Dog in law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawiswhack

Dog in law school

Postby lawiswhack » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I am a rising 2L and would like to get a dog. Is this possible as a law student? By possible I mean will I be able to adequately care for a puppy and train it etc while studying and maintaining a social life? Thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks.

runinthefront

Re: Dog in law school

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:44 pm

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... chools.com

this topic has been thoroughly discussed

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:07 pm

I wouldn't honestly. I have a dog in law school, but I had her for 7 years before too, training a puppy is a serious process and I wouldn't do it, even as a 2L.

inchipwetrust

Postby inchipwetrust » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:39 pm

lawiswhack wrote:I am a rising 2L and would like to get a dog. Is this possible as a law student? By possible I mean will I be able to adequately care for a puppy and train it etc while studying and maintaining a social life? Thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks.

I'm a rising 2L and got a pup before law school. I think it depends how big/what kind, where you're in school (city or rural area), do you have a significant other that could help out when you're busy, do you live alone, is there any dog parks or open areas around? Also think about financially. That's what hit me hardest when I first got my pup. Vet appointments at first can be around $150 every visit because puppies need so many shots and what not, then factor in food/toys/etc. Puppies are hard to train, but I'll tell you first hand there are few things better after a long day, or any day for that matter, than to have your dog meet you at the door happy as ever. Be real with yourself though, its unfair to the dog if he's to sit in a cage for 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week.

FluffMonster

Postby FluffMonster » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:52 pm

I got my dog as a puppy about a year and a half before law school. Managing my schedule last year during 1L was fine. First semester was a bit rough, because I had to go back in the middle of the day to walk her, but second semester my classes were more condensed.

I don't imagine it will be that much of a problem in the next two years, but I'm starting to worry about her quality of life when I'm in biglaw. Someone mentioned finances--remember you'll probably have to bring her to doggy daycare or hire a dog walker post-LS (think 20-30 dollars/day). That is a lot of money in the long run. And even then, his/her life will not be that great if you are never around. This is especially true if you get a puppy, because it will only be 2-3 years old and full of energy while you're working 10 hours a day. If you get a dog, I highly recommend getting a dog that is at least 1-2 years old. But tcr is to wait until after LS--so you can make a more informed and realistic decision based on your schedule.

lauren_K

Postby lauren_K » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:01 am

I started my 1L year with a three month old golden retriever. My classmates thought I was crazy, and I guess it was. It is difficult by manageable. I had to constantly plan my day around when I could go home and take care of him, give him exercise and the attention he deserves. Yes, I think it will impact your social life, it definitely did mine my first year. After a study session or class my friends would ask to go out to eat, but I always had to get home to my dog.

ALso, you would have to think about training him during school which would be VERY difficult, especially if it will be a puppy and will need to be potty trained. I first got my dog about two months before school started and for the first month I had to CONSTANTLY watch him. Im talking take him out every 15 minutes (if not, he would have an accident) and constantly monitor what he got into. I even woke up 2-3 times a night to take him out. I think getting a puppy this young during school is not possible, since you cant possible be home enough for what a puppy requires.

Lucky for me my dog was pretty well trained by the time I started classes. But still, he is a MAJOR commitment. It was worth it for me but it definitely made my first year (and Im assuming the rest of law school) much more difficult than it had to be. But yes, it will definitely impact your social life (I am a very social person yet my first year of school I known as a more quiet person just because I was very rarely able to go out and socialize because I needed to take care of my pup). And having a puppy will definitely impact your studying. You cant just sit down and study for 4 hours straight. They will be bored or have to go to the bathroom and will start chewing/getting into trouble. You have to be very flexible with your study schedule if you're getting a puppy. Also, I know its an added expense but I send my to doggy day camp once a week. They have a student discount and he loves it. Its great to drop him off at 7am and not pick him up until 5pm. Those days I can stay at school all day and study without interruption, not to mention he is exhausted for the rest of the night we get home and well into the next day. I would definitely recommend looking into day camp if you do decide to get a dog. Not to mention it is great socialization and training for your pup.

Overall, yes I think its possible to have a puppy during law school, but would I recommend it? probably not, just because I know how difficult it is and you have to be truly committed to take on the challenge and give your dog the life it deserves.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:54 pm

lauren_K wrote:I started my 1L year with a three month old golden retriever. My classmates thought I was crazy, and I guess it was. It is difficult by manageable. I had to constantly plan my day around when I could go home and take care of him, give him exercise and the attention he deserves. Yes, I think it will impact your social life, it definitely did mine my first year. After a study session or class my friends would ask to go out to eat, but I always had to get home to my dog.

ALso, you would have to think about training him during school which would be VERY difficult, especially if it will be a puppy and will need to be potty trained. I first got my dog about two months before school started and for the first month I had to CONSTANTLY watch him. Im talking take him out every 15 minutes (if not, he would have an accident) and constantly monitor what he got into. I even woke up 2-3 times a night to take him out. I think getting a puppy this young during school is not possible, since you cant possible be home enough for what a puppy requires.

Lucky for me my dog was pretty well trained by the time I started classes. But still, he is a MAJOR commitment. It was worth it for me but it definitely made my first year (and Im assuming the rest of law school) much more difficult than it had to be. But yes, it will definitely impact your social life (I am a very social person yet my first year of school I known as a more quiet person just because I was very rarely able to go out and socialize because I needed to take care of my pup). And having a puppy will definitely impact your studying. You cant just sit down and study for 4 hours straight. They will be bored or have to go to the bathroom and will start chewing/getting into trouble. You have to be very flexible with your study schedule if you're getting a puppy. Also, I know its an added expense but I send my to doggy day camp once a week. They have a student discount and he loves it. Its great to drop him off at 7am and not pick him up until 5pm. Those days I can stay at school all day and study without interruption, not to mention he is exhausted for the rest of the night we get home and well into the next day. I would definitely recommend looking into day camp if you do decide to get a dog. Not to mention it is great socialization and training for your pup.

Overall, yes I think its possible to have a puppy during law school, but would I recommend it? probably not, just because I know how difficult it is and you have to be truly committed to take on the challenge and give your dog the life it deserves.

Well said

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Completely unrelated to whether or not you should have a dog in law school, please consider getting an older dog. The puppies at shelters have no problem getting adopted, but older dogs can stay at shelters for years.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:10 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

logical seasoning

Postby logical seasoning » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Students have a ton of free time and even more time where they can move stuff around for a puppy. It's probably the perfect time to have a puppy.

Agreed. There will never a perfect time to get a dog-- there will always be some good excuse not to (new job, kids, not large enough apartment, etc.) For me, this quote rings true "once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one is a life diminished,"

However, don't get a puppy during 1L. Between making friends, studying, joining a some type of org, staying in shape, and finding enough time to sleep, you will not have enough time to give a puppy the love it deserves, which could result in a ill-behaved dog with separation anxiety later on in life.

There is a lot to be gained by just waiting 1 year for 2L.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Honestly, our whole life trajectory is pretty bad for dogs. So you get a dog as a 2L and its 4 when you have to spend 70 hours a week in a firm. Dog walkers aren't cheap, and thats not a great life for a dog anyway. Firms are mostly centered in urban locations, we have to work more hours than we are home, law school is rough on dogs too, etc. That said, I love my dog to death, and am happy I found ways of making it work thus far in law school, and I'm sure I'll figure something out if I don't end up homeless after OCI too.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”