Which bar do I take? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lhanvt13

Gold

Which bar do I take?

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:27 pm

going to DC for lit. likely gonna move with SO in 2 years to new city for when SO starts bschool. Possible destinations are in the bay area, boston, philly, and chicago. I'm leaning toward Cali b/c patent lit, but don't know if I should take another bar that has better reciprocity.

So, in sum:
- Patent lit
- DC
- likely to move in 2 years
- likely destinations: Bay Area, Boston, Philly, Chi, and low chance of NYC
- Don't necessarily need to continue lit, and prob would prefer to switch to transactional for dat in-house possibility, but I realize i need to do that early in my career before that door closes.
- Also, don't necessarily need to continue being an attorney - maybe try for consulting/banking gig

1. Which bar do you recommend?
2. Is it difficult to take a second bar while practicing?
3. Anything else I should be considering or should know about, that I'm not asking?
4. Help?

Not sure if correct forum. Move to appropriate if needed. thx

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Re: Which bar do I take?

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:33 pm

California has the hardest bar of the bunch, so to the extent that you have a once-in-a-lifetime situation where you get to just study for the bar full time (Im assuming you're a 3L?) -- if California is a possibility, I'd try to smash that out now. The others are all much easier to do while also practicing (which isn't to say they're easy, but relatively speaking I mean).

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Get CA done. You can pass Mass if you woke up the morning of the test without studying so do that when you're slow at work

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Cool cool. Thanks for the responses. That was my thinking.

NoLongerALurker wrote:California has the hardest bar of the bunch, so to the extent that you have a once-in-a-lifetime situation where you get to just study for the bar full time (Im assuming you're a 3L?) -- if California is a possibility, I'd try to smash that out now. The others are all much easier to do while also practicing (which isn't to say they're easy, but relatively speaking I mean).
Yep, 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”