Quotes from Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby sophie316 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:43 pm

'So what happened in Black & White Taxi Co. v. Brown & Yellow Taxi Co? Other than a Southern race war'

User avatar
PSLaplace
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby PSLaplace » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:23 am

"Back when I was law school, we had two semesters of contracts. Now we squeeze it all into one semester to give you guys time to take more important classes like Law and the Horse."
-K professor complaining about not having time to teach "interesting" things like assignment of options.

User avatar
Starr124
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Starr124 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:45 pm

This happened to me some time ago...

We were talking about the Terry case and the professor asked me what the officer said so I answered him saying "the officer said blahblahblah"

I go to a law school in California, but I'm originally from Boston. So I guess I got a bit of an accent going on...

Because the professor looked at me and said "The OFFICAH said what?" Class laughed, I died a little inside.

.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby James Bond » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 am

Not law school but UG:

Very Respected, Intelligent, Professional, Poli Sci Chair: Universally wrong? But that there are nations, such as the Netherlands, that allow drug use. You know, pot, absinthe, shrooms...

Student: No, they recently banned shrooms. Some lady on them jumped off a building.

Professor: Must have been a bad trip...

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby nealric » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:25 am

absinthe


Asbinthe is actually legal in the US now. It turns out there is no scientific basis for the claims that it causes hallucinations- it's just alcohol. The wormwood stuff is such a tiny quantity that it doesn't do anything.

You could by some if you like: http://www.originalabsinthe.com/

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby apper123 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:07 am

"A canister vacuum cleaner is not meant to be ridden in a naked situation." - Torts Prof referring to the LaRue case where a kid had his penis severed while riding a vacuum cleaner naked.

User avatar
JPeavy44
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby JPeavy44 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:27 pm

"The timorous may stay at home" - Cardozo

User avatar
Pizon
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:53 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Pizon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:02 am

Professor asked which group of people would not like foreigners working in the US during the 1800s. Someone said, "White supremicists," and professor replied: "That's right. But back then, they were called Americans."

When a student asked how much power the Supreme Court really has, professor responded: "There has to be a limit, right? I mean, they couldn't just decide they wanted to make someone of their choosing presiden....wait, bad example."

Someone wrote in his legal writing paper: "The plaintiff serviced the defendant in Cleveland." Professor wrote the sentence on the board and said, "I know what he meant, but that just sounds unconstitutional."

Professor was comparing investing to dating and said, "Joe Investor has his eyes on Lola Company. Let's say he's in it for the long run. He's not just looking for a quick buck." Everyone laughed. Professor said, "I said BUCK. Okay, let me rephrase that. He's not in it for the pump and dump."

User avatar
Brawndo
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Brawndo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:22 pm

10/10 Topic, would read to grandchildren

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby panda » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Pizon wrote:Professor asked which group of people would not like foreigners working in the US during the 1800s. Someone said, "White supremicists," and professor replied: "That's right. But back then, they were called Americans."

When a student asked how much power the Supreme Court really has, professor responded: "There has to be a limit, right? I mean, they couldn't just decide they wanted to make someone of their choosing presiden....wait, bad example."

Someone wrote in his legal writing paper: "The plaintiff serviced the defendant in Cleveland." Professor wrote the sentence on the board and said, "I know what he meant, but that just sounds unconstitutional."

Professor was comparing investing to dating and said, "Joe Investor has his eyes on Lola Company. Let's say he's in it for the long run. He's not just looking for a quick buck." Everyone laughed. Professor said, "I said BUCK. Okay, let me rephrase that. He's not in it for the pump and dump."



these are wonderful..

i keep forgetting all the funny stuff that happens in class

PrudenceNeverLied
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby PrudenceNeverLied » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:02 pm

Torts prof: "Some people are just too stupid for you to convince them that you're right. If you can't convince the other party that they're wrong, usually they win."

User avatar
fongandrew
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby fongandrew » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:49 pm

A man, a package
Push, bang, the scales are falling
Poor Helen Palsgraf.

-- My Torts professor reading a haiku about Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad

User avatar
fongandrew
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby fongandrew » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Can't remember the exact quote, but this was the rough sequence of events

* Professor gets confused about who's suing whom
* Class laughs
* Professor cold calls someone
* "That'll teach you guys to laugh at me"

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby 06072010 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:59 am

fongandrew wrote:Can't remember the exact quote, but this was the rough sequence of events

* Professor gets confused about who's suing whom
* Class laughs
* Professor cold calls someone
* "That'll teach you guys to laugh at me"


mwahahahaa

User avatar
IHeartNewYork
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby IHeartNewYork » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:10 pm

fongandrew wrote:A man, a package
Push, bang, the scales are falling
Poor Helen Palsgraf.

-- My Torts professor reading a haiku about Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad


Awesome.


My torts prof mentioned the movie 'The Paper Chase' in class the other day, and then, jokingly: “So, is anyone sleeping with one of my daughters?” (I guess this happens in the movie, I’ve never seen it). Then he continues: “It’s okay, they’re all legal!” :shock:

He was kidding of course and it was pretty funny, but it was so awkward…

sillysassafrass
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:22 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby sillysassafrass » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:04 pm

My professor has a bad back or something.

One day came in saying "Man, I am hurting, I had a massage the other day..."
Student says "and it wasn't a happy ending?"
Class laughs...professor laughs and responds
"no, definately not happy"...

I actually think this professor (Torts) says something funny all the time...I have to remember to list them out...

sperry
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby sperry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:20 am

Professor was explaining to us how only poor people go on cruises and that's why a forum selection clause for Florida would be unfair.

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Mulliganstew » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:24 am

sperry wrote:Professor was explaining to us how only poor people go on cruises and that's why a forum selection clause for Florida would be unfair.


... I like cruises.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby panda » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:01 pm

my Civ Pro prof. constantly refers to Congress as "sleeping dogs"..

and my Torts professor called us all "special snowflakes"

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Snooker » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Civ Pro prof, on how the Supreme Court solves difficult problems:

"You dig down really deep... and you make something up!"

In Contracts class:

Professor: now for a Battle of the Forms hypothetical

1 student, quietly: battle!

10 students raise their fists: BATTLE!

<professor flexes in best heman pose>: BATTLE!!!!

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby macattaq » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Snooker wrote:Civ Pro prof, on how the Supreme Court solves difficult problems:

"You dig down really deep... and you make something up!"

In Contracts class:

Professor: now for a Battle of the Forms hypothetical

1 student, quietly: battle!

10 students raise their fists: BATTLE!

<professor flexes in best heman pose>: BATTLE!!!!


That is freaking epic!

sperry
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby sperry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:
sperry wrote:Professor was explaining to us how only poor people go on cruises and that's why a forum selection clause for Florida would be unfair.


... I like cruises.



Well,, from what I learned in law school, it's safe to say you're poor.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:32 am

macattaq wrote:
Snooker wrote:Civ Pro prof, on how the Supreme Court solves difficult problems:

"You dig down really deep... and you make something up!"

In Contracts class:

Professor: now for a Battle of the Forms hypothetical

1 student, quietly: battle!

10 students raise their fists: BATTLE!

<professor flexes in best heman pose>: BATTLE!!!!


That is freaking epic!


Agreed. That's really fucking funny haha

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby Corsair » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:58 am

..

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:53 am

sophie316 wrote:'So what happened in Black & White Taxi Co. v. Brown & Yellow Taxi Co? Other than a Southern race war'


Made me think of this:

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Gunner19, logical seasoning, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests