"The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of."

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Interna8yonal

New

"The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of."

Postby Interna8yonal » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:08 pm

(Bumped my own thread, not sure which section is more appropriate. Mods?)
Last edited by Interna8yonal on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Gold

Re: "The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of."

Postby Br3v » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Interna8yonal wrote:(Bumped my own thread, not sure which section is more appropriate. Mods?)

Hi, name is Mike. I too am a law student.

So, I assume how this place works is I just throw a question into the web-uverse and wise people respond with world class opinions and guidance where if I just follow everything they say I become the happiest millionaire to every live?

My first semester I got one C+ and this crushed my inflated hopes and dreams. I cried just a little, mostly moaned throughout the day. Since my second semester though, it’s been all roses and cognac. I’ll challenge anyone to a battle of B+’s. I have an arsenal, and a few A's. Throughout the first 2 years of law school I picked courses from different areas, and now when asked in interviews I tell employers that I’m a generalist trying to learn and get as much as I can out of the law school experience. Problem is, I can’t figure out what I want to practice. One more year of law to go and I’m considering studying abroad in an international business LLM program.

Yes, this is another “should I pursue an LLM and if so in which field, because I screwed up my first semester of law school and I’m trying to make sense out of life and my legal career by partially escaping from this bullshit and partially trying to tell employers ‘hey look at me I can do ____ and _____ and I can even do _____.’”

Also, is there a law school job interview equivalent for "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse"?

Generally (always?) a LLM is not a good idea unless it is in tax. Even then, it's really only advisable if from NYU or maybe a few other schools with a top LLM tax program.

So you are a rising 3L? What school do you go to? How much debt do you have?

Interna8yonal

New

Postby Interna8yonal » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:21 pm

I am a rising 3L. I'd rather not share the school info, but it's a good school for those who wish to stay in the region. My debt is super low, which is one of the factors I took into consideration when I decided on this school.

twenty

Gold

Postby twenty » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:25 pm

My debt is super low

Then congratulations, you won. Start narrowing down to a couple of your favorite fields of law, gun for those as a 3L, see who in your region can hire you as a graduate.

TWIST: no one actually cares about your grades at this point.

thesealocust

Platinum

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:16 am

twenty wrote:TWIST: no one actually cares about your grades at this point.

This is very true. They won't be totally irrelevant, especially if you can use it to differentiate yourself from other candidates (interest in a particular field backed up by a good grade in a course taken in that field, etc.) - but overall GPA is primarily important for the small fraction of legal jobs that do hiring very early (big firms, etc.) and a few government positions.

So the good news is, you don't have to worry too much about your grades - either how they have been, or how they will be. The bad news is you'll have to do other things (network/hustle/mass-mail/whatever) in order to stand out and find a job.

This is a helpful guide on that front, though possible dated by now: https://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactic ... 0314176772

gregfootball2001

Bronze

Postby gregfootball2001 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Br3v wrote:Generally (always?) a LLM is not a good idea unless it is in tax. Even then, it's really only advisable if from NYU or maybe a few other schools with a top LLM tax program.

This is the credited response to your question regarding whether you should attend an LLM program.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?