Not taking classes that are on the bar

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NoDayButToday

Silver

Not taking classes that are on the bar

Postby NoDayButToday » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm trying to figure out my schedule for next year and because of a spring clinic, only have the fall to take any other essential courses.

I've had evidence, and both adjudicatory and 4th & 5th Am crim pro., as well as all the usual 1L and upper level requirements--con law, admin, property, crim, torts, contracts, PR, civ pro. Pretty sure I want to also take fed courts.

I haven't taken business orgs / corporations, secured, family law, or T&E. I think there are also other subjects typically covered perhaps?

Anyway, my 1L advisor always told my advisee group not to take a class just because it was on the bar, and most courses sound individually learn-able in a bar prep course. But is it a mistake to not take any of those courses in particular or one I'm leaving out? I'm a PI/Gov't person with an interest in criminal justice reform, civil rights/impact litigation, and/or public defense.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: Not taking classes that are on the bar

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:04 pm

There were many (many) subjects that were on the bar that I could have taken classes for but did not (secured transactions, wills/trusts, criminal procedure, commercial paper). I passed by a large margin on my first try.

I personally thought that most of the subjects were pretty easy to teach myself during bar study - the one that I had the hardest time with was trusts and estates. However, I think almost everyone has as at least one subject that just doesn't "click" for them. For me that subject was trusts, but for many people its something like secured or commercial paper. You won't really know which (if any) subject is like this for you until bar study starts, at which time I think you can overcome any struggling with a bit of extra study.

justonemoregame

Silver

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:10 pm

It looks like you've got the MBE fully covered anyway, so I would take whatever interests you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Yeah, I didn't take any of the subjects you mention (also a government person). Learning for the bar was a pain, and my bar essays on those subjects sucked, but I still passed easily, and bar study sucks regardless. For me suffering through bar study was way better than suffering through a semester-long class (especially since I think I would have done poorly in those classes).

It is true that learning subjects I'd taken classes in was much easier than learning new ones. But it's also true that your bar course will teach you what you need to do to pass. I don't regret my choices.

bwh8813

Bronze

Postby bwh8813 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:For me suffering through bar study was way better than suffering through a semester-long class (especially since I think I would have done poorly in those classes).

This was my thought process as well. Now I'm sitting here teaching myself Evidence. I'm finding it to be more interesting than I thought, but I'm still glad I'm learning it this way rather than reading cases and sitting through 13 weeks of class.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Postby NoDayButToday » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Thank you all for your advice! This makes me feel loads better. I definitely agree if multiple courses are learnable during BarBri, I would much rather only have to cover the stuff over the duration of a few weeks than drawn out over a semester. Thank you again everyone for your thoughts!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 pm

In the middle of bar prep now. Subjects I took in law school are making for easier learning than subjects I didn't. So I think it helps. BUT it's by no means necessary, as evidenced by all the responses above. If there are classes you prefer and would enjoy, take those. If you have two classes that you truly feel exactly the same about, and one is generally a tested subject, then maybe consider preferring that one.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�