Buying older casebook: Conlaw, Brest 5th vs. 6th Ed Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hellojd

Bronze

Buying older casebook: Conlaw, Brest 5th vs. 6th Ed

Post by hellojd » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Any thoughts on this, and are there huge differences between the two? For some reason I can't find cheap, used 6th editions, and people are willing to give me the 5th ed for basically free.

Important caveat: I'm a 3L and don't care much about anything, but conlaw seems somewhat interesting and I don't want to do a lot of extra work in finding cases, etc.

patfeeney

Bronze

Re: Buying older casebook: Conlaw, Brest 5th vs. 6th Ed

Post by patfeeney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:03 pm

hellojd wrote:Any thoughts on this, and are there huge differences between the two? For some reason I can't find cheap, used 6th editions, and people are willing to give me the 5th ed for basically free.

Important caveat: I'm a 3L and don't care much about anything, but conlaw seems somewhat interesting and I don't want to do a lot of extra work in finding cases, etc.
With that particular textbook, just note that almost all of the cases are edited down. If there's a case in the 6th edition that's not in the 5th, you'll have to either scan it or print off a Westlaw copy and guess what parts you don't have to read.

hellojd

Bronze

Re: Buying older casebook: Conlaw, Brest 5th vs. 6th Ed

Post by hellojd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:10 pm

Got it, thank you! Bought the new ed

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”