Sixth Amendment right to counsel Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
unclej

New

Sixth Amendment right to counsel

Post by unclej » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 pm

I am having trouble coming up with a test scenario where the sixth amendment right to counsel is tested.

I understand the fifth amendment Miranda stuff. Was it an interrogation, was the person free to leave, are there exceptions (like the emergency exception), and the result: statements admissible vs. inadmissible

I don't understand the sixth amendment at all. it says suspect has right to counsel. so what? how would that be tested?

sublime

Diamond

Re: Sixth Amendment right to counsel

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:32 pm

alphasteve

Diamond

Post by alphasteve » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:03 pm

unclej wrote:I am having trouble coming up with a test scenario where the sixth amendment right to counsel is tested.

I understand the fifth amendment Miranda stuff. Was it an interrogation, was the person free to leave, are there exceptions (like the emergency exception), and the result: statements admissible vs. inadmissible

I don't understand the sixth amendment at all. it says suspect has right to counsel. so what? how would that be tested?
Do you have a right to an attorney before submitting to a field sobriety test? What about after you are arrested and then asked to conduct a breathalizer? (i.e. when does the right attach?) That's one area, I think.

HLBE689

New

Post by HLBE689 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Common way you might see it is in a question regarding when/under what circumstances the right kicks in.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 pm

At one point does the Sixth Amendment right (versus the Fifth Amendment "right") kick in? If you're represented by counsel on one matter, can the cops question you about a different crime without implicating the Sixth Amendment versus Fifth Amendment? Can the cops/prosecutor -ever- speak to you without your attorney?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 pm

Another issue that is covered by a number of cases is what counts as elicitation by a law enforcement officer that requires an attorney to be present (generally requires deliberate elicitation, an intentional act by government from which it is reasonably foreseeable that defendant will give an incriminating statement). Also whether law enforcement can use a third party like a jailhouse plant to elicit information.

unclej

New

Post by unclej » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:02 pm

thanks for the info.

fifth amendment right to counsel is not offense-specific, when the suspect invokes his rights to an attorney, the police can't question him about anything. Sixth amendment right to counsel is offense-specific, meaning the police can question the suspect about unrelated crimes even after the suspect invokes his sixth amendment right to counsel.

so imagine suspect says "I will not answer any questions without an attorney."

how do I know which amendment right was invoked, his fifth amendment rights or his sixth amendment rights?

I read all the answers and I know this was addressed but it just seems to me the sixth amendment is redundant and unnecessary when the fifth amendment already includes right to counsel?

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 pm

unclej wrote:thanks for the info.

fifth amendment right to counsel is not offense-specific, when the suspect invokes his rights to an attorney, the police can't question him about anything. Sixth amendment right to counsel is offense-specific, meaning the police can question the suspect about unrelated crimes even after the suspect invokes his sixth amendment right to counsel.

how do I know which amendment right was invoked, his fifth amendment rights or his sixth amendment rights?

I read all the answers and I know this was addressed but it just seems to me the sixth amendment is redundant and unnecessary when the fifth amendment already includes right to counsel?
I think it's Massiah, but the question is 'attachment' and when the 6th amendment right to counsel attaches (answer: when you're arrested/charged). 5th amendment only provides the right to have counsel present, but not a right to be free of questioning without counsel or a right to have an attorney provided for you.

Figure out attachment; invocations before are 5th amendment, after is 6th.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:08 pm

unclej wrote:thanks for the info.

Remember that the Fifth Amendment actually has no right to counsel. It's provided as a prophylactic of the rights enumerated under the Fifth Amendment (i.e. to make sure the defendant doesn't incriminate himself). So, there may be instances where a defendant's Fifth Amendment rights are not violated, but his Sixth Amendment rights are.

The easiest example is a police arranged line-up. Merely standing in a line-up does not constitute self-incrimination, but it is a "critical stage in the proceeding," such that a defendant should have an attorney present.

Laser Lady

New

Post by Laser Lady » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:57 pm

In practice, at least in the federal courts, the Sixth Amendment right to counsel is one of the most frequently litigated issues. It's the most common basis for habeas challenges, since it's often easier to succeed on habeas review by arguing that your attorney was ineffective in failing to challenge XYZ than by arguing that XYZ themselves were fundamental errors requiring a new trial.

It's not just a right to have counsel -- it's the right to have the effective assistance of counsel, so it may be implicated where, e.g., defense counsel slept through the entire trial; defense counsel was having an affair with the key prosecution witness; defense counsel failed to conduct any kind of investigation whatsoever; etc. (The vast majority of these challenges will not be successful, but they are raised all the time.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”