compliment from a professor? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
p00persc00per

New

compliment from a professor?

Post by p00persc00per » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Just got first semester grades, actually turned out pretty nicely. I was surprised to get a legitimate compliment and was told congratulations several times from a professor on one of my grades, I think it might've been the highest in the class. Is this normal or should I be super honored?

cheaptilts

Silver

Re: compliment from a professor?

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:38 pm

I would rate this post as 2/10

are you asking TLS to tell you how to feel?

p00persc00per

New

Post by p00persc00per » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

cheaptilts wrote:I would rate this post as 2/10

are you asking TLS to tell you how to feel?
yes

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:43 pm

It's very normal to get a congratulations from a professor if you receive an A, so it's not something you should feel super honored about, but you should feel like a medium level of honor about it. If it was a legal writing class or Torts, maybe a very low level because those classes are notoriously easy, but if it was Civil Procedure I would probably feel a high level of honor and tell my parents

contracts is a toss up. depends on the school. idk just my 2 cents. but i would say it's safe to probably feel a medium level of honor

p00persc00per

New

Post by p00persc00per » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:52 pm

haha okay. thank you - I will walk away from this forum with a proud medium level of honor. you're kind for replying to this - I would've given it a 0/10

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:54 pm

In all likelihood, your professor knows the importance 1L grades have and how competitive these curves are. He is probably congratulating you the same way someone would compliment you on getting a job or you'd complement your sibling on graduating from college. It doesn't mean they're enamored by your genius, think you'll make the best lawyer in the class or even like you. There's a tendency to think you have a special connection with a professor that gave you the best grade as though it's your boss promoting you. The reality is you just had a good exam.

You could game the curve by taking more classes with that professor, because the way you take test clearly vibes with their grading rubric. As a result of this, there's a very high floor on how badly you can do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”