Summer housing in DC? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bretby

Bronze

Summer housing in DC?

Post by bretby » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:47 pm

For DC people: Any tips on how to find summer housing in DC? What neighborhoods should I look at/avoid? About what should I expect to pay to live somewhere without roommates?

First Offense

Platinum

Re: Summer housing in DC?

Post by First Offense » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:25 pm

bretby wrote:For DC people: Any tips on how to find summer housing in DC? What neighborhoods should I look at/avoid? About what should I expect to pay to live somewhere without roommates?
You working gov or firm? Also whereabouts is the office?

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:48 pm

I'm a D.C. native. If you can provide us a bit more information about what you're looking for (proximity to public transit, approximate rent, etc.), I would be happy to help!

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Not op but do 3 bedroom apartments exist in DuPont/are they easy to find? How soon out would people suggest looking?

Also taking opinions on finding 4 bedroom houses w/ one of the rooms being a master bedroom

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:06 pm

doctoroflaw91 wrote:I'm a D.C. native. If you can provide us a bit more information about what you're looking for (proximity to public transit, approximate rent, etc.), I would be happy to help!
Working gov, office is near the White House and I would like to be reasonably close to public transit (no car but don't mind a walk). I do not care at all about whether a neighborhood is cool, only care that it is safe. I'm looking to not pay too too much, but am not sure what that is in DC - trying to get a sense of what is reasonable/possible. Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:16 pm

3br apartments are pretty rare in DuPont, but do exist. For a summer search, you won't want to limit yourself so narrowly.

There's some good value in upper Northwest (Woodley Park, Cleveland Park) - they're both metro accessible, extremely safe, and have some great restaurants and a few bars. You'll want to look in the older apartment buildings on and near Connecticut Avenue.

If you're willing to throw the affordability component out the window, university housing would be a simpler option. GW would be most convenient, but I'm not sure about the process.

Feel free to PM for more info

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Depends where you need to be. I think if it's just for the summer you should live in DC. Arlington, especially along the orange line, isn't much cheaper than what'd you get in the city. Eastern Market is a decent location/price. I'm also impartial to Gallery Place/Chinatown, there are some pretty affordable multi-room places there and it's a solid location.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:52 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Depends where you need to be. I think if it's just for the summer you should live in DC. Arlington, especially along the orange line, isn't much cheaper than what'd you get in the city. Eastern Market is a decent location/price. I'm also impartial to Gallery Place/Chinatown, there are some pretty affordable multi-room places there and it's a solid location.
I should clarify about price. I'm coming from NYC, so I was expecting to pay 1700+ for a 1br (less than NYC, but I know the DC market is also tight). Is this a safe estimate or is too low/high? I would, of course, prefer to pay less as I won't be making much $.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:55 pm

bretby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Depends where you need to be. I think if it's just for the summer you should live in DC. Arlington, especially along the orange line, isn't much cheaper than what'd you get in the city. Eastern Market is a decent location/price. I'm also impartial to Gallery Place/Chinatown, there are some pretty affordable multi-room places there and it's a solid location.
I should clarify about price. I'm coming from NYC, so I was expecting to pay 1700+ for a 1br (less than NYC, but I know the DC market is also tight). Is this a safe estimate or is too low/high? I would, of course, prefer to pay less as I won't be making much $.
If you want to pay less, you can easily find $1200-1500 rooms in a 2-bedroom, that are nice and in a decent location. I don't know much about one bedrooms though. Craigslist is honestly pretty solid in DC, at least in my opinion.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missie

New

Post by missie » Mon May 30, 2016 11:52 pm

bretby wrote:For DC people: Any tips on how to find summer housing in DC? What neighborhoods should I look at/avoid? About what should I expect to pay to live somewhere without roommates?
Hey I'm looking to sublet my beautiful, sunny one bedroom apartment on Capitol Hill, right behind the Senate building from July 1 - first week of August with some flexibility (potential earlier move in). If you're still looking let me know! It's a great deal at $1800

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”