Taking a class with a visiting professor Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
adil91

Silver

Taking a class with a visiting professor

Post by adil91 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:12 pm

So I learned a couple of days ago that a class that I thought I was taking with a full time professor will now be taught by a visiting professor. This guy is a national pundit and does some pretty interesting work but I don't know anything about him as a professor. There's another professor teaching the same class, he's been at the school for a while and he's a great scholar in the field but I've heard bad things about his teaching methods and style. Should I go ahead and roll the dice with the visiting professor or should I take the class with the established full time professor? I'm a 1L and the class is Con Law 1.

BVest

Platinum

Re: Taking a class with a visiting professor

Post by BVest » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:08 pm

adil91 wrote:So I learned a couple of days ago that a class that I thought I was taking with a full time professor will now be taught by a visiting professor. This guy is a national pundit and does some pretty interesting work but I don't know anything about him as a professor. There's another professor teaching the same class, he's been at the school for a while and he's a great scholar in the field but I've heard bad things about his teaching methods and style. Should I go ahead and roll the dice with the visiting professor or should I take the class with the established full time professor? I'm a 1L and the class is Con Law 1.
So it's a choice between a shitty full prof or a possibly shitty, possibly great, possibly neutral visiting prof?
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:13 pm

BVest wrote:
adil91 wrote:So I learned a couple of days ago that a class that I thought I was taking with a full time professor will now be taught by a visiting professor. This guy is a national pundit and does some pretty interesting work but I don't know anything about him as a professor. There's another professor teaching the same class, he's been at the school for a while and he's a great scholar in the field but I've heard bad things about his teaching methods and style. Should I go ahead and roll the dice with the visiting professor or should I take the class with the established full time professor? I'm a 1L and the class is Con Law 1.
So it's a choice between a shitty full prof or a possibly shitty, possibly great, possibly neutral visiting prof?
Basically

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:18 pm

adil91 wrote:
BVest wrote:
Basically
Glad we could help.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:24 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
adil91 wrote:
BVest wrote:
Basically
Glad we could help.
Well it may seem like a simple and easy decision but the longtime full professor probably has a ton of past exams available plus there will be 2Ls and 3Ls with outlines for his class while the visiting professor will probably have few or no past exams and there won't be any 2Ls or 3Ls with outlines for his class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mlw128

New

Post by mlw128 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:51 am

Visiting faculty teacher i found are better than the permanent.

lawschool32324

New

Post by lawschool32324 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:54 am

I'm assuming you go to Vandy. I highly recommend the visiting professor, con law with the full time professor was terrible for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”