Quotes from Law School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bronte

Gold

Re: Quotes from Law School

Post by Bronte » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
sknight323 wrote:Torts prof: "If you guys won a settlement, I don't know what you would use it for. Like, bungee jumping, and sex tourism, probably."

Other prof: (talking about Getting to Maybe) "Yeah, all that IRAC and CREAC is real great...except, I prefer you get to the fucking answer."
Does getting to maybe teach you to write in IRAC effectivly?
Getting to Maybe criticizes IRAC. And CREAC does "get to the fucking answer"--the conclusion is the first sentence.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Torts prof: now what we have here is a great big box of duty!

Property prof: now just imagine these are polite, well-mannered KKK members that help little old ladies and orphans.

Contracts prof, talking about the barren cow case: my business is problem pregnancy cows.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:18 am

vanwinkle wrote:This thread hasn't seen any action for a while. Maybe the brand-new 1Ls can breathe some new life into it.

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 am

Background: case about old woman sleeping and 15 year old boy having sex with her; talking about actus reus

Prof: What has to happen for her to get off?

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Torts Prof: "1928 was an important year. Does anyone know why?"
Students: ... Finally someone raises their hand.
Prof: "Okay, why was 1928 important?"
Student: "You were born...?"
"Dude, you really shouldn't rely on blind grading that much, sometimes I cheat!"

Torts Prof. "I flunked out of rabbinical school. So I know some stuff about some stuff."

Torts again: Student is in the middle of being cold called and semi-freaking out (third day of class), his phone starts ringing loudly. He starts stumbling to silence the phone while continuing to answer the question.
Prof: "I bet if you were outside in the hallway, you would have silenced that phone in one second. Gotta love torts stress."

Crim Prof: "I know this is your favorite class- in the first week I gave you rape, murder, and cannibalism."

Crim again: "So, what did the court say about his previous interactions with this woman?"
Student: "He had sex with her in a whore house in Detroit, twice."
Prof: Laughing uncontrollably and blushing.... "Sorry, I spent all summer locked up with my kids watching PBS."

Legal Writing Prof: "I assigned you this book because I think it is a really good model for writing memos. But don't write memos the way it tells you to, it's wrong."

Another Legal Writing gem: "If I was dictator of the world, I'd burn all the Bluebooks. As it is, I just try to pretend it doesn't exist."

I had dinner at my Ks profs house with a few other students. Her husband walked in.
Ks profs husband: I'm glad you got to meet me before you took her for family law. In that class, I am the abusive, alcoholic husband and dead beat dad."
Ks prof: "Yeah, one time we were at a conference and a former student met him at the bar. When he introduced himself, the student said 'Hey, I know you. You're an asshole and I hate you.'

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawhaus

New

Post by lawhaus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:51 pm

student: (discussing fontainebleau) there is no legal right to light and air
professor: what do you mean by that? I can put a paper bag over your head and that's okay?

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 am

1L here....

[discussing Alaska Packers Assn. v Domenico]
Prof. : Does anyone know why this case was in federal court?
[Prof explains fed. jurisdiction over Admiralty law]
gunner: Well I was thinking in terms of salmon since they swim upstream sometimes across state lines.

:roll:

idk

New

Post by idk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:19 am

"In the end, you will be able to reward yourself for your toils with two letters: J.D."
Last edited by idk on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Last year, our Con Law professor (who is about 90) was discussing Wickard and every time he said wheat he emphasized the H, just like in the Family Guy episode/wheat thins commercial. It was hilarious. I kind of miss 1L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Contracts prof on 1L first semester finals: "It's like bugs hitting the windshield of a car on the freeway. And you are not the windshield."

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 pm

CivPro prof: "There's this procedure of preparing a witness for a deposition, called woodshedding. And British lawyers think it's crazy, completely unethical. And I say, 'you look stupid in your wigs.'"

Same prof: "The only way I can figure that the second amendment has anything to do with individual gun ownership is if you assume the framers had ADD. They start off the sentence talking about state militaries...'a well-regulated militia being neccessary,' get distracted--SQUIRREL!--and totally change topics, 'right of the people to keep and bear arms."
(whether you agree or not, you gotta like a Pixar/UP! reference.)

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 pm

From one of my summer class profs, whom my section named Professor Sassypants:

"I think they've said for sentences in their entire career that I agree with." (On Scalia and Alito)

"I could show you a menage a trois...three people GETTIN' IN ON...because there's no law against it."

"They got Nick Nolte to play Jefferson, and it was like being on crack."

"It was like a marxist day care center!"

"Jefferson would say, 'well, first of all, this is why Marshall is an asshole, and I've been telling you this all along.'"

Classmate: That's like in Dred Scott...
Prof. Sassypants: NOPE. NOPE. JUST NOPE.

"I have to wonder why Holmes is such a whiney little bitch. It’s like, dude. You’re a SCOTUS justice. You have a wife that loves you. You have the physicality of a horse. YOU GOT SHOT THREE TIMES, CUT OFF YOUR OWN FOOT, AND STILL LIVED TO 94! Give it a break, dude!"

"Thayer can justify it, but it's still a really chicken shit move."

"It’s like, 'I don’t have time for this! I don’t want to have a conversation about racism! It’s wrong! I’m gonna go for lunch, fuck off!' Hugo Black and I had that in common. and then they have “dirty movie day” at the SCOTUS. every other thursday. they’d go down in a basement."

"It's a badge of honor. Like...the number of women you've slept with. A three martini lunch. You know. Good stuff that a man's man does."

Classmate: It was because of the free love movement, right?
Prof. Sassypants: ...those were good times. *wistful expression*

"Yeah, I guess we'll do that exam thing tomorrow. I remember what you said about Prof. [other prof]'s exam, and I decided that I wanted to be him when I grow up. So gird your loins."

And last but not least:
"I cannot overemphasize how much I do not care about your opinions."

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Civ pro prof going over Insurance co of north america v s/s hellenic challenger:

"And then the claims adjuster did something that probably got him fired: he lost it. Well, I guess that has a double meaning; what I meant is that he lost the summons and complaint."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Civ pro prof: "I remember when I went through law school. I don't know how you people can stand this."

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 am

Torts Prof this morning: "You're on the highway of life man! You get run over and hurt too bad"

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:46 am

Last year I had a prof. in an American Legal history class say the following when he was discussing Jefferson and his relationship with his slaves..."let's just say if you went to Monticello you woud have seen a bunch of mullato kids running around who looked an awful lot like Thomas Jefferson."

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:24 pm

not funny but the greatest thing every from my con law prof
Be demanding about your legal educations. Ask for much and expect much. And at the same time, try to hold on to the fact that legal education is a privilege. Whatwe do with that is the true test of who we are? I'm not saying that all of you should go out and be povery lawyers, but use this education to go and do something that you love to do. Somewhere in the
mix here, I hope you find something you love. ...so enjoy, and have a nice life.
and a funny from by crim prof (a DA)
Sometimes it gets complicated, when multiple parties are involved in a complex
offence. I did a murder... I hope you know what I mean when I say things like that... *laughter* I
prosecuted a murder.
Last edited by serdog on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:26 pm

CivPro prof: "People have been asking me about the exam...is it open book? You can bring in anything except Professor [other CivPro guy]. Outlines, commercial outlines, hornbooks, religious objects... Because let's be honest. If it could actually help you, do you think I'd really let you do it?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”