Renting Textbooks from Amazon

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ned Racine

New

Renting Textbooks from Amazon

Postby Ned Racine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Can anyone who has rented textbooks from Amazon tell me how strict they are about "no excessive writing or highlighting"? Their rental price is about a third of the price to rent from my campus bookstore, but I don't really want to worry all semester about whether Amazon is going to take my book back if I highlight just slightly too much. I've heard my campus bookstore will take rental books back in basically any condition. Thanks.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Renting Textbooks from Amazon

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Just don't highlight...

xael

Platinum

Postby xael » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:32 pm

They don't give a shit. I've received books still in the shrink wrap and sent them back basically unusable and still been credited.

girlrunning

New

Postby girlrunning » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:39 am

I've always highlighted mine a lot and never been charged. I've also written a few things on the margins (not book briefed though) and that's also been okay. This last semester I was worried because a paperback book spine and a few pages became loose (to be fair, it had seen better days when I got it) and thought they would for sure charge me and they did not.

I honestly hadn't realized people had hesitations about highlighting or using the books regularly until last semester when a 1L mentioned it in passing.

TLDR: Just use the books like a normal person.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Postby stoopkid13 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:13 am

I write a decent amount in the margins and have never had a book returned. But even if they do return one eventually I figure I'll just sell it as a used book.

I think the only big issues are missing pages, damaged covers, and water damage. I'm actually kinda surprised girlrunning got away with missing pages but kudos to her.

hdunlop

Bronze

Postby hdunlop » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:04 am

Based on a couple of books they shipped out as long as it's not worse than your average ransom note you're fine.

girlrunning

New

Postby girlrunning » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:27 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:I write a decent amount in the margins and have never had a book returned. But even if they do return one eventually I figure I'll just sell it as a used book.

I think the only big issues are missing pages, damaged covers, and water damage. I'm actually kinda surprised girlrunning got away with missing pages but kudos to her.

I should clarify that no pages were missing. Just loose binding and two pages barely hanging on.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Postby Supercalifragilistic » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Clearly wrote:Just don't highlight...

+1

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:21 pm

xael wrote:They don't give a shit. I've received books still in the shrink wrap and sent them back basically unusable and still been credited.

2nd. I fuck mine up.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:26 pm

I used chegg. The rules allowed high lighting but not writing.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

xael

Platinum

Postby xael » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I used chegg. The rules allowed high lighting but not writing.

I am shocked just shocked that something called "chegg" doesn't allow high lighting

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�