Rising 2L: drop out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
anonymousey

Rising 2L: drop out?

Postby anonymousey » Sun May 31, 2015 4:35 pm

1st semester GPA: 2.63
2nd semester GPA: 2.77
Cumulative GPA: 2.69

Curve is around low 3.0's.

Rising 2L at T-40s. This semester, I did decently in all of my major courses (B/B+ all around) except for Torts (a C; a possible fluke... I felt the MOST prepared for this class). Last semester, I somehow managed to get C+’s in two of my main substantive courses. This semester I feel better about staying in the middle of our class (sans Torts) when comparing to the previous semester, but I’m now reconsidering whether to continue.

Purely conjectural, but I believe I can receive at a maximum of B's in my future classes, however, just like most if not all law schools, we’re on a forced curve. My suspicion though is that it's already too late and the damage to my GPA has already been done and pulling it up would require A’s and B+, something I may not be able to manage.

Additional facts:
- Loans are currently being used. ~30k/year cost of attendance.
- I have a decent summer externship right now that looks good on paper.
- Am I enjoying myself? No. But then again I hear it gets easier/“better" as a 2-3L. Based on what I’ve seen and experienced as a limited 1L though, I can’t say I like the field though.
- Good regional school. I don't mind practicing in the state I'm in. (Originally from New York, now in the south)
- Big law is obviously out of the question. But small personal injury firm work is definitely not something I want to go near. I would gladly accept SA/judicial work, however, I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage that given my grades.

As far as options other than law school here’s some relevant info:
- 3.36 UG GPA for International Relations @ Ivy League school
- 7 years work experience
- Open to starting over in a MBA or MS program. (They'd take about 2 years anyways; about the same remaining time in law school)

Thoughts?

haus

Re: Rising 2L: drop out?

Postby haus » Sun May 31, 2015 6:35 pm

I think that bailing out that this point just to jump into another degree program seems a bit dicey.

Is that the only thing that you have in the hopper for doing in place of attending your 3L year? Do you have any career options that you could pursue, preferably one that you actually enjoy?

Serett

Postby Serett » Sun May 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Based on what you stated, I'm going to assume that you're at UNC, UGA, or something comparable in career outlook. That GPA looks like it'd be bottom 25% somewhere like that. Likely being within those schools' under-employment range wouldn't inspire confidence, especially not looking at $90k + interest total debt, and being out-of-state only makes the prospect of finding employment in those markets sketchier. I don't know which alternative I'd recommend and will have to leave that to others, but that's the type of situation in which dropping out has a strong argument in its favor.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:22 am

Just drop out. You have an ivy ug and hopefully that work experience is good enough to get you into a good mba program (but dont know much about mba programs tbh).

personofinterest

Postby personofinterest » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:37 am

be brave and quit. you made lots of valid arguments to leave, and there isn't anything keeping you in law school. quit while you can (right now)!

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:38 am

It will cost you literally nothing to participate in OCI first, though. I agree with up thread that it will be very difficult with your school/grades, but at least do your damnedest over the summer to make a go of it.

I would not continue on for another full year into the Vale with your grades though.

Overall, figure out what you want to do with your life (if not law) and use grad school as a means to get that if necessary. Don't just jump from one program to another.

TFALAWL

Postby TFALAWL » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:44 am

At the very least, you should spend this summer trying to find a job. Amongst those who aren't "traditionally" competitive for SA's, I don't think there's a big difference between a 3.2 at UVA, vs. a 3.0 at UGA. Granted, your SA would probably be at a smaller shop, but there are small firms in low COL cities that pay around 80k -- maybe worth taking a look at.

In addition, why are you even in law school? If your life-long dream is to become a prosecutor/pd/anything PI; or alternatively, if you couldn't imagine yourself being anything but a lawyer, then stay, and accept that you will have a hard time getting your foot in the door.

If you came to law school just to make money (which I'm intuiting, given that you've mentioned other career possibilities), then I would just hustle this summer, and if nothing works out, then drop out.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”