NYT Lawyers With Lowest Pay Report More Happiness

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

splittermcsplit88

Re: NYT Lawyers With Lowest Pay Report More Happiness

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 pm

I think it's more about different types of happiness than the degree that's associated with certain legal jobs. The biglaw associate has the happiness associated with having much greater income in his/her bank account (no debt, peace of mind), while the less-earning public interest/gov attorney has the happiness associated with work-life balance. It's just that there are trade-offs to each type. And it's about choosing which end of the spectrum you prefer to live in.

abogadesq

Re: NYT Lawyers With Lowest Pay Report More Happiness

Postby abogadesq » Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 am

It's a double-edged sword for me. I would undoubtedly feel more fulfilled doing something that I know directly benefits society (legal assistance, prosecuting violent crime, etc.). However, the opportunity costs of working in a low-paying field will always be in the back of my mind. I will always think "what if I took that six-figure job." While happiness is a bell curve in relation to money, I am living well before the top of the bell.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”