Anyone here get into their JD/MBA program?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
buddhabelly

Anyone here get into their JD/MBA program?

Postby buddhabelly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:59 am

Rising 2L, my school has a great B-school and offers a 4-year JD/MBA program. I have limited work ex (internships in big companies, but not actual employment), my undergrad grades are meh and my LS grades are above median but not great. I think I could swing a good GMAT score this summer, but ordinarily I would have no chance at getting into the MBA program here. Wondering if the admissions standards for JD/MBAs are more lax and if it's worth me taking the GMAT and applying. All anecdotal evidence is welcome.

californiauser

Re: Anyone here get into their JD/MBA program?

Postby californiauser » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:51 pm

If your school has a "great" MBA program, it's unlikely that you'll get in with 0 work experience. Why do you want an MBA?

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:45 pm

californiauser wrote:If your school has a "great" MBA program, it's unlikely that you'll get in with 0 work experience.

In fairness, a lot of MBA programs (even top MBA programs) will overlook the fact you have zero work experience if you're spending the additional two years in law school to get the JD part.

As a rising 2L, yes, it will probably be easier to get into your school's MBA program than it would be from the outside. This has no, repeat, NO bearing on whether or not you should actually do this thing.

buddhabelly

Postby buddhabelly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Last edited by buddhabelly on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:29 am

californiauser wrote:If your school has a "great" MBA program, it's unlikely that you'll get in with 0 work experience. Why do you want an MBA?

times have changed man

Cornell doesn't have a "great" MBA program relative to its peer group, but it's still a strong b-school and waives the GMAT requirement for law students ("something something, we know the law school has done our work for us! something something give me ur monie$$$") . . . and I know a few K-JDs going through. Median or above (and a willingness to add to your debtload) seems to be the ticket

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:17 am

I had a pretty typical MBA profile and applied to joint programs before 1L, my impression of most people in our program (M7 MBA) is that they have what would normally be a competitive profile regardless of being a law student. Obviously your undergrad grades won't be an issue, so if you don't have work experience you'll probably want to really show commitment to the things MBA programs look for by way of internships, business law association involvement or other demonstrated leadership. I talked for a while to the program director at another M7 program I was considering to get an idea of student profiles and he said law school grades aren't really important for students applying as law students since they know they have the academic qualifications to succeed in the classroom.

KMart

Postby KMart » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:23 am

twenty wrote:As a rising 2L, yes, it will probably be easier to get into your school's MBA program than it would be from the outside. This has no, repeat, NO bearing on whether or not you should actually do this thing.

They want that cha-ching.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”