Below Median at NYU/Columbia: A Non-NYC Strategy...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Below Median at NYU/Columbia: A Non-NYC Strategy...

Postby FrozenBananaStand » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Hey all,

Here's the gist: I'm below-median at NYU/Columbia. My grades are mix of B and B+. I won't have any debt at graduation.

I know the conventional wisdom for firm interviews in my spot is to bid heavily NYC, but that's not an option for me. I have strong ties to a small secondary market and will be going back there after school regardless of what comes (or doesn't come) of OCI.

Should I be doing anything aside from mass mailing/networking to increase my chances? If I strike out at OCI is it credited to drop out (I have decent, but mostly legal, work experience and a humanities undergraduate degree).

Thanks, hive.

Re: Below Median at NYU/Columbia: A Non-NYC Strategy...

Postby banjo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:01 am

Two things to think about:

-Do you HAVE to be in that secondary market immediately after graduation? Plenty of people start out in a major market and lateral back home with some experience. If you can start out in NYC for a couple years, bid both NYC firms and your secondary market.

-Even if you HAVE to be in that market after graduation and you strike out, I don't think dropping out is necessary, especially since you won't have debt. There are lots of smaller firms and employers that don't bother to do OCI. You should continue your job search into your 2L/3L years. If you're thinking twice about being a lawyer, that's a different story.

Re: Below Median at NYU/Columbia: A Non-NYC Strategy...

Postby iamgeorgebush » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:35 am

why is it not an option to start in NYC for a couple years before lateraling? you're going to be in NYC for the next two years; what more could two more hurt? seems to me like the CR option is to bid a mix of non-selective NYC firms and firms in your preferred market.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”