Quotes from Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby panda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 pm

LOVE my civ pro professor.

Prof: I will entertain some questions right now, but like I said I am in a rush today, so if there isn't something burning and extremely relevant, wait till after class

Gunner: Well, it might not be completely relevant but..

Class laughs, Prof chuckles and says: But you're going to ask anyway..

*continues with question relating civ pro to contracts.. *

Prof: Don't bring Contracts into this! I HATE contracts! Offer, acceptance, i don't know what.. Maybe it's because i was taught Contracts by Antonin Scalia.. that might have something to do with it! I didn't learn a thing from him!!

Class is roaring with laughter at this point..

Prof to Gunner: And you were right, it was irrelevant.. *continues with lesson..*

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby como » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Hey now, 'gunner' hasn't been bad this semester at all.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby panda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm

como wrote:Hey now, 'gunner' hasn't been bad this semester at all.


haha. i figured you would come on here too. i know! and "gunner" handled it with much stride.. but you can't say the moniker isn't accurate..

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby como » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:48 am

panda wrote:
como wrote:Hey now, 'gunner' hasn't been bad this semester at all.


haha. i figured you would come on here too. i know! and "gunner" handled it with much stride.. but you can't say the moniker isn't accurate..


I personally like the quote from property today better:

[Talking about a defendant who built a wall that encroached on a neighbor's property by 1 3/8"]

Professor: "Sometimes money can't make up for that 1 3/8 of an inch"

There are rarely 'that's what she said' moments as good as that.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Old-grandfatherly-Canadian-Justice-Torts Teacher: "There's basically 2 kinds of intent. You can be intentionally shooting your gun (he's miming the action) at a range and someone walks into your shots, or you can be shooting your gun, yelling "Die bitch!", and when you shoot her, that would be the other kind of intent."

Contracts teacher discussing Alaska Packers Case dealing with modification said, "I actually have a picture of the packers from the case if you guys want to see?" [class says yea sure] he clicks his computer and T-Pain's IM ON A BOAT with andy sandberg starts playin- watched the video before starting the case. Awesome :D

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Inygma » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 pm

arhmcpo wrote:Old-grandfatherly-Canadian-Justice-Torts Teacher: "There's basically 2 kinds of intent. You can be intentionally shooting your gun (he's miming the action) at a range and someone walks into your shots, or you can be shooting your gun, yelling "Die bitch!", and when you shoot her, that would be the other kind of intent."

Contracts teacher discussing Alaska Packers Case dealing with modification said, "I actually have a picture of the packers from the case if you guys want to see?" [class says yea sure] he clicks his computer and T-Pain's IM ON A BOAT with andy sandberg starts playin- watched the video before starting the case. Awesome :D


Epic Win Professor!!

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 pm

lishi wrote:
"I sure hope you don't think I'm sniffing because I just snorted some cocaine before class"


hahah that one made me laugh at loud. I couldn't ever imagine a teacher saying that lol.


I loved that one and the "my goat is drunk" one hahahahaha. Made my evening.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Civ Pro Professor talking about Intervention the other day. A student's last name was Cox that he had just talked to. He calls on a new student and says this:

"You saw me messing with Cox, playing with Cox, and then you just have to step in because you want a part of that action! What do you do?"

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Rocky Estoppel wrote:Civ Pro Professor talking about Intervention the other day. A student's last name was Cox that he had just talked to. He calls on a new student and says this:

"You saw me messing with Cox, playing with Cox, and then you just have to step in because you want a part of that action! What do you do?"


OMG HAHAHA did everyone bust out laughing? Please tell me the prof realized the joke...

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:Civ Pro Professor talking about Intervention the other day. A student's last name was Cox that he had just talked to. He calls on a new student and says this:

"You saw me messing with Cox, playing with Cox, and then you just have to step in because you want a part of that action! What do you do?"


OMG HAHAHA did everyone bust out laughing? Please tell me the prof realized the joke...


I don't think the Professor realized what he was saying. :lol:

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Rocky Estoppel wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:Civ Pro Professor talking about Intervention the other day. A student's last name was Cox that he had just talked to. He calls on a new student and says this:

"You saw me messing with Cox, playing with Cox, and then you just have to step in because you want a part of that action! What do you do?"


OMG HAHAHA did everyone bust out laughing? Please tell me the prof realized the joke...


I don't think the Professor realized what he was saying. :lol:


Not even that "oh crap, I just realized what I said" moment? Because those are the BEST.

User avatar
The Dan
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby The Dan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:51 pm

I sat in on Judge Lynch's criminal law class during Columbia's admitted student days and heard this gem:

"Vampires, warewolves, marines, badasses of whatever sort coming at you. You've gotta shoot to kill."
(He was talking about self-defense as justification for intentional homicide)

Philaw
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Philaw » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:04 am

You know, after hearing all the doom and gloom about the prospects of an up-and-coming law student, you all have breathed new life into law school for me. I no longer see dusty tomes and my eyelids weighted with high debt and a bleak outlook for actual employement.....well, ok, I still see that, but at least I get to be entertained for my 40k a year! This thread is, in the TLS lexicon, "epic!"

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Inygma » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Philaw wrote:You know, after hearing all the doom and gloom about the prospects of an up-and-coming law student, you all have breathed new life into law school for me. I no longer see dusty tomes and my eyelids weighted with high debt and a bleak outlook for actual employement.....well, ok, I still see that, but at least I get to be entertained for my 40k a year! This thread is, in the TLS lexicon, "epic!"


There ya go! Approach law school as a very expensive comedy club!

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby nontradintexas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:08 pm

A few gems from Civ Pro:

"Sometimes the free market needs to be corrected, like when everybody went broke the other day and we had a bailout."

"There's not much law in Arizona."

Prof: What is the York Outcome Determinative Test, Ms. xxxxx?
Student: I'm sorry, could you repeat the question? I was working on my memo.
Prof: Well you should have let me know, I would have left you alone.

Later, discussing legal writing - "You'll learn on the job how to write a brief. You learn on the job from people who actually know how to do this stuff."

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby superserial » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:00 pm

"don't fight the hypo."

lietx3
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby lietx3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:03 pm

more.... NEED more...

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm

lietx3 wrote:more.... NEED more...

You think this shit grows on trees?

User avatar
stonepeep
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby stonepeep » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:39 pm

My torts professor wrote "cvnt not to sue" on the board.

My section is very immature. It's great!

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby macattaq » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Talking about the Rule Against Perpetuities:

Professor: "So what I like to do is kill everyone off. B is childless."
Classmate: "You mean A?"
Professor: "No, I don't make mistakes. I meant A and B. In fact, A and B are having a hot and heavy affair. Both are childless, B gets pregnant. Dies in childbirth. No, wait, ok, so B gives birth, walks outside gets struck by a bus. No, wait. Ok, B gives birth and is then struck by lightning. Its like that movie that went straight to DVD, where everyone dies."
Classmate: "2012?"
Professor: "Right, 2012. Everyone dies, except for a few people, because there has to be someone left to own the property."
Me: *Update FB status to LOLWTF?*

User avatar
annapavlova
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby annapavlova » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

First day of Torts with super important and kind of scary professor:

Prof: "So *Anna*, why didn't the court believe they did not recklessly disregard the potential danger to land entrants?
Me: Uh..well..there was a sign, but it was obscured and very rusty...and the fence was broken...
Prof: But what was the OBVIOUS sign?
Me: Uh, they didn't make any effort to rebuild the fence........?
PROF: OR it could have been the fact that THREE people DIED?!
Me: Yep. That would do it.

LOL - oops for forgetting how to pay attention to material facts in my casebook during a month of Christmas break.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby apper123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Crim law professor is in the middle of posing a hypo to a student.

A cell phone is LOUDLY ringing in the class and everyone is nervously looking around to see who it is. Prof stops talking and squints and looks around the room.

Prof: "Oh shit."
*takes phone out of pocket*
"It's my phone! Uhh..."
*tries to silence it but it keeps ringing*
*answers phone*
Prof: "Hey I'm in class I'll have to call you back."
*class laughs hysterically*
"That was President Obama. He was calling to offer me the seat on the Supreme Court, but he'll just have to wait for me to call him back later. I'm busy right now."

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm

The Dan wrote:I sat in on Judge Lynch's criminal law class during Columbia's admitted student days and heard this gem:

"Vampires, warewolves, marines, badasses of whatever sort coming at you. You've gotta shoot to kill."
(He was talking about self-defense as justification for intentional homicide)

See Bluebook rule 1.5 for help in constructing an effective parenthetical. The shouldn't be obvious.

/bluebook douche

User avatar
The Dan
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby The Dan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
The Dan wrote:I sat in on Judge Lynch's criminal law class during Columbia's admitted student days and heard this gem:

"Vampires, warewolves, marines, badasses of whatever sort coming at you. You've gotta shoot to kill."
(He was talking about self-defense as justification for intentional homicide)

See Bluebook rule 1.5 for help in constructing an effective parenthetical. The shouldn't be obvious.

/bluebook douche


Since I'm still an 0L, I reserve the right to ignore any and all bluebook guidelines.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby como » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:15 am

The Dan wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
The Dan wrote:I sat in on Judge Lynch's criminal law class during Columbia's admitted student days and heard this gem:

"Vampires, warewolves, marines, badasses of whatever sort coming at you. You've gotta shoot to kill."
(He was talking about self-defense as justification for intentional homicide)

See Bluebook rule 1.5 for help in constructing an effective parenthetical. The shouldn't be obvious.

/bluebook douche


Since I'm still an 0L, I reserve the right to ignore any and all bluebook guidelines.


As a 1L, I also reserve the right to ignore and and all bluebook rules when posting on an internet forum.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: electriklemon, mazatec, WeekendWarrior and 8 guests