What can I do now? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jci007

New

What can I do now?

Post by jci007 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I could do to prepare for law school and a career in law as an incoming freshman for my undergraduate career?
A little background: I was accepted into University of Rochester and was thinking about majoring in economics and pairing it with something else (suggestions?). I was wondering if anyone here could suggest what I could do now to prepare for law school as well as what would be most useful to major in.
Thank you!

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: What can I do now?

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:58 pm

jci007 wrote:I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I could do to prepare for law school and a career in law as an incoming freshman for my undergraduate career?
A little background: I was accepted into University of Rochester and was thinking about majoring in economics and pairing it with something else (suggestions?). I was wondering if anyone here could suggest what I could do now to prepare for law school as well as what would be most useful to major in.
Thank you!
Get a 4.0...also...get off tls

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Majors don't matter. Pick something that will give you the highest GPA possible.

However, the most useful class that I took in undergrad was Logic, which I feel really helped me prepare for the LSAT. But other than that, just focus on getting a 4.0.

stig2014

Bronze

Post by stig2014 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Econ major will be fine. A philosophy minor specializing in formal logic could be helpful for the LSAT, but you wouldn't have to minor in philosophy to understand basic logic. Focus on getting as high a GPA as possible, get some real life work experience in a field that interests you, and hopefully allows you to save some money, and then if you still are interested in law school take the LSAT.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:02 pm

You should start training to be a megapoaster early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:52 am

Philosophy is good not just for the training in logic, but also for gaining experience writing about nuanced subject matter. Being comfortable writing about ambiguity will prove helpful come law school exam time.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:37 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Philosophy is good not just for the training in logic, but also for gaining experience writing about nuanced subject matter. Being comfortable writing about ambiguity will prove helpful come law school exam time.
lmfao

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:38 am

major in something not retarded like psychology, so that if u change your mind in 5 years u can do something other than flip burgers or make pumkin spice lates

EE, CC, petroleum engineering, accounting, etc etc etc

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:15 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Philosophy is good not just for the training in logic, but also for gaining experience writing about nuanced subject matter. Being comfortable writing about ambiguity will prove helpful come law school exam time.
lmfao
He's not wrong. And philosophy majors score the highest ok the LSAT. There are other reasons not to major in philosophy but that doesn't make this statement ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:48 am

I'd recommend any freshman in undergrad without a "DREAM JOB OR BUST" mentality to major in some type of engineering. That's where all the jobs and demand is. That, or finance.

If your heart is set on being a scientist, do that.

Other majors just aren't worth the time and money unless that is your sole passion in life.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Journalists also do really well in law school.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:29 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
lmfao
He's not wrong. And philosophy majors score the highest ok the LSAT. There are other reasons not to major in philosophy but that doesn't make this statement ridiculous.
Correlation != causation

If u want to hone your logic skills or wtv major in fkin math, or again any hard science

Also don't pick a major bc u think it'll help u pass law school classes. Law school classes are a fukin joke any reasonably studious high schooler could understand that shit. I took 100 level classes in college that were harder

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”