From Law School to Talent Agency?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hotwetman21

From Law School to Talent Agency?

Postby hotwetman21 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Before anyone rips me a new one for trying the cliche "attending law school to become an agent," let me preface this thread by saying that I went to a very average state school for undergraduate, double majored in econ and poly sci, had a sub 3.0 GPA. So obviously out of college I had no chance of working in a mailroom of an agency. Currently at a TT, but just got accepted T20 via transfer. Dream is to become a talent agent, and yes I am willing to work in the mailroom after law school. Anyone have any good advice on obtaining this goal?I have a few connections but they're bit of a stretch.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Re: From Law School to Talent Agency?

Postby Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi There!

I hope all is well.

If your end goal is to be a talent agent, it sounds like a law degree at least helps you if someone is going to need you to help them enter into contractual transactions and represent clients as an agent.

Network at your school’s or your local bar association’s events related to entertainment law – as you let people know what you’re interested in, you can get better ideas on how to find opportunities to get into that market. However, whatever you do, expect that it will take a lot of work and you will need to gain credibility. Speaking to a professor who has connections in the field can work out the best, since professors are used to seeing law students who are exploring options.
Best of luck!

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:27 pm

hotwetman21 wrote:Before anyone rips me a new one for trying the cliche "attending law school to become an agent," let me preface this thread by saying that I went to a very average state school for undergraduate, double majored in econ and poly sci, had a sub 3.0 GPA. So obviously out of college I had no chance of working in a mailroom of an agency. Currently at a TT, but just got accepted T20 via transfer. Dream is to become a talent agent, and yes I am willing to work in the mailroom after law school. Anyone have any good advice on obtaining this goal?I have a few connections but they're bit of a stretch.

Well you preempted my mail room suggestion. :lol:

Where is the T20 you are transferring to located? Is the TT in LA or NYC?

If you're not transferring to UCLA/USC, then I'm assuming you aren't going to a city with major talent agencies. This will make it difficult to network and build strong connections in the industry. The same goes for the TT.

Mail room after law school might be your only option.

hotwetman21

Postby hotwetman21 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Currently I am going to be transferring to GW, on the waitlist for Georgetown (highly doubt I will get in), havent heard back from USC or UCLA yet. I am completely happy with working in the mailroom after law school. Since, I have no connections, I was just hoping that transferring from a TT to a more name-recognitioned school will at least give me the opportunity to interview for a mailroom position (hopefully applying online and when the recruiter shuffles through thousands of applications that GW law grad will somewhat stick out). Thanks for all the help so far! I am shooting for the big four in NYC and LA.

hotwetman21

Postby hotwetman21 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Where is the T20 you are transferring to located? Is the TT in LA or NYC?

Mail room after law school might be your only option.[/quote]

TT was in Non-NYC Mid-atlantic
Mailroom would be awesome (Yeap, I am looking forward to 12/hr after law school)

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:31 am

hotwetman21 wrote:TT was in Non-NYC Mid-atlantic
Mailroom would be awesome (Yeap, I am looking forward to 12/hr after law school)

Sounds like you have realistic expectations and goals. Best of luck!

psm11

Postby psm11 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 pm

hotwetman21 wrote:Before anyone rips me a new one for trying the cliche "attending law school to become an agent," let me preface this thread by saying that I went to a very average state school for undergraduate, double majored in econ and poly sci, had a sub 3.0 GPA. So obviously out of college I had no chance of working in a mailroom of an agency. Currently at a TT, but just got accepted T20 via transfer. Dream is to become a talent agent, and yes I am willing to work in the mailroom after law school. Anyone have any good advice on obtaining this goal?I have a few connections but they're bit of a stretch.

Hey man, I am currently getting ready to finish my last year of law school in the fall and have spent my last two summers working in the entertainment industry in LA. A little background on me, for most of my life I wanted to be a lawyer. I still think I want to be one, but I have always loved the movie industry and have always had the urge to give the agent thing a try. I go to a small school in Pittsburgh but won't graduate with too much debt. I spent my 1L summer working for a manager (he repped a couple of high profile people but was shifting his focus to producing). This summer I am working for a well known producer who has 2 shows on Netflix and has a multi-picture deal with a major film studio. I did very little actual legal work during these two jobs. Mostly I was an assistant which, as you may or may not know, isn't the greatest (your job is 99.9% answering calls and emails and keeping your boss as happy as possible). While I might not have been getting much legal experience, I was defiantly getting something, which is probably more valuable than legal experience for which you want to do, and that's connections. I hate to break it to you, but any agency worth working for, and at this point there is really only 2 (WME and CAA), going to law school isn't going to get you in the door. Every single person I know both non-JD and JD who are working or have worked at either of those two places got their job because of a close either personal of professional connection. Many worked 1 or 2 internships for a summer for free, busted their asses, just to get close to the people that could get them in the door at either CAA or WME. I am still weighing my options, post graduation, but my boss this summer has already promised he would help me in anyway he can. He is great friends with a number of powerful agents at both CAA (guys like Toth and Whigham) and WME (his brother is an agent at WME). These kind of connections are the only way your getting a job at either of these two places.

My advice to you is find any entertainment job you can in LA (whether that be working for a producer, manager, agent, page program, etc.) you need to start building solid connections in the industry. Also, make sure you really want to be an agent. Everyone thinks they want to be one, they all think it will be just like Entourage--hate to break it to you but it's not. You'll be an assistant making 30-40k and working 10-12 hour days for years and even if you kill it there is no guarantee you'll ever get promoted. Most people use the agency as a starting point before moving on. Very few make it to agent.

hotwetman21

Postby hotwetman21 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:31 am

psm11 wrote:

Hey man, I am currently getting ready to finish my last year of law school in the fall and have spent my last two summers working in the entertainment industry in LA. A little background on me, for most of my life I wanted to be a lawyer. I still think I want to be one, but I have always loved the movie industry and have always had the urge to give the agent thing a try. I go to a small school in Pittsburgh but won't graduate with too much debt. I spent my 1L summer working for a manager (he repped a couple of high profile people but was shifting his focus to producing). This summer I am working for a well known producer who has 2 shows on Netflix and has a multi-picture deal with a major film studio. I did very little actual legal work during these two jobs. Mostly I was an assistant which, as you may or may not know, isn't the greatest (your job is 99.9% answering calls and emails and keeping your boss as happy as possible). While I might not have been getting much legal experience, I was defiantly getting something, which is probably more valuable than legal experience for which you want to do, and that's connections. I hate to break it to you, but any agency worth working for, and at this point there is really only 2 (WME and CAA), going to law school isn't going to get you in the door. Every single person I know both non-JD and JD who are working or have worked at either of those two places got their job because of a close either personal of professional connection. Many worked 1 or 2 internships for a summer for free, busted their asses, just to get close to the people that could get them in the door at either CAA or WME. I am still weighing my options, post graduation, but my boss this summer has already promised he would help me in anyway he can. He is great friends with a number of powerful agents at both CAA (guys like Toth and Whigham) and WME (his brother is an agent at WME). These kind of connections are the only way your getting a job at either of these two places.

My advice to you is find any entertainment job you can in LA (whether that be working for a producer, manager, agent, page program, etc.) you need to start building solid connections in the industry. Also, make sure you really want to be an agent. Everyone thinks they want to be one, they all think it will be just like Entourage--hate to break it to you but it's not. You'll be an assistant making 30-40k and working 10-12 hour days for years and even if you kill it there is no guarantee you'll ever get promoted. Most people use the agency as a starting point before moving on. Very few make it to agent.

So there is no chance of breaking into the mailroom without knowing someone? I would be more than happy to work for ICM, Paradigm, or UTA

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:18 am

hotwetman21 wrote:
psm11 wrote:

So there is no chance of breaking into the mailroom without knowing someone? I would be more than happy to work for ICM, Paradigm, or UTA

There's always a chance. Go out and network your ass off. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. If you want it, go get it.

trey ohh five

Postby trey ohh five » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:12 am

I don't mean to come off as brash, but if you want to work for a talent agency then why did you apply to transfer to schools in DC, a city that has little to no talent agencies?

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:29 am

Bruh, do you have a backup plan?

trey ohh five

Postby trey ohh five » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 am

pancakes3 wrote:Bruh, do you have a backup plan?

Yeah OP I hate to be the bearer of bad news but for what you're trying to do, a degree from GW probably won't hold anymore weight than your previous TT. You should've aimed for NYC or LA. I'm not saying you're dead in the water, but you're just going to have to hustle harder.

hotwetman21

Postby hotwetman21 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:51 pm

:(

psm11

Postby psm11 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Hey man,

Didn't mean to be such a downer in the last post. Also, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I certainly wouldn't say there is "no chance". I have met a few people that mass mailed there resumes to all the agencies and some landed an interview and were eventually hired at WME or CAA. However, all of them had a lot of experience in the industry in LA. Most of the people I know who work at either CAA or WME got their job because their last boss knew an agent, hr person, etc. at those agencies and was able to send their resume directly to the people that make the hiring decision. Everyone who wants to work in entertainment, be it as an agent, a producer, director, etc. all know that CAA and WME are great starting places (you get to make connections with the people who have had a hand in almost every movie and tv show. Thus, you have everyone gunning for a shot to start in the mailroom. So, that's why I advise that you start making as many connections as you can in the industry because chances are one of those connections does business with either CAA or WME and can get your resume in the right persons hand. And, to be honest, if you are working for someone who doesn't interact with one of those agencies on a consistent basis, I would advise not wasting you time with them. It might sound harsh, but CAA and WME put together almost everything you see on screen and on TV and if your working for someone who doesn't rub elbows with agents from either agency, chances are they are a nobody and not gunna get you anywhere.

Certainly nothing wrong with working at ICM, UTA, Paradigm, or APA (I would throw Gersh in there too as they have really been landing a lot of great clients). I have a friend who started at APA and within 1.5 years was a full agent. The nice thing about the more boutique agencies (not ICM or UTA) is that, IMO, you have a better chance of promotion and in less time if you are really good. Getting promoted to agent at either CAA, WME, UTA, or ICM is almost like making partner in big law. It is extremely hard and political. You can do everything right and be an amazing assistant who would be a killer agent and it still won't happen.

All and all man, if you really wanna go the agency route just start mass mailing agencies, production companies, studios, etc. Build those connections if you land somewhere other than an agency then use them to get into the mailroom. If you make it into CAA or WME and you don't make it as an agent the experience and having it on your resume will be invaluable if you stay in showbiz. Best of luck to you man. I am currently getting all my resume stuff together to send over to CAA, WME, UTA, and ICM along with some studios, production companies, and entertainment law firms. If I can be of any more help don't hesitate to send me a message.

hotwetman21 wrote:
psm11 wrote:

psm11

Postby psm11 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:23 pm

I can't emphasize enough how important connections are in this business. Where you went to school means very little if anything. In the agency world you are only as good as the last desk you covered. In other words, a top agency 99% of the time will hire the kid from a shit school who just spent the last 6 months on a producer or execs desk at HBO over the kid ranked number 1 from HYS. Sure there may be some cases where an agency hired someone simply because they went to a really great school but the majority of the time they are going to look at your past entertainment experience.

trey ohh five wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:Bruh, do you have a backup plan?

Yeah OP I hate to be the bearer of bad news but for what you're trying to do, a degree from GW probably won't hold anymore weight than your previous TT. You should've aimed for NYC or LA. I'm not saying you're dead in the water, but you're just going to have to hustle harder.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”