What would you do with a 3.9-4.0?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
muttercore

What would you do with a 3.9-4.0?

Postby muttercore » Mon May 18, 2015 6:50 pm

I am a rising 2L at a T25 with a 3.9-4.0, class rank 1-5. What would you do with these numbers? Pretend debt is not an issue. Not really willing to move to a biglaw market for biglaw's sake. Very confident in getting offers from midlaw firms in my regional city in which I have ties. Would possibly be willing to relocate for FedGov or clerkship. Any thoughts?

Mullens

Re: What would you do with a 3.9-4.0?

Postby Mullens » Mon May 18, 2015 7:11 pm

muttercore wrote:I am a rising 2L at a T25 with a 3.9-4.0, class rank 1-5. What would you do with these numbers? Pretend debt is not an issue. Not really willing to move to a biglaw market for biglaw's sake. Very confident in getting offers from midlaw firms in my regional city in which I have ties. Would possibly be willing to relocate for FedGov or clerkship. Any thoughts?

Transfer to Harvard

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 pm

I'd transfer to YHS, *maybe* C or Chi [if you decide bigshit is your thing] --> this, operating under the assumption that debt is not a thing

Consider whether you think you can maintain top 1% the next 2 years ... it's a lot of work.

best,

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 18, 2015 9:58 pm

I don't think maintaining rank should be a big concern. Just graduated and of top 5 in my class after 1L 4 are still top 5 (1 person slipped to top 15). BUT depending on goals transferring to YHS might make sense.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Thu May 21, 2015 7:51 am

Don't transfer. If you don't already have a huge scholarship where you are now, apply to those schools, get accepted, then leverage for large scholarship at current school. Rank 1-5 at a T25 is not going to have a problem with big law or clerking. You lose that distinction when you transfer.

alphasteve

Postby alphasteve » Thu May 21, 2015 4:09 pm

I think this depends a lot on what you want to do. So, I think it has to be broken down by scenario, but a general piece of advice is to apply to HYSCCN:

If you are taking no debt or debt is not an issue, and think you'll want to practice mid law all your life: don't transfer. Having a pedigree'd degree won't matter much and may actually create concern among your regional targets (why would he move away if he just wanted to come back?)

If you want FedLaw: not particularly versed on this, but I'd consider a transfer to HYS, though your only realistic chance is H, if I recall correctly from researching this when I was in LS. Stanford may be a decent chance too, but Y is likely out. (All of this depending on your admissions profile, I'd guess.) Before xferring to CCN, I'd dig deep into stats on placement into the Fed jobs, and what assistance they provide.

If you want clerkship: first, check your own schools stats. T25 isn't a terrible position to be coming from for district court clerkships, at least for those that aren't exceedingly competitive. But it's school specific. All of HYSCCN would boost your chances, but not sure how much CCN would do so. If you want appellate level, I'd say this weighs more in favor of transferring, particularly to HYS. That said, if you would want to just go back to regional mid law after, consider whether one of these clerkships serves your best interest. Mid law may do a blend of state and federal work, likely more state (I'm assuming you are thinking lit based on fed interest). A state so ct clerkship may be more useful for your practice and valuable to your potential employers than a district court clerkship in a random jx. Especially look at clerks for the district court you are closest to - this would likely be most valuable to a regional mid law firm and may not require transferring to boost chances.

Other reasons to transfer and only to HYS, and maybe Chi, would be if you were interested in ever going for academia.

Basically, figure out what you want to do long term. Figure out what helps get you there, and then look to see if transferring actually improves your chances in a non-negligible way to achieve those goals.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:22 pm

I disagree about transferring for circuit clerkships. Although I suppose it varies by the T25/T30. At ND, the top kids were pretty well positioned for very good clerkships. In 2014 we sent multiple kids to feeders, and we have two SCOTUS clerks this term. If you are one of the top 5, the influential profs will call for you and get you interviews, you'll probably get something (whether it's a feeder or not). If you transfer to H, you lose a lot of those advantages and you are just a random kid who transferred to H. I doubt most of the people who end up with feeder clerkships at H were transfers.

alphasteve

Postby alphasteve » Thu May 21, 2015 7:27 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I disagree about transferring for circuit clerkships. Although I suppose it varies by the T25/T30. At ND, the top kids were pretty well positioned for very good clerkships. In 2014 we sent multiple kids to feeders, and we have two SCOTUS clerks this term. If you are one of the top 5, the influential profs will call for you and get you interviews, you'll probably get something (whether it's a feeder or not). If you transfer to H, you lose a lot of those advantages and you are just a random kid who transferred to H. I doubt most of the people who end up with feeder clerkships at H were transfers.

This is definitely a fair point.

dingus

Postby dingus » Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 pm

I'd stay.

The T14 pedigree won't open up many, if any, jobs not already available to you.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:04 am

Sup. I was pretty close to your situation (top 5 people after first semester, top 10 after second). I decided to stay but thought about transferring. If I were you, I'd stay.

First, clerkships will be pretty accessible to anyone in the top ten people or so from a T-25. Maybe not the astoundingly difficult ones, but I had multiple interviews and got a district court clerkship in my top choice. Like someone else said, you probably net do yourself a disservice because you have to start cultivating references/recommendations all over again. I know for a fact that I got two or three interviews because one of my references, a really well-regarded professor, made calls on my behalf. Plus my sense is that judges want superb grades over superb school. Sure, it's nice to get both, but if it's top 5% T25 v. top 20% H, the T25 person wins.

Second, the same dynamic is present for gov jobs. Gov jobs, with the exception of a few outliers (SDNY AUSA comes to mind, same with DOJ Appellate), don't really differentiate between schools.

Third, depends on where you want to end up. I thought about transferring for a long time, but I realized that it didn't make any sense. I was going to school in the market where I wanted to work after I graduated, I would take out more debt to go to a school with essentially the exact same job prospects, and I had less than zero interest in working in NY. If you can say the same, then you should prob stay. Your post says you're confident you'll get offers in the secondary market where you have ties. I don't doubt it, but is that the market you want to be in?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:12 am

I would post more information about current school & current market as well as about your career goals in order to generate better responses.

Just the fact that you're posting here indicates to me that you need to submit transfer apps to Harvard, Yale, Stanford & Chicago so that you know your options & not be left wondering or regretting. Once you know your options & clarify your career goals, then repost.

I think that the above experienced posters have made it clear that you don't need to transfer if your goal is to secure a federal judicial clerkship.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”