Dealing with small minded relatives Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Dealing with small minded relatives

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 13, 2016 12:59 am

Why do ppl on top law schools.com claim all this absurd extraneous knowledge about jobs like firefighting and janitorial and public school teachers

Just shut the fuck uppp already

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri May 13, 2016 2:00 am

mornincounselor wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:
If we are accounting for the costs of the respective degrees I don't think the statement is all that far off.
Wut? LOL @ being able to cop a big fire gig with a cheap degree these days. Just LOL.
If you are okay with a flyover district all it takes is a community clerkship. Not everyone wants that NYFD.
just fuck
Last edited by clshopeful on Fri May 13, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri May 13, 2016 2:03 am

Nekrowizard wrote:How is it possible not to have something to talk about with people you've known for decades, presumably? Half of my friends didn't graduate from high school, and I don't have a single close friend with a college degree even. Whenever I come home for a visit, we manage to bullshit about enough stuff without law or their "mundane lives" coming up. Maybe if you don't have any other topics of conversation with your family besides your/their life, you've got bigger problems in the relationship.
bit different with friends. I also have many friends with no degree, we never talk about career stuff. Older people/relatives always talk about that stuff.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri May 13, 2016 2:04 am

pancakes3 wrote:I don't mind YM. CLShopeful on the other hand is just full of cringy lulz, starting with the screen name.
says the guy who wrote ''pancake3'' in his username.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Fri May 13, 2016 5:05 am

Here's to hoping he has topical ointment for that burn

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 am

jbagelboy wrote:Why do ppl on top law schools.com claim all this absurd extraneous knowledge about jobs like firefighting and janitorial and public school teachers

Just shut the fuck uppp already
If my JD doesn't qualify me for or allow me to look down on every other profession what's even the point

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Fri May 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Last edited by Nekrowizard on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:36 pm

I learned only recently (I'm 30 - 35) that apparently my uncle (my dad's older brother) and aunt have resented my entire family (mom dad me older sister) for decades because my sister and I have advanced graduate education while both my parents have masters degrees. My aunt got a masters, and their kids well, had kids young and did not pursue advanced education (though my cousin has pursued it belatedly in life, which is good for him). I think the truth about who is the snooty asshole and who is an insecure prick falls in the middle. I've always viewed my cousins as white trash even before I understood what that word is (does "white trash" have an objective reality?). Whether my aunt and uncle's inferiority complex percolated into their relationship with my parents and us kids, whether my mom and dad did in fact look down their nose (not my dad, maybe my mom) and my sister and I picked it up too, and whether all of this tainted the kids' views of each other, I think the answer is yes to all in some degree.

All of life is Rudy. Either we're Rudy, or we're Rudy's brother, or we're Rudy's dad, its a never ending cycle of Rudy.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Tue May 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Rudy is a fucking stupid movie. Although I respect real life Rudy's ability to self-promote his fake life story into a movie.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:24 am

Winter is Coming wrote:Rudy is a fucking stupid movie. Although I respect real life Rudy's ability to self-promote his fake life story into a movie.
Everytime someone says Rudy, I immediately think of "Regular Size Rudy" on Bob's Burgers.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:33 am

The real question is: How do you deal with yourself when you're the small-minded relative/friend? Cause I'm definitely jealous of the jobs some of my friends have and I find myself hating on them in my thoughts from time to time. How do I fix this? Should I smirk at them in a condescending manner, brag about being up-and-coming lawyer, and tell them about how much money I'll make?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:44 am

lawman84 wrote:The real question is: How do you deal with yourself when you're the small-minded relative/friend? Cause I'm definitely jealous of the jobs some of my friends have and I find myself hating on them in my thoughts from time to time. How do I fix this? Should I smirk at them in a condescending manner, brag about being up-and-coming lawyer, and tell them about how much money I'll make?
Yes. And make it sound amazing, like how you'll be practicing "maritime constitutional law" or maybe even how you'll specialize in "bird law."

Hell, I'm jealous of anyone who doesn't have law school debt.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:The real question is: How do you deal with yourself when you're the small-minded relative/friend? Cause I'm definitely jealous of the jobs some of my friends have and I find myself hating on them in my thoughts from time to time. How do I fix this? Should I smirk at them in a condescending manner, brag about being up-and-coming lawyer, and tell them about how much money I'll make?
Yes. And make it sound amazing, like how you'll be practicing "maritime constitutional law" or maybe even how you'll specialize in "bird law."

Hell, I'm jealous of anyone who doesn't have law school debt.
Doesn't sound quite prestigious enough. I'll tell them that I plan to practice "Corporate Malfeasance Prosecution" and then use a bunch of legal words.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”