Quotes from Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nmoor1501

Re: Quotes from Law School

Postby nmoor1501 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:32 am

"You can't have manslaughter without laughter."

I don't get it tho...

Learning Hand

Postby Learning Hand » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:34 am

nmoor1501 wrote:"You can't have manslaughter without laughter."

I don't get it tho...

:lol:

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:12 pm

lolol you are going to have to know the facts of Mas. v. Perry for this one but:

In CivPro today we are reviewing this case, and the professor says, "It seems the landlord in the case was taking care of some do-it-yourself work in the closet."

Silence for about 3 seconds in class while everyone waited to get it followed by minutes of laughter.

JMD.USMC

Postby JMD.USMC » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 pm

student: "The defendant had a marijuana farm"
Prof: "was it really a farm?"
student: "The case said it was 243 marijuana plants."
Prof: "Well, you know some people are just really good with space."

gregw8705

Postby gregw8705 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 pm

presh wrote:From a case: "No one ever screams, 'Watch out, he's got a rope'"

CrimLaw Prof talking about taking torts as a student: "He would start to talk and then my head would hit the desk. But it was okay because back then I had hair and it cushioned the blow."

Discussion about whether states could make drunk driving a strict liability offense:

Professor - "But this is a public policy decision! What if 40,000 people die every year because of drunk driving?"
Student - "But how many people are injured every year by a curling iron while drunk? Are we going to make that strict liability?"

Haha, we're in the same Criminal Law class, obviously.

Tehpokerstar

Postby Tehpokerstar » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 am

^^ That must be weird to find a classmate through TLS.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:53 am

This conversation convinced me not to go to Georgetown.

All I can say is I've never heard any conversation of the sort in my 4.5 semesters here.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 am

nealric wrote:

This conversation convinced me not to go to Georgetown.

All I can say is I've never heard any conversation of the sort in my 4.5 semesters here.

It was probably just a bad day for her and bad luck for me that I sat in on that particular class. But it ruined my love for GULC. That's for sure.

panda

Postby panda » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Bgiv wrote:
apper123 wrote:
In our CivPro class the other day, a student emailed the section "Friday Bingo" for class with a bingo card for things the professor would say. At one point, the professor announced we'd be taking a 5 minute break soon. A student in the back of class yelled, "BINGO!!!!!" really, really loud.

Professor: "What? What are you talking about?"

Student: "uhh. I'm just really excited about the break"

LMAO, picturing this nearly had me in tears

+1 ..
i can't stop laughing..hahaa..
i am just picturing this in my civpro class..woah..that would be classic..

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:56 pm

panda wrote:
Bgiv wrote:
apper123 wrote:
In our CivPro class the other day, a student emailed the section "Friday Bingo" for class with a bingo card for things the professor would say. At one point, the professor announced we'd be taking a 5 minute break soon. A student in the back of class yelled, "BINGO!!!!!" really, really loud.

Professor: "What? What are you talking about?"

Student: "uhh. I'm just really excited about the break"

LMAO, picturing this nearly had me in tears

+1 ..
i can't stop laughing..hahaa..
i am just picturing this in my civpro class..woah..that would be classic..

Friday Bingo<<<<<<Gunner Bingo

presh

Postby presh » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaneLocke

Postby RaneLocke » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Towards the beginning of the semester with our Professor who is renowned for "fake shooting" people who give the wrong answer. First he "shot" someone, and then someone else tried to answer his question and he interrupted her to say

"I'm just going to shoot myself so I don't have to listen to the rest of this answer."

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Professor: "Where do you look to find the duration of the statute of limitations for adverse possession?"
Gunner: "In the statute."
Professor (in a fatherly tone): "You go look and see if you can find the timeframe in the statute tonight and let me know tomorrow."
Gunner: "Ok."
Professor: "If Gunner can't find it, where do you look?"
Student: "Wikipedia"
*Entire class busts up*
Professor, now sitting holding his side: "That's a new one. My two sons think that's a pretty good source ... do you know what legal malpractice is?"
*Entire class busts up again*
Gunner: "I FOUND IT!"
Me: *slow clap*

sillysassafrass

Postby sillysassafrass » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:25 am

My torts professor (who happens to be an IP guy) handed out a problem today that was like an example of something that would be on the final exam. And then he said "Take a few moments before you answer any of the exam questions to think the question through and make a brief outline of your thoughts. Do not attempt to 'Leeroy Jenkins' the Exam."

For those of you who don't know what that means ( I did not) it is a world of warcraft deal....check you tube...

haha....

apper123

Postby apper123 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:15 am

sillysassafrass wrote:My torts professor (who happens to be an IP guy) handed out a problem today that was like an example of something that would be on the final exam. And then he said "Take a few moments before you answer any of the exam questions to think the question through and make a brief outline of your thoughts. Do not attempt to 'Leeroy Jenkins' the Exam."

For those of you who don't know what that means ( I did not) it is a world of warcraft deal....check you tube...

haha....

i would have lol'd so hard and outed myself as a nerd at that very moment

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Prof. (Reading from a British case) "Appellant, aged 8, and his uncle, aged ten…"
(Looks up) "This could have happened in Arkansas!"

gregw8705

Postby gregw8705 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:34 am

This one requires a little back story, but is one of my favorite law school moments ever.

My Torts professor has been using the example of "widgets" to explain various products liability issues like market-share liability, policy reasons for class action suits, etc., and we recently were discussing proximate cause. He was talking about the varying degrees of foreseeability and proximate cause like exploding widgets or customer misuse of the widget, and then offered the example that came to mind when he thought about a widget injury that might not be foreseeable

"I always envision Christian Bale running with a widget then throwing it at someone."

Hilarious and epic movie reference.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 am

gregw8705 wrote:This one requires a little back story, but is one of my favorite law school moments ever.

My Torts professor has been using the example of "widgets" to explain various products liability issues like market-share liability, policy reasons for class action suits, etc., and we recently were discussing proximate cause. He was talking about the varying degrees of foreseeability and proximate cause like exploding widgets or customer misuse of the widget, and then offered the example that came to mind when he thought about a widget injury that might not be foreseeable

"I always envision Christian Bale running with a widget then throwing it at someone."

Wouldn't that be battery? How is it not foreseeable?

BLi

Postby BLi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:45 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
gregw8705 wrote:This one requires a little back story, but is one of my favorite law school moments ever.

not foreseeable for the widget company to have to pay for the damages of it.

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:37 am

BLi wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

not foreseeable for the widget company to have to pay for the damages of it.

But, he owns the company... I can't see him not foreseeing someone suing him because he left a batarang in someone's eye.

Learning Hand

Postby Learning Hand » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Con Law Prawf wrote:Formalism is like the "F" word in Constitutional Law. If you dislike someone, you call them a formalist. It's the equivalent of telling them to perform an anatomically difficult act upon themselves. Some people revel in being a formalist. I have formalist in my family, and they are open formalists. I'm not sure if they are that way because of a domineering father or a smothering mother, but they are there. They are everywhere.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Student -->
How is whether a person is driving drunk relevant to whether he was driving negligently?

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Student -->
How is whether a person is driving drunk relevant to whether he was driving negligently?

This happened in Michigan? Wow. That's kind of sad.

sillysassafrass

Postby sillysassafrass » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:16 am

Okay, same teach that made the leroy jenkins statement...(who is constantly stating funny things...) was making a hypothetical on joint and several liability. He used an example in class where one person had all the money, and then the student next to them had no money. Later he changed his mind and said "everyone in the class sue X, he's rich". The student looked confused, so prof said "you're wearing a polo shirt, and it has a popped collar"....hehe...

torts class is definately the most entertaining...I could put a quote on here every day...

funkblaster

Postby funkblaster » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 am

"You don't want to let a case go to a jury. Those people drive pick-up trucks!"

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”