Overextended? Law Review + Working + Classes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
yankees12345!

New

Overextended? Law Review + Working + Classes

Postby yankees12345! » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:24 am

Looking for some second opinions on my potential work load for next semester. I'm a rising 2L at a top regional school (UT/Vandy/UCLA).

First, I'll be taking a full course load. Second, I just accepted an offer to be on the main law review (minimum 120 hrs required). Third, I have previously arranged to work two days per week at a small firm.

Advice on whether this is taking on too much work? Anyone tried it previously? Thanks in advance.

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Re: Overextended? Law Review + Working + Classes

Postby Giddy-Up » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 am

I was an evening student - worked full time about 50 hours per week. I did Law Review, plus 11 credit hours law school + job and it was a grind but manageable. With respect to law review - you can get away with doing the minimum. You'll get some 3L bitching about it and they will most likely cc the EIC, but in the end you will get your credit and your resume line. For me, priority 1 was grades, very close 2nd was work performance and law review was at the bottom.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:24 am

You'll have plenty of time. Just stay focused. Good luck!

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:07 pm

How would they possibly track your hours? Are you clocking in/out? I was the managing editor for my school's LR and I probably only put in 50 hours over both years (not including hours spent writing my note).

Do all three... I did it and it worked out well. Experience was important to me, though.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:26 pm

tbh, i'd drop the small firm unless it somehow figures into your future employment.

if you're doing it just for spending cash or the resume line, i don't think it's worth it. does your school pay RAs?

ggocat

Gold

Postby ggocat » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:16 pm

It's doable. I had a similar schedule. Worse case scenario you find yourself completely overwhelmed and quit the small law job at a later time. You don't know you can't hack it until you try.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:26 pm

pancakes3 wrote:tbh, i'd drop the small firm unless it somehow figures into your future employment.

if you're doing it just for spending cash or the resume line, i don't think it's worth it. does your school pay RAs?

Drop the firm job if it's just for the money, as opposed to future employment possibilities. You hopefully have an SA coming up with LR from those schools.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Postby bsktbll28082 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 am

I think your schedule is doable, but only you truly know. I worked 20 hours a week, took a full load of classes, headed up two organizations, and volunteered my 3L year. Stressful at times, but at this point in my academic life, I knew I could balance. Granted, I did not graduate with a 4.0 GPA on that schedule- so know your priorities.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�