed in a few states (maybe 4?), you will have to find someone who's willing actually to guide you through the process, and it's going to lead you to be looked down on by "real" lawyers. One of the first things I got told about one of the opposing counsel here is that they "read" the law instead of going to law school (and them being a hot mess was definitely attributed in part to that fact).

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:43 am

I've actually never heard of this. Seems like it would be easier to just go to law school. If cost is a problem, work hard on your LSAT and get a full ride to a law school (even if it's more of a regional school).

I'm not even recommending law school because I think the education is necessarily better. I think your ability to get a job and find jobs in the future would be better.

I can't say it bothers me that someone would do this. But if I saw their resume, I'd probably wonder why they didn't attend law school. That would lead to negative inferences in my mind.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:57 am

This seems like a really impractical way to become a lawyer for several reasons. First, it is only available in 5 states. Most of those states require you to apprentice with an attorney for as long or longer than it would take to go to law school, so you aren't really saving time (though you could be saving considerable $$). Additionally, I can imagine that it would be difficult to find an attorney that would let you apprentice with them. Going this path would also foreclose a bunch of career paths you might be interested in (i.e. biglaw, clerkships, etc.)

Overall, this seems like an antiquated, impractical, and generally poor way to become an attorney. It's easier to tread the common path of going to LS (and as lawman pointed out, you can try to crush the LSAT and go on a full ride if cost is an issue).

RedGiant

Bronze

Postby RedGiant » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 pm

azteacher wrote:I'm not a law student, but have (and still do) toy around with the idea of attending at some point. Possibly? I was just randomly Googling topics and came across "Reading Law," the idea that you can become an attorney without needing to spend $$$ to attend law school. I know this is a law school forum, which obviously has its own bias, but I'm curious, what are your thoughts about this process? I've been reading some websites which outline the pros and cons of taking this route, but want to know what you think? If you ever got desperate enough and the option existed for you, would you do it? I like the practical, real world hands on learning that is involved with the apprenticeship model, but then you really don't (necessarily) get the thorough, structured foundational knowledge that you'd get in law school. Right? Or does it seem like some scam? Some "easy, quick fix" that some people exploit to get out of working their asses off studying for three years? And does it really irk you knowing that sadly, at the end of the day, it all comes down to a test anyway? I'm genuinely curious.

Thoughts? :?:
:)

So, this is a thing in California. There was an article about it in the state bar magazine in 2012 or so. In the past decade plus, there have been about thirty people that tried, and only about three that succeeded. Those are pretty long odds. And all of them were longtime paralegals who were sponsored by their attorneys (who had endless patience to tutor them). Sure, you could go this route.

Please also consider how prestige-driven law is. Would you hire a lawyer that hadn't gone to law school, if you had a choice between that kid and one who did attend law school? I think that's your answer right there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�