Benefits of the Coif?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
omegaomega

New

Benefits of the Coif?

Postby omegaomega » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:37 am

Aside from putting it on your resume and web bio, what are the benefits of being a member of the Coif? As far as "prestige" goes, doesn't latin honor (i.e., magna cum laude) do the same thing?

Avian

Bronze

Re: Benefits of the Coif?

Postby Avian » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:46 pm

omegaomega wrote:Aside from putting it on your resume and web bio, what are the benefits of being a member of the Coif? As far as "prestige" goes, doesn't latin honor (i.e., magna cum laude) do the same thing?

Some schools cut off at different percentages for latin honors, so order of the coif can be an additional indicator of performance because I believe it's universally top 10%, e.g., magna cum laude is top 15%

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:23 pm

If you are at a school that doesn't rank its students (or doesn't permit its students to put their class ranks on their resumes), coif signals that you are in the top 10% of your class. Otherwise, there is no substantive benefit.

ihadadream

New

Postby ihadadream » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:32 am

omegaomega wrote:Aside from putting it on your resume and web bio, what are the benefits of being a member of the Coif? As far as "prestige" goes, doesn't latin honor (i.e., magna cum laude) do the same thing?

At my law school, absolutely nothing. There are no events or anything. We pay the fee to put it on our resume. However, I think it is a good investment for the price. Resumes count for a lot where legal employment, including clerkships, are concerned.

WinSome

New

Postby WinSome » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:38 am

Avian wrote:

Some schools cut off at different percentages for latin honors, so order of the coif can be an additional indicator of performance because I believe it's universally top 10%, e.g., magna cum laude is top 15%

Shit! Magna is 15% at your school. My school cut magna off at about 7%. Just to get cum laude you had to be like top 15-20%. I finished right outside coif and got cum laude. T1 for reference.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:50 am

ihadadream wrote:

At my law school, absolutely nothing. There are no events or anything. We pay the fee to put it on our resume. However, I think it is a good investment for the price. Resumes count for a lot where legal employment, including clerkships, are concerned.

There's a fee? I thought it was just something that happens. And how would there be school events since you don't know until after graduation

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:19 am

The actual coif you get afterwards in the mail though is pretty cool

it can mitigate puncture damage from most arrow attacks and bladed weaponry

Avian

Bronze

Postby Avian » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:18 pm

WinSome wrote:
Avian wrote:

Shit! Magna is 15% at your school. My school cut magna off at about 7%. Just to get cum laude you had to be like top 15-20%. I finished right outside coif and got cum laude. T1 for reference.

No, that was just an example. But your school is another example of why order of the coif might matter versus magna cum laude.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:The actual coif you get afterwards in the mail though is pretty cool

it can mitigate puncture damage from most arrow attacks and bladed weaponry

:lol:
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ihadadream

New

Postby ihadadream » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 pm

sublime wrote:
ihadadream wrote:

There's a fee? I thought it was just something that happens. And how would there be school events since you don't know until after graduation

They wrote us a formal letter offering membership. We had to pay a fee. I can't remember show much it was. It was certainly less than $100, though perhaps in the ballpark of $50.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�