delete Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mootness

New

delete

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:11 pm

delete
Last edited by mootness on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Does "backstabbing" or deliberately sabotaging your classmates happen at your ls?

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:16 pm

No, I think it's less the school and more the type of people you're hanging around with. Protip: avoid sociopath gunners.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Does "backstabbing" or deliberately sabotaging your classmates happen at your ls?

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:39 pm

I think you should probably tone down the competitiveness yourself there, OP

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:42 pm

I see nothing wrong with being competitive, as long as you don't go out of your way to screw someone over. In fact, if you wanna be a lawyer, you prob should be competitive.

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:47 pm

mootness wrote: I would consider not giving out my notes
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:50 pm

lol seriously, why should I? I mean if someone's sick or busy a few times, then sure i'll help. but if it's a pattern where they don't attend class and rely on others to supply them, then i'm not helping sorry!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Nah, jealously guarding notes to maintain your perceived competitive advantage is pretty sucky and lolworthy behavior IMO

Eta: I mean yeah of course I wouldn't work as a professional note taking service for free either. I don't think anyone would.

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:52 pm

lol learn to read, seriously bro. i said i would consider not giving out notes. i didn't say, "i would never give out notes". it really depends on circumstances re: why someone needs my notes and how often they ask.

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:55 pm

I thought about this stuff during 1L a decent amount. But how you end up doing relative to everyone else seems to be so random that there is no point in hurting relationships you might have developed with others to protect some perceived advantage. Just trust yourself and chill, giving someone else your notes isn't going to hurt you, particularly if they aren't even going to class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:57 pm

yeah i know. i just want to clarify what i meant when i said, "i would consider not doing something (i.e. giving out notes)". this just means that there are circumstances under which i would say no, not that i would always or usually say no.
Last edited by mootness on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:58 pm

mootness wrote:lol learn to read, seriously bro. i said i would consider not giving out notes. i didn't say, "i would never give out notes". it really depends on circumstances re: why someone needs my notes and how often they ask.
We read it, and we understood it. You would consider not giving out notes in an effort to compete (fairly). Message received loud and clear there gunner. And all I'm saying is that's too gunnery. Glass houses, etc.

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:
mootness wrote:lol learn to read, seriously bro. i said i would consider not giving out notes. i didn't say, "i would never give out notes". it really depends on circumstances re: why someone needs my notes and how often they ask.
We read it, and we understood it. You would consider not giving out notes in an effort to compete (fairly). Message received loud and clear there gunner. And all I'm saying is that's too gunnery. Glass houses, etc.
nope, sweetie, never said anything about withholding notes for the purpose of competing.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:04 pm

mootness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
nope, sweetie, never said anything about withholding notes for the purpose of competing.
I mean, yeah, you did. Unless the not giving out notes thing was a total non-sequitur. But that would be weird.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:05 pm

This thread has significant gem potential, keep up the good work.

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:
mootness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
I mean, yeah, you did. Unless the not giving out notes thing was a total non-sequitur. But that would be weird.
Did you miss this post where I said, "I mean if someone's sick or busy a few times, then sure i'll help. but if it's a pattern where they don't attend class and rely on others to supply them, then i'm not helping sorry!"?

Any reasonable person would interpret the above as not wanting to enable irresponsibility and laziness.

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:07 pm

ymmv wrote:This thread has significant gem potential, keep up the good work.
BigZuck is basically looking for any way to pick a argument. His life must be interesting.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm

OP just keep a fake set of notes with errors at all times to give out to slackers who selfishly try to mooch off of you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm

mootness wrote:
BigZuck is basically looking for any way to pick a argument. His life must be interesting.
Lol. You did bring up notes directly after talking about competing fairly.

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Companion Cube wrote:OP just keep a fake set of notes with errors at all times to give out to slackers who selfishly try to mooch off of you
Lmao that's exactly what I wouldn't do. I'd want to give someone my best notes possible so they don't come blame me if I made a mistake.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:12 pm

mootness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
mootness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Did you miss this post where I said, "I mean if someone's sick or busy a few times, then sure i'll help. but if it's a pattern where they don't attend class and rely on others to supply them, then i'm not helping sorry!"?

Any reasonable person would interpret the above as not wanting to enable irresponsibility and laziness.
Trying to protect classmates from their own irresponsible and lazy nature is weirdly paternalistic.

Law school is basically a three year extended vacation punctuated by a few weeks of work here and there. Let them cook.

I'm not trying to pick an E-fight, I'm telling you to remove the beam from your own eye broham

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
mootness wrote:
Lol. You did bring up notes directly after talking about competing fairly.
Because i wanted to talk about the people who were sending out bad notes deliberately.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:
mootness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
mootness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Trying to protect classmates from their own irresponsible and lazy nature is weirdly paternalistic.

Law school is basically a three year extended vacation punctuated by a few weeks of work here and there. Let them cook.

I'm not trying to pick an E-fight, I'm telling you to remove the beam from your own eye broham
IDK, where you go this idea that I want to "protect" others. Not wanting to enable =/= protect. Protect is where I sit them down over coffee and give a life lecture, and receive disdain and contempt for my efforts. Enable is where I don't help them.

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:17 pm

mootness wrote:
IDK, where you go this idea that I want to "protect" others. Not wanting to enable =/= protect. Protect is where I sit them down over coffee and give a life lecture, and receive disdain and contempt for my efforts. Enable is where I don't help them.
Annnddd, jumped the shark?

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:19 pm

I'll give you guys an analogy: if I wanted to protect an alcoholic from their self-inflicted harm, I'd force them to go to a rehabilitation center or join AA. If I didn't want to enable, I wouldn't supply them alcohol.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:22 pm

mootness wrote:I'll give you guys an analogy: if I wanted to protect an alcoholic from their self-inflicted harm, I'd force them to go to a rehabilitation center or join AA. If I didn't want to enable, I wouldn't supply them alcohol.
If your classmates are alcoholics there's a hotline for that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”