45 minuet commute

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dancedance11

New

45 minuet commute

Postby dancedance11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:47 am

Hello everyone, I wanted to get a few opinions from those who will be commuting and are currently commuting for law school. From where I live my normal commute to law school would be 30 min mostly highway so maybe 25 on a good day, but I live at home with a very loud family, I also have the option to live in a second home we have but further from my school, about a 45 min commute each way, is it worth the added time to live by my self in a quiet environment with little to no distractions, unfortunately moving closer to the actual school is not in the budget right now so I was looking for some advise or opinions from those currently doing the commute or have done it there 1L year.

Thank you ! :D

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: 45 minuet commute

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:55 am

I prefer a 45 waltz commute personally, but minuet is fine too

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:00 am

But seriously, as someone who during 1L had both a very loud family and a 1 hour+ commute, the answer is "it depends on you," but I'd lean towards the shorter commute option because:

1. I am assuming by "very loud family" you mean siblings/parents and not "wife/kids", because moving away from the latter for law school would be kind of fucked up. You will have lots of time to get your law school shit done and to study, and can always do so on campus. I did most of my reading right before class or right after.

2. Overall the commute time difference here is pretty small, but saving yourself a half-hour of commute time each day adds up and is definitely a positive in favor of the short commute.

3. Do you have the option to live in both places free of charge? If cost is a consideration, I'd take the lower cost option because law school debt and living expenses for 3 years while not working kind of suck.

thesealocust

Platinum

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:14 am

Minimizing distractions as a 1L matters a LOT. There will be times when the average 1L is extremely stressed and, at least in my experience, maybe not the most fun person to be around. Being able to have sanity/privacy would be wonderful.

The commute itself would be a bit of a trek, but it might encourage you to carefully plan when and how long you'll spend studying each day, which could be a boon.

dancedance11

New

Postby dancedance11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:21 am

Thank you for your input!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:19 pm

I had a 45 min - 1 hr commute for law school and while it wasn't my favorite thing in the world and I was glad when it was over, it really wasn't a problem. If you can take public transport you can get some reading done, and if you can't, honestly sometimes it was really nice to have a chunk of time in which you couldn't be expected to work on anything except getting from place to place (I tended to put on music and have my own personal sing along, but that may just be me).

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:20 pm

thesealocust wrote:Minimizing distractions as a 1L matters a LOT. There will be times when the average 1L is extremely stressed and, at least in my experience, maybe not the most fun person to be around. Being able to have sanity/privacy would be wonderful.

The commute itself would be a bit of a trek, but it might encourage you to carefully plan when and how long you'll spend studying each day, which could be a boon.

(Rents roommate the bedroom; builds blanket fort on floor to sleep on)
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Postby Leprechaun » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:15 am

I've got a 43 mile each way commute 4 days a week to law school and quite frankly, the return trip home is my most peaceful time of the day. I like the commute as it gives me some "me" time. I work full time, have a wife and 2 kids, and take 10 to 12 hours a semester, so the commute (at least the one coming home, on the trip up I'm usually handling business calls) is a nice break from being busy.

What works for any particular person is going to be so highly personalized that I think you would be best served experimenting with all your different options and figuring out what works for you in whatever family dynamic you have and not try to mold into any of our routines or preferences.

You'll find as you go along and adapt, that you will be able to fit far more into your day and night than you initially think. Live whatever is the most normal life and routine to you that still works to get things done, and you'll be a happier, more productive, and a better human being to be around IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy law school, manage it and don't let it manage you.

Mike

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:40 am

Leprechaun wrote:I've got a 43 mile each way commute 4 days a week to law school and quite frankly, the return trip home is my most peaceful time of the day. I like the commute as it gives me some "me" time. I work full time, have a wife and 2 kids, and take 10 to 12 hours a semester, so the commute (at least the one coming home, on the trip up I'm usually handling business calls) is a nice break from being busy.

What works for any particular person is going to be so highly personalized that I think you would be best served experimenting with all your different options and figuring out what works for you in whatever family dynamic you have and not try to mold into any of our routines or preferences.

You'll find as you go along and adapt, that you will be able to fit far more into your day and night than you initially think. Live whatever is the most normal life and routine to you that still works to get things done, and you'll be a happier, more productive, and a better human being to be around IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy law school, manage it and don't let it manage you.

Mike

I like how you changed your username but still sign all your posts "Mike" at the bottom.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KFCfamousbowlz

New

Postby KFCfamousbowlz » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 am

Shorter commute, more time in the library/your study place on campus. That longer commute won't do anything good for you. Just make your campus time count.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Postby Leprechaun » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:04 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I like how you changed your username but still sign all your posts "Mike" at the bottom.

I have to distinguish which one of my multiple personalities made the post so I can admonish one of them if necessary in case they get out of line.

Mike

L_William_W

Bronze

Postby L_William_W » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:08 pm

I live in NYC and I wish my commute was only 45 minutes.

bobbypin

Bronze

Postby bobbypin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:54 pm

KFCfamousbowlz wrote:Shorter commute, more time in the library/your study place on campus. That longer commute won't do anything good for you. Just make your campus time count.

I agree. Live as close as you can. Spend your time studying in the library on campus.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Postby bsktbll28082 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:53 am

I traveled over and hr each way to school. Never studied in library. Lived alone in a quiet apt. It was great for me.

Depends on the cost of each place, if you like other people, if you like commuting, etc.

eternityblues

New

Postby eternityblues » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:35 am

I lived very close to campus. Wasn't a library studier. I liked the ability to sleep a little later in the mornings because my commute was only 15 minutes total and I require a good amount of sleep. Going home wasn't a hassle if I wanted to stay on campus for anything or work in the library (which was rare). I lived alone. Best decision I made was living close, but if it helps you or relaxes you to commute (it doesn't relax me at all), then go for it. I know people who did the hour or longer commute every day and had no issue with it - ultimately it's a personal choice imo. :)

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 am

I commuted about one hour each way to and from law school, and while I would absolutely recommend being as close as possible, if only so as to have more flexibility during the day, I found the routine of driving an hour immediately after the day was done somehow helped me remember what I learned.

Like, the idle time allowed my brain to file and catalog all I learned. I don't know how to explain it, but I could feel it, working in my subconscious, and since I was stuck essentially idle but awake for an hour, my mind used that time to organize.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�